Home
Posted By: SDHNTR 99 mag well and coal issues - 04/18/19
Loading 358 Winchester and 180 gr Barnes TTSX. I have to seat the bullets at least .060 off lands in order to get the coal down to where it will feed thru the magazine. Is this typical of 99’s? Not even sure what I would do if I were trying to load a heavier 225 grain.
Posted By: pete53 Re: 99 mag well and coal issues - 04/18/19
what i do is seat out as far as a can but cartridges still work and fit in the magazine and call it good. seems these old 99`s shoot well very easy or good enough to hunt with . 99`s were not made to be tack drivers but some 99`s seem to be tack drivers,dang 99`s are just shooters !
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Loading 358 Winchester and 180 gr Barnes TTSX. I have to seat the bullets at least .060 off lands in order to get the coal down to where it will feed thru the magazine. Is this typical of 99’s? Not even sure what I would do if I were trying to load a heavier 225 grain.

That's perfect for a Barnes.

Yes, it's typical. I've never been able to set a cartridge close to the lands and have it load and feed in the magazine.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

That's perfect for a Barnes.

Yep. TSX and TTSX need a good running start before engaging the rifling. Sounds like you have a serendipitous situation.
that .060 may help in pressure also. having that jump may have allowed the chambering.
Posted By: Youper Re: 99 mag well and coal issues - 04/19/19
In my 99F from 1956 chambered for 308 Winchester I have to load 150 gr. Sierra bullets to 2.750" OAL or shorter to work in the magazine. The usual 2.800" fits the chamber and throat just fine, but not the magazine.
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: 99 mag well and coal issues - 04/19/19
Yep, I backed down to .070 off which puts me right at 2.80 and it still doesn’t load as reliably as desired. I’m uncomfortable seating much deeper. Not sure if that should bother me or not, but it does, so I am going to file to polymer tip down just a touch.
Just seat a skinch deeper, reduce powder by a grain if it bothers you.
Posted By: hanco Re: 99 mag well and coal issues - 04/20/19
I loaded mine to factory length, feeds fine. Shoots very accurately. Barnes likes a good jump.
© 24hourcampfire