Home
Posted By: dallased Carbine saddle rings - 01/26/19
I have to apologize to the couple folks who I told that I have carbine saddle rings. I, in fact, do have them, however they are the screw in type for the Winchester model 94. I thought I had just rings but they all are a complete unit.
Thanks Dallased. I never did tell the end of my tale - I took the misshapen ring I had to my jeweler friend, and he reshaped it for me on a mandrel. I will post some pics to finish my post this week sometime.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/28/19
I just found this old picture in an old album of mine from 2003.

They might still carry them, not sure, it's been more than 15 years since I bought it, came with the ring and staple from Western Gun Parts in Edmonton Alberta, brand new repro.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/28/19
They still sell alot of Savage parts.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/28/19
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I just found this old picture in an old album of mine from 2003.

They might still carry them, not sure, it's been more than 15 years since I bought it, came with the ring and staple from Western Gun Parts in Edmonton Alberta, brand new.

Does it have a part number or SKU?
No thats all that came in the package I think.

Camera quality wasn't to great 15 years ago either.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/28/19
Call 'em up and schedule a run of 100. grin
You might have to because I think they won't ship anything under $75 anymore, so you better make a list of other parts you need.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/28/19
They sell on GB. I sent them a message asking.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
Sorry we do not, tough to find. Thanks

Western Gun Parts Ltd. (W.G.P. Ltd.)
18124 - 107 Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta, T5S 1K5, Canada
Phone: 780-489-5711 | Fax: 780-489-5717
Open Mon-Fri from 8-4 MST. Closed on weekends.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
Probably haven't had any in stock for 15 years haha, maybe I should have bought them all up when I had the chance.
Posted By: ctw Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
I wonder how close these are?

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1247.htm

They may even make a few if you have the specs
Posted By: Loggah Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
The hard part on the savage staple is the uneven length of the legs . Don
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
I have a grinder.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
grinIts were the shoulders on the staple bottom out on the receiver. i think you would deform the staple quite a bit to get both shoulders to bottom out! crazy
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
I can grind just one down. grin

The real trick is making sure the legs are the right diameter and both are as long or longer than they need to be. Shortening each one individually shouldn't be tough.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I have a grinder.

How would you move the little shoulder, it's at different heights?
Posted By: ctw Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
You don't move the shoulder you remove one. And a call to these guys may prove they coud make a run if they had the specs.
Posted By: pal Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/29/19
...Camera quality wasn't to great 15 years ago either.

Camera/lens quality was great 15 or 50 years ago. That photo looks like it was taken with a pinhole camera. smile
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
Ah, didn't know the shoulders were at different heights. They would be, tho, obvously. Doh!

Have to make a sleeve to roll up one side and some JB Weld and there ya go. grin

I really should stay off of technical threads until work eases up and I can sleep again someday.
Posted By: ctw Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
I think Joes picture only shows one shoulder but differant lengths if the diameter is the same should not be to hard. I remember a long ago thread on this and ring diameter.
Posted By: kellory Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
What about making a casting from an original?
Posted By: Loggah Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
The ones i got from Wisners years ago were made correctly with the shoulders at different heights. i still have one new one with ring in the package. I put the other one on my trapper,i drilled the holes to install it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
Another pic of it showing the shoulders. Again, another crappy pic but at least you can see a bit more detail. It popped right in. That old gun is long gun, it was the one that had the saddle ring and crescent butt plate.

[Linked Image]
If I knew the thread size, and had some symmetrical ones. It should be that hard to make a vice mounted hand levered gig to tweak heated u-bolts to match.
Posted By: ctw Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
I think these were pressed / staked in place?
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
Ya theres no thread, they're just tapped in and peened from the inside of the receiver.
What is the size of the offset in the shoulders? And is there a supply available of symmetrical ones? A plate with the proper offset and two drilled holes to fit the legs, a couple of Union nuts to match the thread pattern, a few minutes on the lathe to match drilled holes in the bottom of the plate. And a torch. Heat and pull with a wrench, let cool. Should be precise and repeatable.
Ya theres no thread, they're just tapped in and peened from the inside of the receiver.

If there is no thread to the replacement staple, and it needs the offset adjustment to a symmetrical one, I'd cut a lever that hooks under the curve, and pockets the shoulder like a nail starter. A vice and a little heat should tweak it.
(I build medieval armor, this looks like a simple adjustment to me, as long as the shouldered staple already exists.)
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
If someone wants to approach homestead parts about reproducing the staple, I'll take a few just to help encourage them to make the part. None of my SRC's are missing the staple but one might turn up that's missing the staple.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
Maybe Wisners would make them again !! and they are here in the U.S.

www.wisnersinc.com/
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
I've talked to Wisners a couple of times about 99 parts. Very poor response so far.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Carbine saddle rings - 01/30/19
The ring sounds fairly easy to do if you have that ability. There are many SRC out there that are just missing the ring. I think it is .125" wire...?
© 24hourcampfire