Home
Ran across this while researching Montreal Home Guard and had not heard it before. Thought some might find it informative.

https://www.guns.com/news/2015/11/11/savage-99-rifle-lever-gun

"In 1919, during an exchange for a good deal on a lot of model 99’s for Native American Chief Lame Bear and his tribe, the Southern Cheyenne, Savage added the Chief’s image to the company’s logo. "
thanks for posting this Savage article ,its always interesting reading history of firearms for me.Pete53
I wonder which of the rifles floating around today were the batch they sold to the redskins.
The ones with all the silver thumb tacks on the wooden stocks.
I've been told it may not be true.

Dang.
Don’t write it off as untrue yet.

Arthur Savage obviously has nothing to do with it, which many stories get wrong. By 1919 Arthur was long gone.
I will wager it wasn't model R s they sold.

Or there would have been another uprising!
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I will wager it wasn't model R s they sold.

Or there would have been another uprising!

They would double as canoe paddles.
"In 1919, during an exchange for a good deal on a lot of model 99’s for Native American Chief Lame Bear and his tribe, the Southern Cheyenne, Savage added the Chief’s image to the company’s logo. "

What "Logo" was it? There was an Indian in full feathers on the 1904/1905 envelope. The Screaming Indian trade mark was on the Savage letter head by 1909 and used on/in all the catalogs till 1928. I don't see how that fits.
The friends don't let friends buy R s logo.
© 24hourcampfire