Home
Posted By: Fireball2 One fine 95 - 02/13/19
Wow, that thing gives me the jitters.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...vage-model-95-rifle.cfm?gun_id=101179459
Posted By: JeffG Re: One fine 95 - 02/13/19
Who needs a new pick-up truck when you could have a rifle like that instead? I wonder if that case-colored receiver is legit and original? I would hope so at that price point, seems confident of the provenance, it sure would be amazing if it were all correct!
Posted By: deerstalker Re: One fine 95 - 02/13/19
i am stunned that such a fine gun was given into the hand of a bubba to turn the screw on that sight.
seems that bob funk may have been the culprit with the R carved into the stock.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: One fine 95 - 02/13/19
Must be a bunch of collectors too busy trying to get a second on the house to comment.
Posted By: Loggah Re: One fine 95 - 02/13/19
Roy, That rifle has been for sale for years !!!!! Just a bit to expenive in my book ,and obviously everyone else that has looked at it. It is a 100% correct . Don
Posted By: S99VG Re: One fine 95 - 02/13/19
That’s Wow-squared. Once for excellent condition and twice for price. Obviously Mr. Stratton never made that 95 “sing for its supper.”
Posted By: Jaaack Re: One fine 95 - 02/13/19
That rifle sold for $31,625 in the March 2013 Julia auction.
Posted By: texken Re: One fine 95 - 02/13/19
gave me night mares
Posted By: 300savagehunter Re: One fine 95 - 02/13/19
Can't believe the bubba screw slots on that sight.

mike
Posted By: ctw Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
Memory says Jed owned the rifle so his description is a bunch of BS . I think Jed said it came out of canadfa?
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
Originally Posted by JeffG
Who needs a new pick-up truck when you could have a rifle like that instead?

Since you put it like that, doesn't sound so bad...
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
Crap, I just bought the new pickup. I guess I'll see if I can find enough change in my sons new car to buy a lottery ticket. I haven't had enough money to loose any in the seats of my new truck.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
When it came to choosing between new cars or new guns I always chose the guns. That explains some of the jalopies I've driven. I figure as long as it'll get me to the range or the deer woods that's all I need. On top of that I feel it's absurd to spend $40,000 on something that's worth $32,000 the minute I drive it off the lot. A fine collectible rifle won't depreciate like that.

I live in the capitol of yuppiedom- soccer moms driving BMW and Audi SUV's to the grocery store and hair dresser, high school kids behind the wheels of Lexus and Mercedes- and not a single one appreciates the engineering that went into them or the superior driveability of their commuter rigs. By and large it's purely a status symbol for the Great Overwashed Masses, while we old gearheads shake our heads in dismay. Don't even get me started about these knuckleheads and their uberexpensive 4WD's on the occasion of a 1" snowfall.

Rant over. Back to my coffee, or was it back to work?
Posted By: GeneB Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
The Lyman tang sight with the locking arm was introduced about 1905, so that tang sight wasn't what was originally with that rifle, Mr. Stratton himself may have been the 'Bubba' who damaged that screw, or any other previous owner.
Posted By: Loggah Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
Sights can be replaced,they are not an integral part of the 1895 rifle. the original tang sight for the 1895 was attached to the stock with wood screws.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
Did all of the 1895 peep sights go onto the wood? There's 4 listed.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
when i see screws buggered like that , makes me wonder what may have been used to clean the bore, a stove poker? ymmv
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: One fine 95 - 02/14/19
Too much about nothing. Whether the screws go into the wood, or into the metal, they are an easy fix. Stick to buying the P/U and we'll take care of the rest. laugh If all the peeps screwed into the wood, why are the tangs tapped?
Posted By: GeneB Re: One fine 95 - 02/15/19
The only sights that were made to screw into the wood were the early SA Lyman and the Marbles S1S special base, which I think came much later. Like LBK mentions, the tangs were always tapped so they at least had to be working on regular mount tang sights, and I would think this was being looked at even during development. The 1897 catalog list the Lyman SA that goes on the wood and has the Savage No 17 and Savage No 18 & 19 (same sight with different apertures, Lyman made?) that all mount on the tang.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: One fine 95 - 02/15/19
This one looks tang mounted.
[Linked Image]
Holes in wood on 1895
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire