Home
I opened the bidding but didn't pursue it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/821234972
Neat.. thanks for bringing that one up. Close to the serial range of another I have in my notes, same style obviously.
I never saw one like that before. Is this another case of Savage saying I got this ole box of left over parts so lets make some guns out of it?
"Just another break in the wall."
Pretty much.

Leftover octagon barrels in 308 from the 75th Anniversary 1895 edition rifles. They didn't sell as many as they expected (hmm, wonder why?) so a few years later they tossed the barrels on 99C's.
That's a new one on me.
That might be the most hideous factory 99 I have ever laid eyes on.

Can't even blame Bubba for that one.

The people at Savage that decided that should be sent out as a representation of their company's work should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. They should have been hanged because a firing squad would have been to good for them.

Look at the fit of the butt plate.

That is an $800 POS

Originally Posted by 99guy
That might be the most hideous factory 99 I have ever laid eyes on.

Can't even blame Bubba for that one.

The people at Savage that decided that should be sent out as a representation of their company's work should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. They should have been hanged because a firing squad would have been to good for them.

Look at the fit of the butt plate.

That is an $800 POS

+1
Could never get past the butt plate.
I’d be willing to bet that’s not the original buttplate.
That's obviously not the factory butt plate.

Savage was clawing away to stay out of bankruptcy.

They did the best they could with what they had.

Get over it!!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Get over it!!

Sadly, looking at that gun, it would not surprise me if that was the original butt plate. That gun has hardly been used, practically mint. Why wouldn't it or couldn't it be the original butt plate? What explanation could there be for a like new gun having a non original butt plate? Because it doesn't fit worth a damn? They screwed that barrel on that frame at the factory, which makes me believe they very well could have screwed that butt plate on as well because they just didn't give a damn.

Can't look at anything 99 Savage made before WW ll or even 1960 and look at that gun and "get over it"

Sorry...
There were some nice 99C Octagon .308s; this one sold on GB in 2015. From the ones I've seen, all were made in 1977 in a SN range of roughly C370k-C400k. ... so they held on to those surplus barrels for 7 years.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
That's obviously not the factory butt plate.

Savage was clawing away to stay out of bankruptcy.

They did the best they could with what they had.

Get over it!!

I think that was pretty much it.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I’d be willing to bet that’s not the original buttplate.

I lay odds you are right.
I noticed that rifle and thought it was an anniversary model with replaced wood. Those were some savage times at Savage mfg.

I only handled one of the anniversary octagon barreled 308's once, and I thought It made the post-war R feel like 4-weight fly rod! Too muzzle heavy for my tastes, but I still like the look of a tapered octagon barrel.
Muzzle heavy is ok, especially if your butt is dragging and you're out of breath, and you are standing on your hind legs taking a bead on a buck that is on the verge of running off. That, or attempting to put ten shots in the 10-ring in the offhand position. There's a place for everything in this man's world.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Muzzle heavy is ok, especially if your butt is dragging and you're out of breath, and you are standing on your hind legs taking a bead on a buck that is on the verge of running off. That, or attempting to put ten shots in the 10-ring in the offhand position. There's a place for everything in this man's world.

M1 Garand being the perfect example...
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

M1 Garand being the perfect example...

Oh great, now don't get me going OT on that subject!
I've heard that they are real accurate. My otherwise pristine 99A 375 has a 1930's SVG buttplate. Never under estimate Bubba. Maybe he broke the original plastic BP and had to put another one on the rifle.
© 24hourcampfire