Home
Posted By: Savageupnorth Winter reading - 01/29/19
Not sure if this has come here yet. "The Rifle in America" by Philip B. Sharpe 1938. I have 1995 reprint by NRA for The firearms Classic Library so pages I mention will be for that edition. Pages 315 to 340 cover Savage thru 1938. Pretty good info although some is quoted from catalogs. Covers all Savage rifles in addition to 1895 - 99s. He has personal conversations (quoted) with Newton about his intentions for the .250 Savage cartridge (100 grain bullets) and Savage's different direction (3000 fps with 87 grain). A good read from almost 40 years before Murray's book.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19

Presently reading ‘Big Bucks The Benoit Way’
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
"Blood Meridian" Cormac McCarthy. Then back to more Robert MacFarlane: mountain, landscape and nature writing.
Posted By: madtrapper143 Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Reading "Shots at Whitetails" by Larry Koller. Mr. Koller was a Savage 99 fan. Will follow that up with "Grouse and Grouse Hunting" by Frank Woolner. I have read both several times but they still are enjoyable reads.

Darryl
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Madtrapper,

+1

Don't forget Burton Spiller.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Hunting Rutting Whitetails and Come November. Both by Gene Wensel.

Best
Steve
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Legendary Deer Camps.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Bruce, I'm going to have to watch for that one!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
I've read and re-read Sharpe's books so many times I've forgotten how many. Excellent reference work for many subjects. Every gun nut should have a copy "The Rifle in America" in his library, as well as his "Complete Guide to Handloading".

One of Dad's buddies was a neighbor of Sharpe's and gave me a few items from his estate sale including a couple sealed boxes of pre-war Ball M1 and Ball M2 ammo. I ought to just take them out and shoot them. Not! Supposedly I met Sharpe during a trip to see Mr. Hensdill but I was pretty small and don't remember it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Not reading any gun books at the moment, but just finished James Lee Burke's latest Dave Robicheaux novel. Can't recommend it enough. Currently in the middle of "A Gentleman in Moscow", Amor Towles, and am enjoying it very much.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
I have precious few books. All about reloading, poems by Robert Frost, or blacktail deer! Anything else I can dredge up on the net.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
My Greatest Day in Baseball, by John P. Carmichael and others, 1945. So, many of the stories are from the dead ball era. I'm trying to find one of my favorite tales from that era. The coach was on the bench. The opponents game winning runner was on third. There was a pop fly down the third base line, and the coach saw the third baseman wasn't going to make the catch. This was in the day of player coaches. So, he called himself in for the third baseman, made the catch, and won the game. After that they changed the rules that substitutions couldn't be made during play. This is a made for kids book and a quick read. After that I plan to start on my Sahib ten volume set of Kipling. Love his tales of the Soldiers Three. The Light That Failed is a favorite also, I might start with that one.
Posted By: NorthwestHunter Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
I'm reading the Book of Proverbs, and circling all the verses about wise men keeping their mouths shut. This is survival 101 right now, to keep the peace at home!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Originally Posted by NorthwestHunter
I'm reading the Book of Proverbs, and circling all the verses about wise men keeping their mouths shut. This is survival 101 right now, to keep the peace at home!

Don't forget the verse about it being better to sleep on the corner of the roof than share a house with a disagreeable wife.

How bad does it have to be for it to be better to sleep on the corner of the roof?
Posted By: MnFn Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
BOWHUNTING by Monty Browning. Good stories and great photography about traditional bowhunting all over the globe. It should appeal to a lot of guys here.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Originally Posted by NorthwestHunter

I get into more trouble by not saying anything. My wife asked why I didn't respond to something? I gave her Plato's quote that is in LBK's signature
Posted By: Jim585 Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Taps Tips by H G Tapply
Posted By: saddlering Re: Winter reading - 01/29/19
Facing down fear by John Sharp and the Best Of Jack Oconner!
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
"The Tigers Revenge" by Clawd Balz blush

[Linked Image]

Not really.... Gun Digest 35th Anniversary 1981, The Savage Pocket Automatic Pistol Model 1907, by Donald M. Simmons. Again!...
Posted By: saddlering Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
I have this framed and on the wall, Telling how the 22HP is a Tiger rifle!
Posted By: docost99 Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
Illumination In The Flatwoods by Joe Hutto.
What can I say? Got turkeys on the brain!
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
Originally Posted by docost99
Illumination In The Flatwoods by Joe Hutto.
What can I say? Got turkeys on the brain!

docost, Lovett Williams was a turkey biologist in Florida. I read his books and bought cassette tapes (yes tapes!).
His emphasis was on understanding the turkeys biology/behavior and basically getting in the way of that behavior.
I've taken a lot of turkeys because of his advice.
My favorite tactic is the scratch. Scratch scratch pick(hesitation), scratch scratch pick,... sound you make with hand on dry leaves as you hunt. It will fool Tom.
lovett williams

Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
He's got seven empty loops in the front of his cartridge belt. I wonder if he shot the tiger 13 times? Six in the rifle and seven from the belt. The cartridges in the front are easiest to reach. You wouldn't think he was hunting with them empty.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
I'm reading 'Safari" by Elmer Keith. It took a few years, but I finally found a copy I could buy without needing a cosigner.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
“How to Remodel Your Bathroom” by Lowe’s, Home Depot or your friendly neighborhood plumber. Not as exciting as the stuff you guys are reading but it can be pretty edgy stuff when you have to get it done in a one bath house.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
Re-reading Alan Furst's "The Polish Officer." Sad, but true. If any country (with possible exception of "Kurdistan") has been betrayed by its "friends and neighbors" more than Poland, I'm not aware of it. Furst almost always gets his guns right, which is more than 99.9% of fiction writers can say....we won't even speak of Hollywood.
Posted By: MrFurious Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
Originally Posted by Savageupnorth
Not sure if this has come here yet. "The Rifle in America" by Philip B. Sharpe 1938. I have 1995 reprint by NRA for The firearms Classic Library so pages I mention will be for that edition. Pages 315 to 340 cover Savage thru 1938. Pretty good info although some is quoted from catalogs. Covers all Savage rifles in addition to 1895 - 99s. He has personal conversations (quoted) with Newton about his intentions for the .250 Savage cartridge (100 grain bullets) and Savage's different direction (3000 fps with 87 grain). A good read from almost 40 years before Murray's book.

I have had this book on the shelf for a good 10-12 years now. One of the best references for pre-1938 American rifles I've found in terms of general features and variations.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
Originally Posted by Mesa
Re-reading Alan Furst's "The Polish Officer." Sad, but true. If any country (with possible exception of "Kurdistan") has been betrayed by its "friends and neighbors" more than Poland, I'm not aware of it. Furst almost always gets his guns right, which is more than 99.9% of fiction writers can say....we won't even speak of Hollywood.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I went and ordered a copy off Amazon. I've read a few of Furst's novels but somehow that one got by me. Excellent writer who really captures the flavor of pre-war and wartime Europe.

Another of my all time favorites is Philip Kerr. His flawed anti-hero Bernie Gunther is a man of the times, surviving as a civilian police inspector within Nazi Germany, coerced into a stint in the SS during the war, and his misadventures post-war while trying to evade his past. Real page turners. I anxiously await each new book. (Note: if you want to sample him- and you should- do read them in chronological order. Each novel is capable of standing alone, but the enjoyment is enhanced if taken in order.) Kerr is another writer who gets his guns right, but most of that stuff is limited to German pistols.

The one writer who is flawless about getting his gun stuff right because he's a gun loony in real life (and writes occasional bits for The American Rifleman) is Stephen Hunter. If you've never read any of his stuff (which should also be taken in chronological order) get thee hence to the library/bookstore/Amazon.
Posted By: MnFn Re: Winter reading - 01/30/19
Stephen Hunter👍👍
Posted By: steve99 Re: Winter reading - 01/31/19
Going through the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/ Maturin historical novels. Had read them piecemeal but am now doin' it scientific like, 1st thru 21st. Just about to start "The Ionian Mission", number 8 in the series. Naval yearns following the two main characters in the Napoleonic wars era including our war with the English in 1812. Frigate fights, spies and all sorts of neat stuff. Excellent writer, outstanding characters.
Posted By: 300savagehunter Re: Winter reading - 01/31/19
Jim Corbett for the umphteen time. I never get tired of his writings. Allan Eckert is another favorite.

Mike
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Winter reading - 01/31/19
Picked this up at a yard sale recently,love the old black and white pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Winter reading - 01/31/19
Going through the Hornblower series for about the fourth time or so. smile
Posted By: steve99 Re: Winter reading - 01/31/19
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Going through the Hornblower series for about the fourth time or so. smile

If you enjoy that George, check out O'Brian if you haven't already.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Winter reading - 01/31/19
Carry The Wind - Terry C. Johnston. About the Golden Age of fur trapping in the Rockies. First of a trilogy.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Winter reading - 01/31/19
Yeah, gnoaahh, I have read (and hope to read more of) the Bernie Gunther series. Good stuff; careful research makes good historic fiction!

kenster99, I love Jim Bond's HUGE mulie. I hate his GARISH early Weatherby; makes me ashamed to be one of those "California hunters." So glad that "California style" died out....

Neat pics; thanks for posting!
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Winter reading - 01/31/19
That rifle does have some bling to it. Check out the guy with the deer head stuck in his Buick grill. License plate from North Hollywood, 1956!
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Winter reading - 02/02/19
Originally Posted by wyo1895
He's got seven empty loops in the front of his cartridge belt. I wonder if he shot the tiger 13 times? Six in the rifle and seven from the belt. The cartridges in the front are easiest to reach. You wouldn't think he was hunting with them empty.

The caption says one shot from a 22HP. The Blue Tiger
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Winter reading - 02/02/19
Originally Posted by S99VG
“How to Remodel Your Bathroom” by Lowe’s, Home Depot or your friendly neighborhood plumber. Not as exciting as the stuff you guys are reading but it can be pretty edgy stuff when you have to get it done in a one bath house.

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel too. Start tiling Monday after a gun show tomorrow. Lots of work, but I'm glad to have a winter project. This kind of ambition is very scarce once the heat sets in down here.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Winter reading - 02/02/19
maybe the caption lied
Posted By: melchung Re: Winter reading - 02/06/19
Rory: please e mail me [email protected] , I tried several times to contact you with success. thanks, Mel
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Winter reading - 02/06/19
Odd, I got your pm, you should see my reply. I’ll send an email now.
© 24hourcampfire