Home
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Help me ID my 99? - 04/28/19
I posted for the first time here over on the "Savage 1895/99 Orginals" and JoeMartin suggested I start my own thread to get more info on my new-2-me Savage Model 99 so here goes...
Day before yesterday it was handed down to me from my step-Dad. He's no "Spring Chicken" physically or mentally, but knows how much I like shooting.
He had told me it was a Winchester lever action 30-30 before I got it, but within a moment out of the case, I knew it wasn't and found it to be a Savage 99 chambered in .300 Sav.
This is a gun I knew absolutely nothing about 48 hours ago. A few hours on the internet landed me some info and I found this forum.

Here is what I can tell you and if there is anything else needed to help me narrow down what exact model, vintage, and possible book value... but I ain't sellin it!

Serial number reads 4074XX. I found two savage data bases say that makes it a 1941(!)
http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?55730-General-Model-99-Date-of-Manufacture-Info
The Lever Boss Code is not a letter, it is a number "3"
Stamping reads Utica N.Y.
It is hand checkered on the forearm and pistol grip.
It is beautiful case hardened colors on the lever
It has a brass Mag counter.

If this gun is actually 78 years old , it is in amazing condition.
The blueing is flawless aside from one small, fine, scratch on the receiver opposite of the counter. No visible wear at all.
The action is not jeweled like some I have seen.
It does have a Redfield tang mounted dioptler peep rear sight.
The old leather sling is the similar to WWII style you would see on an M1

The bore needs cleaned before I can tell it's actual condition but to be honest, I am a little nervous to run a brush down it without knowing more.
I want to clean and lube it before firing it, but until I get a .30 boresnake, that has to wait.....the last thing I want to do is push crud from the barrel into the receiver by running a brush down the muzzle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/28/19
Very nice 99RS.

From here it looks like a pre-war M1907 sling. If gov't issue and as nice as it seems worth a few bucks too.

Go ahead and clean it with a rod. You would be prudent to use a bore guide so as not to rub the rifling unnecessarily at the muzzle. Avoid pushing crud into the action by the simple expedient of wadding up a rag behind the chamber. (Keep the bolt open.)
Posted By: S99VG Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/28/19
Yeah, as Gary said its a very nice prewar 99RS. In case you didn't know, the RS was pretty much the top shelf 99 in the 30s. The only thing you could get above it would have been a special order rifle which, considering it was the Great Depression, I doubt were being done much by Savage at the time. The 99R was one gun in the line below yours. The difference being the RS had sling swivels and the Redfield 70 for later made guns. The earlier RS had a windage adjustable Lyman tang sight. The distinctive pre-war R and RS was discontinued at the onset of WWII. Post war Rs and RSs are different. And the flutes are cool too!

Stick with this forum as its probably the best location you will find in expertise on the 99. You will get the bug.
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/28/19
Noob alert... "flutes "?
Posted By: S99VG Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/28/19
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Noob alert... "flutes "?

The notches in the comb above the wrist. You don't find them in most 99 stocks..
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/28/19
Grooves in the top of the stock above the pistol grip.

It's likely that the sling is original, also. Can't tell from the photo.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/28/19
Nice rifle. I've learned to use undersize boresnakes so for 30 I use .270/.280 size boresnake.
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Better pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Polecat Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Nice rifle!

Lee
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Looks 100% original to me. You got a good one.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Daaayum.

You don't even know what you got there...
Posted By: S99VG Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Purdy!
Posted By: steve99 Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Very nice rifle, a special one for sure. Congratulations!

I don't know if you are a hunter or not but if you are and you want to take that deer hunting for example, and need it scoped, don't drill it. There are other option to destroying the collector value. What a nice find.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Originally Posted by S99VG
Purdy!

+1
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
All you need now is a pair of knee-high lumberjack boots, jodhpurs, Woolrich coat, and a soft felt hat. Stylin'!

Thanks for the info all, as well as the kind words.

Daaayum.

You don't even know what you got there...

You got that right, 99guy.... that's why I came here!

I litereally had not heard of the Savage 99 before this weekend.
My other Savage is a 93R17 .17HMR
My other Centerfire is a Remington 721 chambered in 30-06.

Other than that I got Scatterguns, pistols, and airguns
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19

Excellent, simply excellent.

All the guys on this forum, absolutely including me, are green with envy.

Blessings,

Steve

Anybody have access to the Blue Book of Gun Values?
That is...Just for reference sake, and maybe update my rider on the home owners insurance.

Once again, a Step-Dad inheritance... I am NOT looking to sell.
I am 56 YO.
All 4 of my daughters are done with college and onto families of their own.
We just paid off my truck and the camper.

Me thinks with several years of pits... now comes the peaks. wink

Posted By: Calhoun Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Savage 99RS - introduced in 1932. Originally had a Lyman 30 1/2 peep sight, that changed in late 30's to the Redfield 70LH. It was the premier hunting model, though the engraved 99K existed for most of the same time and would have been the top of the shelf 99. The sling studs are distinctive to the prewar 99RS, very rarely do you see them on any other 99. The double "rings" at the front of the forearm are also unique to the prewar 99R / 99RS.

The "prewar 99RS" like yours was last catalogued in 1946/1947, but VERY few show up after 1941. Just a couple have been seen, iirc. Another style of 99RS was introduced around 1950, but the stock configuration was totally different.

THAT is a beautiful gun, and extremely collectible. Take good care of it, and thank your step-dad profusely.
So add a pair of knee pads to the cost?
That makes it what... $10.

OH AMMO $ ... DAYUMM!
Today I picked up a box of 20 for $38 locally. I have seen it mail order for $32... but this was here now.

The bore cleaned up nicely. Here is a shoddy pic but the best I can do.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: sqweeler Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/29/19
Other than the longer barrel and shorter forarms the "R's" were similar to the T's. [Linked Image]
Yeah, ammo for 300 Savage and 250-3000 isn't the cheapest. Hornady made a run you can sometimes find for under $30/box, but it's really best to handload it. Easy to do if you reload.
A writeup on the 99RS when it was first sold. Only major difference with yours will be the peep sight change.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/30/19
Fantastic gun.
Posted By: Buckethead Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/30/19
That's a peach. I like seeing stories like this. Its kind of like tilling the garden in the spring and turning up a gold nugget.
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Help me ID my 99? - 05/02/19
Talking to another "Gun Guy" at work today. I was explaing my recent aquisition and turns out he has his Dad's 99 in 300 Savage and did not know much about it.
I was talking about ammo prices and availability...and he said "let me see how much I have to part with" (!)
Turns out he reloads and has a die set .... All I need to do is save my brass!
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Help me ID my 99? - 05/04/19
Tonight I finally loaded her up and shot 5 rounds...
DANG! grin
.This is one sweet shooter compared to my Remington 721 in 30-06!!!
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Help me ID my 99? - 05/04/19
Talking to another "Gun Guy" at work today. I was explaing my recent aquisition and turns out he has his Dad's 99 in 300 Savage and did not know much about it.
I was talking about ammo prices and availability...and he said "let me see how much I have to part with" (!)
Turns out he reloads and has a die set .... All I need to do is save my brass!

not saying your buddy doesn't know what he is doing but it would be a cold day in hell i would shoot someone else's hand loads in that gun. lost a 32-20 police positive that way.
reload your own and the pride of shooting little bitty groups triples.
jm2centsworth
Posted By: texken Re: Help me ID my 99? - 05/04/19
out standing, welcome
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Help me ID my 99? - 05/05/19
Originally Posted by deerstalker

not saying your buddy doesn't know what he is doing but it would be a cold day in hell i would shoot someone else's hand loads in that gun. lost a 32-20 police positive that way.
reload your own and the pride of shooting little bitty groups triples.
jm2centsworth

Thank you for that. It was my concern as well.
*reloading*
That is a rabbit hole I have not fell down into yet. blush

Even when I was shooting Trap and Skeet leagues. It was always on my mind.... but 12g shells were cheap then so hand loading was looked at more of a pass time instead of economics..
So for now, I'll suck it up and shoot factory loads.

Much appreciated.
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Help me ID my 99? - 06/01/19
Just as a follow up....
After buying 2 boxes of ammo, I have ran 35 rounds through it to get familiar and got the sights zeroed in.
I saved the last 5 for a day just like today. I rolled a Wood Chuck [bleep] over apple cart at about 75 yards.
MAN... I LOVE THIS GUN!
Posted By: Polecat Re: Help me ID my 99? - 06/01/19
Just as a follow up....
After buying 2 boxes of ammo, I have ran 35 rounds through it to get familiar and got the sights zeroed in.
I saved the last 5 for a day just like today. I rolled a Wood Chuck [bleep] over apple cart at about 75 yards.
MAN... I LOVE THIS GUN!

That's great!
Be careful though, 99s have away of getting under your skin and then you'll be overrun with them. Sitting in your chair at midnight, caressing your latest acquisition while looking at online auctions for another 99. The guys here won't help either, they're just a bunch of enablers grin

Lee
Posted By: norm99 Re: Help me ID my 99? - 06/05/19
Just as a follow up....

MAN... I LOVE THIS GUN!
that is the point ,can't put a value on that.

gun in that condition is well over a grand ,,, keep it safe.

norm
Posted By: BillKilgore Re: Help me ID my 99? - 06/08/19
Congrats on the inheritance. That is a gorgeous rifle.
Posted By: gunrunner49 Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/19/20
If you don't reload,don't worry.Hornady,Remington,Winchester,and Federal all have good factory loads available.Prices run between $25 and $35 per box.I have shot all brands and have had good results.My EG 300 likes the Hornady best,but each rifle will be different.Try all until you find which one your rifle shoots best.Enjoy the great gift.
Posted By: tal35 Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/19/20
Wow! Looks nice! You are only about 30 miles from me!
Posted By: oldotter Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/19/20
Beautiful gun. Pre war Rs definitely on of my favorite 99s.

One suggestion. At the rear of the top tang, the pictures look like it light be a tight fit. In cases like that, I remove the butt stock and wrap an appropriately sized deep socket with 100 grit sand paper and give .005-.010" of clearance. Helps avoid thems dreaded tang cracks. Just my 2 cents worth.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/19/20
NICE!!!!! Now you have got COSAV 99 virus.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Help me ID my 99? - 04/20/20
That is a quite valuable rifle in a sought after configuration. There simply aren’t many in that condition. Please take care of it.
© 24hourcampfire