Home
Just wondering. I've got several Savage swivels in the original packing. Just wondering how many variants there are.
George, w/o throwing a safe open to verify, I believe this is the one they used on the buttstock of the DL. If not, damn close to it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-70-Savage-99-One-Rear-Stock-Sling-Swivel-1-stud/113240508712?hash=item1a5da90928:g:l2wAAOSw~p1blZow:rk:149:pf:0
Are they stamped #7 George?

Those are the usual ones you see on factory rifles but they weren't put on at the factory.

The Savage number 7's were ordered by the gun shops and installed there if the customer wanted them. I don't think I've ever come across anything stating that these were installed at the factory.
That's kinda what I was thinking Joe. I've got a couple packages of the #7s and was wondering if those were "factory" why didn't more 99s come with them installed. Hey, it's been a slow couple of days here. blush wink smile
Never saw them much on 99's, alot of the rimfires had them installed though.
Here what the early 99RS setup looked like. This is a 1933 99RS.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Here what the early 99RS setup looked like. This is a 1933 99RS.

[Linked Image]

That is also known as a Winchester Super Grade swivel.

Does your sling have two rivets on the hooks and diamond shaped staples on the keepers?

Originally Posted by Poconojack

Does your sling have two rivets on the hooks and diamond shaped staples on the keepers?

I can't swear this for all swivels, but I had a pair of RS swivels and some Super Grade swivels side by side and the only difference was the finish. The RS swivels were smooth and buffed and blued. The Super Grade weren't buffed very well, had a bumpy or textured surface.

Just wondering if a pic of the staples on the keepers of the 99RS sling is available?

Thanks

Just wondering if a pic of the staples on the keepers of the 99RS sling is available?

Thanks

Thanks

I'm not at home to pull it out; don't have a picture of them on my laptop. I do have this picture on my laptop of the rivets; sling is 7/8" wide.

Attached picture IMG_0692 resized.jpg

Thank you.
That’s not a Winchester sling.
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I can't swear this for all swivels, but I had a pair of RS swivels and some Super Grade swivels side by side and the only difference was the finish. The RS swivels were smooth and buffed and blued. The Super Grade weren't buffed very well, had a bumpy or textured surface.

I bet $100 that all those Savage and Winchester QD swivels came out of the same factory in Michigan or someplace.
The ends of the keepers overlap and are sewn parallel to the sides with a brown thread.

Thank you.
Found my old picture.. misremembered (see what I said about I should stay out of technical threads?).

Dimensions are the same, but 99RS is rounded top and the Super Grade has flat cuts.

RS on the left. Again, the design may have changed over the years for either one.

[Linked Image]

Now we need to start gathering pictures of sling swivels from RS's from different years and see if they changed. We found at the Fest last year that the sling studs changed.

Just thought that if it was a Winchester sling the swivel may have some kind of Winchester connection. As it is now, if that’s a Savage sling the swivel may have a Savage connection.
RS is 1932. The Winchester 64, 71 and 52 Sporter are listed at a year or two later. What other models used them and when?
Rick,I'm pretty sure the Winchester super grade model 54's used them ,and they came out in 1925! Don
Knew the Model 70 was later but know little about the 54 history...thanks.

I'm guessing they were produced by someone other than Winchester and are probably the same item.
I was a little hazy in my recollection but I confirmed that M54's were intro'ed in 1925. M54 Super Grade debuted 1934, not so very long before the 54 was discontinued to make way for the M70. 54 SG's are rare.
What about the hook style swivels? Were they pretty much the same thing as Winchester?

Actually, there are three basic sizes of hook swivels. Winchester used the largest/longest of the three. Not sure which size Savage or Marlin used, but these days when offered for sale any of the three sizes are frequently indicated for use with all three manufacturer’s guns. I have examples of all three sizes. I can email a pic if someone will be kind enough to post in the Savage Collectors forum or I can post a pic myself in the Image Gallery.
There are the Parker Hale sling hooks to that people constantly pawn off as Savage/Winchester on Ebay and they're alot shorter, easy to see without even opening the auction.
Im pretty sure these hooks were used on the early 1899 Savage rifles, they are long ones similar to what Winchester used. The later R and RS rifles from the 50's used shorter hook. Here is my early special order 1899 with original sling. Don

[Linked Image]
"...I confirmed that M54's were intro'ed in 1925. M54 Super Grade debuted 1934..."

Looking at Drew's R/RS data and my data the starting serials fall in the mid 1933 range. Someone had an idea but hard to tell who was first. Maybe the manufacture just added it their product offerings.
Rick, I knew the 54 came out in 1925,i didn't know when the supergrade was produced. Heres a few pictures of the original 1899 sling and hooks.
I believe it could have also been used on the 1895's also according to its pat. date. I also think the same sling was used on early winchesters. Don

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My 1912 HP has the period correct “eyes, studs”. Murray said sling and swivels were available for $1.50. Would it have used the hooks. Someday I’d like to put a period correct sling on it.
I must not have read all of Dons post, if they were used, possibly, on the 1895’s, I guess they would be on my 1912.
So why do pre-64 70's draw such a premium over the 54's?
Joe, Basically the 70 is a upgraded 54. We dont want to start talking about Winchesters now do we !!!!!! blush blush grin grin
No, I think the OP accomplished what he wanted. laugh laugh laugh grin grin grin
Inquiring minds want to know! grin

Hook swivel pic posted in Image Gallery
here you go:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
here you go:
[Linked Image]

Holy Cow, life just even more complicated!
Rory: please pm me, I have something important to discuss with you. I tried to pm you but your pms are over the limit. Mel Chung
© 24hourcampfire