Home
Posted By: Centennial Help Dating - 04/12/19
I Need some help dating a new to me EG. Serial number is 507,3XX, has the Chicopee bbl address, and an * where the boss code would normally be. Im guessing 47 or 48 but cant find a definitive answer.

It came with a Lyman 29 1/2 (the reason i bought it) and is in fantastic shape...except the Jostam recoil pad that was added. It's a shame because the wood has that beautiful deep tiger-striping.

Anyway, thanks,

Chip
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Help Dating - 04/12/19
"I'm guessing 47 or 48 but cant find a definitive answer. "

You are totally correct. I'd say very late 1947 but I don't think the 509000 cutoff we use is a definite number.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: Help Dating - 04/12/19
From memory, my 504xxx was made in January 1948, so I would say 1948.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Help Dating - 04/12/19
In my notes I had something like 504,000 as the end of 1947. But that's not using a very large sample.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Help Dating - 04/12/19
Am I the only OT person on the forum that thought the OP was asking for advise on dating?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Help Dating - 04/12/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Am I the only OT person on the forum that thought the OP was asking for advise on dating?

Nope...
Posted By: saddlering Re: Help Dating - 04/12/19
Count me in to Lol
Posted By: johno Re: Help Dating - 04/13/19
Yeah me to

Johno
Posted By: Centennial Re: Help Dating - 04/13/19
Hey guys, sorry if i wasn't clear. I just wanted to know the year it was manufactured. My research wasn't turning up anything solid.

As for advice on dating...im married, but thanks. My 17yr old on the other hand, well, he needs help.

Funny how a new to you rifle teaches you things you didn't even know to ask. I had no idea there was any question/uncertainty about exact dates and serial numbers for post war production; at least until 1949. Or am i still confused?

Thanks all,

Chip

Posted By: Calhoun Re: Help Dating - 04/13/19
Nope, there’s still plenty of years where things are more guesswork than being a sure thing.
Posted By: Centennial Re: Help Dating - 04/13/19
While we are on the topic of this rifle, is there a specific meaning to the asterisk on the lever boss?
Posted By: Loggah Re: Help Dating - 04/13/19
Just an inspector mark.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Help Dating - 04/14/19
"From memory, my 504xxx was made in January 1948, so I would say 1948."

I think tha date is a Ship Date vs a Production Date. That is the problem with lettering `50's rifle, all that is in the records is a ship date and that is about all. Rifle was produced and sent to the warehouse. It might have shipped that day or 6 months from than.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: Help Dating - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by Rick99
"From memory, my 504xxx was made in January 1948, so I would say 1948."

I think tha date is a Ship Date vs a Production Date. That is the problem with lettering `50's rifle, all that is in the records is a ship date and that is about all. Rifle was produced and sent to the warehouse. It might have shipped that day or 6 months from than.

Rick,

I'm not at home so I don't have access to the letter and the notes I have on my computer just say 1/26/48. But my memory says that you are correct that it is a ship date, so it's very possible mine was made in late 1947. I just assumed that by the time they got up to 5073XX it would have been 1948.
Posted By: texken Re: Help Dating - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2

was thinking the need for another topic in the forum
© 24hourcampfire