Home
Does anyone have suggestions on a rifle chambered in 250 Savage other than a 99? I’m thinking maybe a bolt action, but am not familiar with what the options are.
Just about all brands made a model or two go to gunbroker and search 250 savage or 250-3000
I have a factory Winchester M70 and Remington 700 Classic. Both are excellent.

My oldest son killed his first buck with the 700. That gun was only made in 1984.

Ruger made a bunch of guns in the 250 Savage. I also have a Savage Model 14. Another excellent rifle.

If I were to get a rifle in 250 Savage and not be a Savage rifle, I would get a Ruger bolt action, Ruger #1 or the Remington 700 Classic.

The Winchester Model 70 will be very expensive.
There’s also Savage’s own 1920 and 20/26. Are you looking for something modern in 250 to add to the arsenal?
Ruger 77RSI mannlicher stock
Savage has a custom shop where you can order current rifles in non-catalogued chamberings.
I just put an Adams & Bennett 250 Savage barrel on a Savage Axis last night, I have about $360 into it. It could be less than $300 if someone gave me $65 for the new 22-250 barrel that came off.

Great cartridge! It's worth having one, or two,... or six rifles in it...
All worthy candidates, IMO.

For me the ultimate would be a Kurz Mauser in .250-3000. Failing that, a regular M98 Mauser shortened to Kurz dimensions, nestled in an English walnut stock, wearing aperture sights and a G&H QD side mount. Lively and light in weight so as to encourage staying in the hands instead of slung over the back.

A well-used (but honest) pre64 M70 250-3000 SAV. carbine surfaced a couple of years ago and I had to have it.
You're very limited if you want a new rifle. I was going to build an Encore but came across my 1929 99G.
I love my 700 Classic. Plenty of power for taking deer, quite accurate, mild recoil and muzzle blast.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

A well-used (but honest) pre64 M70 250-3000 SAV. carbine surfaced a couple of years ago and I had to have it.

Well, that's a nice find Ted. Well done.

I would suggest the Rem 700. that way you end up with a fast twist barrel. Or get the later 99A in 250S, they were 1 in 10 as well.
[/b] Lively and light in weight so as to encourage staying in the hands instead of slung over the back.[b]

Back when I was a pimple faced kid, I missed the opportunity at a very nice buck because I couldn't get the gun off my shoulder fast enough. When I got back to camp and related the story to my dad and uncle, my dad simply asked my what I had learned that day. Since then I carry a sling in the game pocket of my hunting coat, but the only time it goes on a gun is when I'm dragging out a deer.

Light, short and handy are high on my priority list when choosing a hunting rifle.
I have a Savage 1920 and a Savage model 14 American Classic in 250-3000.I really like them both. I wouldn't pass up a nice model 70 Winchester so chambered, but do not currently have one.
Grabagun has a Ruger 1A in stock. She's purty!!
https://grabagun.com/media/catalog/...Light-Sporter-21323-736676213238.jpg.jpg
Originally Posted by S99VG
There’s also Savage’s own 1920 and 20/26. Are you looking for something modern in 250 to add to the arsenal?

Whoops, I forgot to add that there’s also Savage’s 40/45 Super Sporters. They don’t get much respect but are fully capable of getting the job done.
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 RL (ultralight) 250-3000. It is not virgin, the owner gave me 37 empty cases and 3 loaded Remington High Velocity 100 grain pointed soft point. Plus, he gave me the 1988 Ruger Sporting Arms catalog where it was listed. In the hunt for a scope and when weather breaks check accuracy.
Remington 700 Classics are fairly common.

Ruger has cataloged them in 77R, 77RL, and 77RSI configurations, plus the Lipsey's non-cataloged limited runs.

Savage has cataloged them in the 20, 20/26, 40, 45, and 110 series rifles.

Winchester has cataloged them in the 54, pre-'64 70, and a one year run in 1986/87.

A potentially less expensive route would be a Marlin XS7 with an after-market A&B barrel.
Originally Posted by roundoak
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 RL (ultralight) 250-3000. It is not virgin, the owner gave me 37 empty cases and 3 loaded Remington High Velocity 100 grain pointed soft point. Plus, he gave me the 1988 Ruger Sporting Arms catalog where it was listed. In the hunt for a scope and when weather breaks check accuracy.

Stick some 100 grain Ballistic Tips on top of 35 gr. H4895 for a good indicator.
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
[/b] Lively and light in weight so as to encourage staying in the hands instead of slung over the back.[b]

Back when I was a pimple faced kid, I missed the opportunity at a very nice buck because I couldn't get the gun off my shoulder fast enough. When I got back to camp and related the story to my dad and uncle, my dad simply asked my what I had learned that day. Since then I carry a sling in the game pocket of my hunting coat, but the only time it goes on a gun is when I'm dragging out a deer.

Light, short and handy are high on my priority list when choosing a hunting rifle.

That's where my sling rides too.

Could well be the ultimate in American made .250-3000 bolt guns. I'll swap you Joe Martin for it!
I owned a Remington Model 7 MS from the Custom Shop. Blued rifle with a 20 inch barrel and a full length laminated stock. Real tack driver with Remington 100 grain bullets.

I'm liquidating a lot of my firearms accumulation and it's now sitting on consignment at a local gun dealer.

If I were going to go custom, I could think of far worse choices than starting with that barreled action and putting it into a professionally executed custom Mannlicher stock.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I have a Savage 1920 and a Savage model 14 American Classic in 250-3000. I really like them both. I wouldn't pass up a nice model 70 Winchester so chambered, but do not currently have one.

+1
Like Jeff G, I have a Savage Axis rifle with an aftermarket barrel. Mine is a 24" E.R. Shaw barrel I bought from MidwayUSA for around $135. I had a gunsmith friend screw it on and headspace it. It is an absolute tack driver. The throat is short, and I can easily get 3,000 fps with a 100 grain bullet. I like the Shaw barrel so much that I called Shaw and ordered a similar barrel in 257 Roberts. That barrel is on another Axis rifle. It also shoots extremely well, and is a "fast" barrel as well. I can heartily recommend E.R. Shaw barrels.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Could well be the ultimate in American made .250-3000 bolt guns. I'll swap you Joe Martin for it!

It’s a deal!

Carbines don't surface all that much and finding one in 250-3000 must have been like hitting the lottery. As far as pre-64 M70s chambered in Savage rounds go, I think I've only seen one and that was in 300. It was about 25-years ago and the seller was asking, I think, about 600-bucks. Which was a steep price for just about anything in the mid-90s. I should have bought that one as I'm sure the value has risen considerably.
What twist did those 70's have?
Originally Posted by mathman
What twist did those 70's have?

All factory specs Winchester 70s have 1-14" ROT barrels, both pre-'64 and the 1986/87 run.
I didn't know that. It would seem Winchester either dropped the ball or 1-14 twists and light(er) bullets were/are all that's needed for killing what needs to be killed.
I'd call it a dropped ball since 1-10 doesn't hurt the 87's and also opens other doors.
Cost more to feed me than the 250.

And don't forget the new Savage 110 anniversary model, available in 250,... for $1600..., you might be able to convince Pocono Jack to part with his W70 carbine with that kind of cash, if it were stuffed into Joe Martin's pockets
Originally Posted by S99VG

I have a 1948 99EG and a 1980ish 99A saddle gun both in 250-3000. I also have a good supply of Remington100gr factory ammo that I’d like to use so was thinking about adding to the arsenal in something other than a 99. I appreciate all the good opinions and I ideas. I also just acquired a Ruger Model 77 in .257 Roberts and am thinking about entering the reloading world. Reloading sounds like a lot of fun. I posted a question about that a couple of weeks back.
Golden28,

If you or others are interested I have nigh new Hornady Grade II 257 Roberts dies, 40 pc NIB Nosler 257 Roberts + P brass [weighed and sorted] and A-Zoom snap caps posted at CGN.

Check your messages.
I have a Ruger M77 Tang Safety made in 1975 according to the serial number. A llittle bulky on the wood, I've thought several times about putting it on a diet, but as long as it shoots as well as it does I'll leave it alone.

What did you do with that? Is it still in original condition?
i have the following in 250 sav:

savage 16 weather warrior
remington 700 classic
ruger 77 hawkeye RSI

the ruger is the handiest and most sexy. also shoots the worst, but still acceptable. muzzle blast is pronounced. the 700 classic is a tackdriver. shoots almost as well as my 700P. barely any recoil or muzzle blast. a little heavy.

the savage is between the other two ... more portable than the remington and more accurate than the ruger. it gets toted the most bc its the most “practical.”
A guy could spend his life just collecting .250's in their various guises, huh?
I'd order an American Classic 14 with upgraded wood from the custom shop if I wanted a 250 bolt
I had one built on a win 70 action, Douglass barrel 1-8 twist
Originally Posted by 99guy
I'd order an American Classic 14 with upgraded wood from the custom shop if I wanted a 250 bolt

what twist??
They stopped selling the 14.

Sigh.
Originally Posted by texken
Originally Posted by 99guy

what twist??

1-10

I have one in 308. It's a very nice rifle.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
They stopped selling the 14.

Sigh.

Say it isn't so!

Is that really true?

WTF?
I owned an FN Supreme in 250-3000 several years ago, very nice rifle.
I have three 250 Sav. Ruger RSI, Savage 14 and 99f with 14 twist. Model 14 is the heaviest but most accurate with 100gr Nos PTover H4895. 99f with 87gr Speer HC is accurate. Haven't put the time in with the RSI to find its sweet spot.
I have a Savage 110 WLE, thats in 250-3000 Savage, and will shoot 3/8 inch group at 100 meters every time I take it out of the case. Great Cartridge !
there was a model 70 in 250 that was bringing $3000. + a couple of days ago on GB
Over on the collectors firearms website there is a Paul Jaeger Custom Mauser rifle in 250-3000. Don’t know how currant it is. I came across the exact jaeger rifle at a local gun shop a few years back in 250-3000. It now sits in my safe. Cost me a 99 eg 250-3000 d+t, with a weaver 3k fine crosshairs scope. Even had the receipt from paxsons sporting goods from 1952 in Philadelphia, a 99 E in 243 excellent condition and a Ruger 77 30-06 solid but used. Though it was a fair trade. Hated to give those 99s up but don’t see those jaegers that often especially in 250. A couple weeks later walked into the same gun shop. Looked over the rack an saw a beautiful custom bolt action in 30-06 sitting there. Guy in front of me asked to look at it. No name but somebody knew how to make a quality rifle. Fingers crossed that he would pass on it but at 850 no luck. Couple weeks later back at the shop and the boys told me the guy took the stock off and the name dale goens inside. Imagine that.
I shot my 700 Classic this Saturday with a hastily put together handload. I had a box of Hornady brass I've been wanting to try out, so I grabbed twenty and went to work. I pushed the necks over the tapered expander in my size die, then I gave the case mouths a light pass inside and out with a chamfer tool. When opening the cabinet the first primers I saw were S&B 5.3 large rifle so I used them. There was a bottle of IMR4166 right in front so that's what I used. I looked at Hodgdon's data for the 90 grain Sierra Game King and saw 35.7 grains was the max charge. Setting up the powder measure I hit 36 grains pretty quick so I left it there. (The extra three tenths didn't bother me at all. Data for the 250 has always proven exceedingly mild in this rifle.) I threw threw the charges and topped them off with the Sierra's set to the length in the data.

The first three shot group was an almost equilateral triangle, inside MOA. I dialed to make POI meet POA and the next three made another nice triangle with the holes lying within a 1" dot. (100 yards) So far so good. I moved down to the 300 yard end of the line, dialed in some up, and wore out a 6" gong with the scope set to 3x.
Here is my 1903 Springfield old school 250 Savage got it from my buddy when he passed.

[Linked Image]

Rest of my 250 Savages

[Linked Image]
I built one on a Howa 1500 action, and had my gun smith screw in a SS Krieger barrel with 1:9 twist and long throat. I left it in the Howa Stock. I've got a Nikon 4.5-14X40 Scope on it. If I do my part it will shoot 5 shot MOA groups with me behind the trigger all day long with a 115 Grain Combined Techologies Ballistic Tips over 40 grains of RL-17 and CCI 200 Primers in Winchester brass. With younger eyes I can see it shootng half to 3/4 minute 5 shot groups. It's sweet. It's killed both deer and hog with no problem at 40 to 115 yards.
I have one IT&D did for me on a Mexican Mauser. No pictures. --- Mel
Mel,s Mex Mauser is very nice !
Golden28,

People here who know Darla and/or me know that I'll suggest a Remington Model 760 in .257 Roberts or .300SAV for especiaily brush country/swamp hunting or anyplace where you MAY need a rapid 2nd shot.
(IF you shoot a pump-shotgun, a pump-rifle is especially appropriate for you, as you already have the "muscle memory".)

yours, tex
Originally Posted by DarlaG
Golden28,

People here who know Darla and/or me know that I'll suggest a Remington Model 760 in .257 Roberts or .300SAV for especiaily brush country/swamp hunting or anyplace where you MAY need a rapid 2nd shot.
(IF you shoot a pump-shotgun, a pump-rifle is especially appropriate for you, as you already have the "muscle memory".)

yours, tex

Either caliber in a Rem 760 would be a wise choice.

Originally Posted by kk alaska
Here is my 1903 Springfield old school 250 Savage got it from my buddy when he passed.

[Linked Image]

Rest of my 250 Savages

[Linked Image]

Very nice.
Ruger 77 RSI

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rest of my 250 Savages

[Linked Image]

Very nice.

I'll say. Is the action shortened? Awful hard to tell from the long range pic.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ruger 77 RSI

[Linked Image]

One of those RSI's has moved on and off and back on my Wish List for nigh onto 40 years. It might be back on again now...
Gary, Dakota, Dakota, stay focused.
I’m liking the 03 too. And the EGs are pretty darn cool too!

One of those RSI's has moved on and off and back on my Wish List for nigh onto 40 years. It might be back on again now...

Just do it! It and a 99F in 30/30 are the only rifles I hunted this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Action not shortened, has a spacer block, and as my buddy says feeds like a fat man at a buffet!
Action not shortened, has a spacer block, and as my buddy says feeds like a fat man at a buffet!

Ha ha ! Gotta remember that line.

Just do it! It and a 99F in 30/30 are the only rifles I hunted this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And to think I was an enabler...

That gives me an idea for a taxidermy mount. Have the head and shoulders mounted vertically from the ceiling, and have a dandy way to display a rifle. (Or catch bras and panties flung off in the heat of the moment.)
That's a great idea. Now I'll have to start hunting for critters with horns.
[quote=gnoahhh]

[Linked Image]

And to think I was an enabler...

That gives me an idea for a taxidermy mount. Have the head and shoulders mounted vertically from the ceiling, and have a dandy way to display a rifle. (Or catch bras and panties flung off in the heat of the moment.)

...oh, yeah have it hanging over the bed..., that will be a great mood setter... make sure the taxidermist mounts it with the tongue dangling out too...
Now you're talkin'!
Have a shortened Mauser in 250-3000(shorter than a Kurz).Had it on GB cause it's a little heavy for my grandaughter.I'll keep it cause it shoot's too good.50 & 100yd target [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
What a doll! Not many smiths around who could/would tackle such a project anymore. After the shortening of the metalwork, everyone conveniently forgets that the stock is then by necessity a hand-inlet proposition too. Not a project for the faint of heart.
Has a custom barrel 1-14 by DuMond.Special order only in the 1930's.He died early 1940's I understand.His client's were Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith.Just for curiosity,I'm going to see what it does with some 100 grainer's Thursday. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I have a Savage 110 WLE in 250-3000. Vintage 1991, has an old school Burris Full Field 3X to 9X that shoots dime size groups at 100 meters. Great Rifle, although at 9 lbs it is a bit heavy to lug around deer hunting.
I have killed three Michigan deer with this Rifle, one 7point, Big 8 point and one doe. All neck shots that dropped in their tracks. I felt like a sniper with that gun.
© 24hourcampfire