Home
Posted By: wyo1895 OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/01/19
It seems to be a slow day on the forum so here is an OT.
The wheels have been on it for a week or two but this is the first day it was warm enough and dry enough to take it for a ride. It's buddy the 55 Chevy first series pickup is in the background. It also got a new 12V alternator and 2 six volt batteries wired in series under the seat.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sqweeler Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/01/19
Put 4 brand new rotor's & pad's and an oil change with my BIL last Saturday on my ride.Two front strut's this coming week.It's nice taking a break with the gun chit. [Linked Image]
Posted By: johno Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
Hot rods nice but the ute is a ripper, sorry pick up

Johno
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
Here's old pics of the only two Ford cars I've ever owned. The first one is for Johno, and the second for David.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
At the time I had the 39 Ford, I had a Columbia 2 speed rear out of a 48 Lincoln and wanted to put it in the coupe with a Paxton Super Charger on the Flat Head. But, I ran across a 37 Cord 810 and sold the Ford to buy it.
Nice roadster wyo!

My first car back in the late '70s was ALMOST a '40 Willy's Coupe ex drag car from the Gasser days.
It had fiberglass full tilt front end, doors, and trunk lid. Engine was a built 392 Hemi.
Mom was against it and Dad said it was a money pit.... Later on it sold for $600.
So I bought a '65 Mustang coupe for the same amount of money.
Beat the snot outta that Lil Pony Car.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
It's hard to keep them all. I've always liked the 39's. I'm hoping to buy a 33 or 34 Coupe some day so I can have a cool weather driver. I won't drive any of them once there is snow on the roads but some days it too cool and windy for the roadster. Of course I can and do drive the ute then. But then I've had the ute for 24 years so it's old news.
Posted By: S99VG Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
If I was to pick from Ford's pickups, the 35 has always been at the top of my list followed by the 36 as a close second and then the 40/41. I harbor a dream to build up an "old school" flat head V-8 one day. I once had a 37 Ford PU and a 38 Chevy, but those stories really aren't worth telling so I won't.
i drive this every day in the spring, summer, fall somewhere on the place. it can sit for an entire winter and start almost on first crank. it's one of those "i'm gonna restore it" projects. has been for 25 years.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
No one has asked what a Ute is?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
Originally Posted by wyo1895

You need to watch more Aussie shows on Netflix wink
Posted By: Rick99 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
I know. I had to ask a west coast Aussy, many years ago, who had sent me a .22 ammo box for my collection. Some how we got onto vehicles and he kept bring up ute's. Sent me some photos of what was used down under.
Not interested IN THE LEAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Texczech Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
Originally Posted by wyo1895

I give up. What is a Ute?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
Utility Vehicle. Very widely used term, even includes SUVs from what I've observed.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/02/19
Originally more of a small car with a truck bed vs a back seat area.
Rick, thats how they started out farmers chopping the back off of a sedan and grafting a rear wall and a flat bed. I think we went into production of the first ute before anyone else, that being the rear tub formed as part of the cab of the vehicle

In 1992 I went to Arizona and bought 3 mustangs and brought them back down here, this was purely a money making thing and it sort of worked. I stumbled into a huge wrecking yard when driving back to LA, thought i'd died and gone to heaven the pick ups and old Studies that were there.

Its nice to see these old cars

Joe that looks like what we sold here as a Mark 2 Zephyr

Johno
Originally Posted by Rick99
Originally more of a small car with a truck bed vs a back seat area.

Yep, I always wanted a 56 Chrysler Ute, with a 392 Hemi. If you think shipping down under is high, I sold a chainsaw to a fellow in Australia, and it cost $474 dollars to ship. Try having a 56 Chrysler shipped state side. I actually found one years ago, but when I told the guy I wanted to bring it here, he said sorry, he wouldn't let it leave the country.
Joe, if you can find the vehicle you are after make sure its running ok and get as a roll on roll off much cheaper than a container, always happy to help I can
just let me know

John
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/03/19
I'm pretty much done with my cars. If I ever get my Cuda back together I'll be a happy camper.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/03/19
The Ford Ranchero and Chevy El Camino were kind of following the Ute concept. There were quite a few cars with the bodies cut off behind the front doors (and some behind the windshield) with homemade wooden flatbeds running around central Florida when I was growing up. It must have been cheaper to buy a sedan and cut off the back than to buy a pickup or the family car got replaced by a newer model and got turned into a Ute.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/03/19
I have the "Ute" my great-grandfather built out of a fresh off the car lot brand new 1930 Model A Ford. My gramps, and then my Dad, and then me always threatened to bring it back to life but none of us ever got a "round tuit". It's too far gone now.

The old man went up to the rural Ford dealership one morning where my Gramps was working as a mechanic, with the expressed intent of buying a pickup truck (his first ever motor vehicle). Upon being informed there wasn't any available at the time, but one could be brought in within a day or two, he stubbornly pointed at a new coupe and said "I'll take that one instead. I ain't waiting around, and I got cash money." They had to give him driving lessons right there in the lot, in front of a small crowd of passer's by and the rummies who bailed out of the tap room across the road. My Gramps said he stood in the back disbelieving what his Old Man was up to, but knew better than to interfere. There was no talking sense to that old guy. Great Gramps lurched that car down the road to his farm and proceeded to remove most of the body off that new car, leaving just the cowl and engine cover in place, no windshield, no fenders, no nothing. A new wooden truck bed was fashioned, and an old wooden wagon seat installed to sit on. Voilà, a truck. It served him for 20 years of hauling fruit, veggies, and chickens over the Dornsife Mountain to market every Saturday. Jeezuz, he was a tough bastid.
Posted By: JohnL Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/03/19
Wyo1895,
Love the 55 pickup!!! Right now my ute is a Ford Raptor. In town, there are other choices....... like my 1968 Datsun 2000 Roadster in the photo. Have a 1958 Triumph TR3 in pieces in the garage that I need to start working on "in my free time."

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sqweeler Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/03/19
We like a tiny bit more horsepower around here,like 750. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/03/19
Originally Posted by JohnL
Wyo1895,
Love the 55 pickup!!! Right now my ute is a Ford Raptor. In town, there are other choices....... like my 1968 Datsun 2000 Roadster in the photo. Have a 1958 Triumph TR3 in pieces in the garage that I need to start working on "in my free time."

[Linked Image]

There's something you don't see much of anymore. I still remember the arguments between the Datsun guys and the MGB guys as to which one was better. That TR-3 really needs to breathe again!
Posted By: Sbrown Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/03/19
[Linked Image]

Nice Hot Rod David!

Still playing with the 66 Fairlane.

Steve
Posted By: 99guy Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/04/19
Anything that you can't put a dead bloody deer on or in, that you can't slap into 4 wheel drive and spin your way out of a mud hole, or can't hook a chain to and pull a tree stump out with, or can't pull a fishin' boat with or carry your hunting dogs with...is useless to me.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/04/19
Well, I hauled a few deer in the trunks of MGB's. Anymore, I try like hell to avoid all those other scenarios, so a truck means little to me. The couple of days a year when I would find one mighty handy don't justify the extra cost in gas, maintenance, and insurance to keep one around the rest of the year, and having driven pickups as daily drivers in the past taught me I don't want to in the future.
Posted By: 99guy Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/04/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Well, I hauled a few deer in the trunks of MGB's. Anymore, I try like hell to avoid all those other scenarios, so a truck means little to me. The couple of days a year when I would find one mighty handy don't justify the extra cost in gas, maintenance, and insurance to keep one around the rest of the year, and having driven pickups as daily drivers in the past taught me I don't want to in the future.

Can we disagree on this point and still be friends?

grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/04/19
I hauled a deer in a fiberglass dune buggy once. Since it was VW powered, I actually pushed it further than I drove it.
[quote=99guy

Can we disagree on this point and still be friends?

grin[/quote]

Oh, hell yes!!!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/04/19
I wish I had a pic of my 63 International Harvester one ton pick up. No dually's back then, 7.50X16 split rim mud and snow tires. The odd thing about the bed was it had a 9' step side. I could put a full cord of firewood in it and it hardly went down to the helper springs. Big inline 6 with granny four speed, 4X4. It had been a power line inspection truck in the mountains of Western MD. It would fit Randy's specs. I just did a search and the model was a C1300 and the bed was actually 9 1/2'.
Too bad Savage never got into automobile manufacturing. Aside from Arthur's tire venture, did he pop out any other automotive related gizmos, ideas, patents? I could have pictured him building a line of motorcycles in a plant next door to the gun factory too.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/04/19
Couldn't live out here without my 4 wheel drive Dodges but variety is the spice of life therefore the hot rod and the Ute. The 2005 2500 is so beat up we call it the battered Ram.
Posted By: bgl0b6 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/04/19
I bought a 1948 Pontiac convertible in the late 80's,it was a full size model car kit,it was 86,311 pieces,lol.It had been a late 50's hot rod,red and white roll and pleated interior,lightly padded top,389 w/ 3 deuces. The motor had been blown up years ago and had been through 3 owners since.I spent 2 years putting it back together,the directions had long been lost lol.I sold the 3 deuce manifold and bought a straight 8 to go back in it.I got it going,drove it around town with a 6 gallon Johnson boat tank,was fun.They called it ''The old tennis shoe''.Quit my job and went to work as an electrician's apprentice,sold the car as income level went way down for about 4 years.A guy from British Columbia bought it,2200 miles from me.I don't know what ever happened to it after that.It was a cool car
Posted By: Rick99 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/04/19
My story about cars and trucks is a little different. The first time my dad saw me showing an interest in cars he said "I'm a carpenter not a mechanic so don't ever drive home anything that needs fixing or drips oil !!!" He bought a new one every 5 years. I kind of followed in his foot steps. More time for firearms. grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/05/19
Rick, your dad sounds like mine. He said I'm a house painter, I don't expect other people to paint their houses and not going to work on cars. However, it didn't rub off on me. I love to tinker with them and once upon a time I restored old Harleys from the ground up.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/14/19
[Linked Image]
Been having a blast with my Chevy powered 1942 Willys. Was originally a drag racer, but now a street rig.
I have the "Ute" my great-grandfather built out of a fresh off the car lot brand new 1930 Model A Ford. My gramps, and then my Dad, and then me always threatened to bring it back to life but none of us ever got a "round tuit". It's too far gone now.

The old man went up to the rural Ford dealership one morning where my Gramps was working as a mechanic, with the expressed intent of buying a pickup truck (his first ever motor vehicle). Upon being informed there wasn't any available at the time, but one could be brought in within a day or two, he stubbornly pointed at a new coupe and said "I'll take that one instead. I ain't waiting around, and I got cash money." They had to give him driving lessons right there in the lot, in front of a small crowd of passer's by and the rummies who bailed out of the tap room across the road. My Gramps said he stood in the back disbelieving what his Old Man was up to, but knew better than to interfere. There was no talking sense to that old guy. Great Gramps lurched that car down the road to his farm and proceeded to remove most of the body off that new car, leaving just the cowl and engine cover in place, no windshield, no fenders, no nothing. A new wooden truck bed was fashioned, and an old wooden wagon seat installed to sit on. Voilà, a truck. It served him for 20 years of hauling fruit, veggies, and chickens over the Dornsife Mountain to market every Saturday. Jeezuz, he was a tough bastid.

That's freakin' cool and hilarious at the same time. Laughing.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/15/19
That Willys is cool!
Glad ya kept it a flat head !!
Posted By: Tomygun1 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/15/19
My mistake, I thought I was on a serious Savage rifle site, but it seems I accidentally logged onto my exotic car forum. Still, I enjoy the pics.
Posted By: Captain Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/15/19

My great-grandfather was justice of the peace and school teacher at the one room schoolhouse in Dornsife. One day he went out and bought himself a Model T and after some instruction drove it back to the farm. According to my uncle he was going to park it in the barn and was heard to yell, "Woah, Woah!" like he was commanding his mules as he crashed through the back of the barn. One of the boys drove from then on with my grandfather being the usual driver.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/15/19
Originally Posted by Tomygun1
My mistake, I thought I was on a serious Savage rifle site, but it seems I accidentally logged onto my exotic car forum. Still, I enjoy the pics.

Hey Tom too bad this isn't an old Dodge truck thread, you and I would be in like Flynn.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/15/19
I still remember the arguments between the Datsun guys and the MGB guys as to which one was better.

Well had a MGB and they were neat, but bonnet was up more than down! Is the Datsun reliable?
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/15/19
We're taking the hot rod on a poker run today. May post some pics later.
Tom, it's not unusual for collectors to be interested in more than one thing. We share our other interests here sometimes.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/16/19
Boy what a bust! The flyer said "cars, trucks and motorcycles". Our hot rod, a nice 1960 Impala 2 door hardtop and about 40 modern motorcycles showed up. I didn't get a chance to photograph the Impala and had no interest in modern motor sickles.
Posted By: Loggah Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/16/19
David, All the bikes are over here for Laconia this week!!! usually about 100,000 show up. Aint hardly safe to be on the road. don
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: OT hot rod's new wheels - 06/16/19
The poker run was going from bar to bar. We stayed well behind the crowd so any of them went down we wouldn't bend the hot rod. I'm being mean. My wife is an RN and we would have stopped and rendered first aid. Some of them were really loaded when we got to the last bar. It was smokey and crowded and loud. Been there, done that and have a lot of T-shirts. We had one drink and went home.
© 24hourcampfire