Home
Posted By: JoeMartin New to me K - 08/17/19
Before I get into the gun, I'd like to give a big shout out for John. He bought it 5-6 years ago and posted pics. I expressed interest and he has held it for me for years.Many others were turned off by the side mount scope. But, I liked it. I think it is a Noske. Which would make it a state of the art piece of glass for it's time. It has a rock solid mount. The glass is wavy, but I was looking at a well head at about 200 yards and I could see it well enough to take the shot. Looks like it might be 2-3 power. It has a few little dings, and it has my initials carved in the butt in a manner they look like a cattle brand. The color case is still pretty bright on the lever. It's in 300. This fall my first rifle going in the woods will be my 1926 F in 303 because that is the last round I need for my Savage Slam. Then this one is going next. These are some pics John sent me. I'll get some more tomorrow. John, thank you very, very much.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sqweeler Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
eek
Posted By: saddlering Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
Congrads Joe! I killed a spike with the "K" I had, Kinda Cool about the Brand!
Posted By: steve99 Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
That was nice of John to hold that for you Joe. I like it. You bringing that to Noxon?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
Very nice!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
Yeah! I'd like to shoot that one!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
Yes.
Originally Posted by steve99
That was nice of John to hold that for you Joe. I like it. You bringing that to Noxon?
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
Any time you find a gun that satisfies you it's a win win. Who knows? It very well may lead to another.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
Whew, glad it made it here ok. Going to the range today tried calling to see if you'd want to shoot the new girl, maybe you'll see this and reply!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
Well, like Rory said, summer vacation is over. So, today I've got to get all the stuff done around the house. So, I can start Fall vacation tomorrow at Barley& Hops. See you there.
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: New to me K - 08/17/19
Nice Joe.

Joe
Posted By: RAS Re: New to me K - 08/18/19
I would hunt and shoot the heck out of that thing. The period correct optic system is very cool. All Ks are beautiful.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New to me K - 08/18/19
Took a couple pics of the scope and mount. When I had the rifle over my cousins house, I tried the thumb screw, to take the mount off. I guess I was afraid of dropping it because it felt too tight to get off with my fingers. Sitting on the sofa, it unscrewed easy, and slid right off. This mount is built like a Sherman tank. There is a set screw on the bottom of the scope mount that stops it when sliding it on, and there is a dimple that the thumb screw indexes on. I'm sure this will return to Zero when taking it on and off. We will find out at Noxen.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Looking at the picture above, where I'm holding the scope in my hand, by my little finger, I could see some writing. I took another pic, then blew it up. It's definitely a +7. This thing is Not 7 power. I looked at some boards by my wood pile, and they look smaller through the scope than they do with the naked eye. I tried to get a pic through the scope but couldn't get it lined up . It looks much better through the scope than the pic shows. But, the glass is dirty on the inside.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: S99VG Re: New to me K - 08/18/19
The scope/mount and brand are very cool!
Thanks, I think it's a Novske, but I can't find any marks. When John found it several years ago, there was quite a bit about Noske on line. Now all you can find is Noveske stuff for AR's.
Posted By: JRK Re: New to me K - 08/19/19
Gee, I forgot all about those initials being yours...you were meant to have it. I just got back from backpacking, was worrying over it arriving. Glad you got it and like it. I did some research and was convinced that the scope was a Novske, but... Were you able to take it down?
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New to me K - 08/19/19
No, the spring on the latch beat me. The arthritis in my thumbs is bad enough I couldn't pull down on the latch, and out on the forearm at the same time. I did take the scope off, and the mount looks like it will return to zero time after time. My initials are actually JMB, but, close enough. I'm going to letter this one, wish JTC was still doing the letters. I've got something heading for your PO Box. Not sure if I'll get it off this week, likely will be next week. Thanks again.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New to me K - 08/19/19
Oh, I think you said the initials were the original owners? Did you know that for a fact? Just the way they are joined they look like a cattle brand.
Posted By: JRK Re: New to me K - 08/20/19
I don't know. The shop had no info, unfortunately. I can see that it looks like a brand, just sorta figured itd be the owners initials. I got the forearm off fine, couldn't get the barrel off, didn't want to try any harder. Rifle would really be something (as far as collecting) minus the mount and initials, eh? The glass is interesting, I wasnt sure whether to say wavy or dirty or...

Now back to finding that reasonable 358 brush gun...
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New to me K - 08/26/19
Took the K to Noxen and had a chance to shoot it. The scope is very dirty but you can see through it. Fired 3 shots at 50 yards and it shot a nice group an inch or so low. Moved over to 100 and it printed another nice group in the minute of deer range. The scope has a thumb screw and slides off a rail. I had it off several times before I shot it so it looks like it returns to zero after removal. I think Gary said since it’s not charged, we can take the rear lens out and clean it. If we can do that it might improve the sight picture 10 fold.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New to me K - 08/26/19
Yeah, Joe, they weren't filling them with nitrogen back then, and if they were, after 85 years it'll have leaked out anyway. Bring it (the scope, not the rifle) to the restaurant next weekend and we'll dismantle it and clean it on the bar top. (Hey bartender, can we borrow a bar towel over here and have a shot of vodka to clean these lenses with?)
Posted By: saddlering Re: New to me K - 08/26/19
Id love to be there to See that! Gary!
© 24hourcampfire