Home
Anybody got one like it?

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...n-Rifle/lotInformation/44819062#topoflot

[Linked Image]
We've bored Rory into talking about the most obscure post mil imaginable. laugh This will be sure to be a hit!

I don't have one, nor had I seen one, but now I must find one.

1st DL from 1974 I've seen. Checking is like those 3 1974 F-like rifles that had the "- Series A -" stamp and no barrel boss.
"
Not I. Savage must have had a tough time peddling the 99 during the Disco era.
Not an expert, but only one like it I’ve seen. The checkering matches the 1974 99C checkering.

And no barrel boss.

The 99F’s didn’t have barrel bosses the last couple of years, but I have no data on late DL’s.
I have seen a late DL 243 with no barrel boss. Don't remember other details like what the checkering looked like.
Some years back I posted photos of a 300 savage exactly the same as the one posted including 99A stamp and no barrel boss. Most said it was a put together rifle but I tracked it back and it was sold new in N.Z.

I sold in a weak moment and still regret it

Johno
Things go from "What the heck are we looking at" to "Hey, there's a pattern here of multiple guns!" on this forum, johno. Spiegels, 99H's, 99R's, early postmil 99E's and their variations...

Sometimes it just takes time to figure things out.

At this time, it might be best to start looking at all 99C's, 99DL's and 99F's in the Axxxxxx serial number range to see if they have bosses or not. From my data, it's looking like the cutoff for boss to no boss is there. Not sure if it's early A numbers, or mid A numbers.

johno, don't suppose you have a picture saved of that 300 from a couple years ago?
Rory I don't but I had problems with it feeding the round at an angle I posted pics here so they might be sitting in the post still. I will go back through my stuff but i'm doubtful as I had a manic moment with a heavy object and the old computer

Just re read my post and it sounds like I was moaning about the comments, not so. I think what it was is those who posted had just not encountered this variation, I think I also expressed at time that maybe some weird ones left the factory for Australia & N.Z. at that time that catalogued.

I don't own a single 99 any longer but still enjoy the discussion very much I meant no offense to anyone

Johno
Originally Posted by Calhoun

At this time, it might be best to start looking at all 99C's, 99DL's and 99F's in the Axxxxxx serial number range to see if they have bosses or not. From my data, it's looking like the cutoff for boss to no boss is there. Not sure if it's early A numbers, or mid A numbers.

Here's what I have pics/note on for boss/no boss:
99F 1184217 358 Boss
99C A231XXX 243 Boss
99F A473810 308 Boss
99F A713210 243 No Boss
99DL A765961 308 No Boss
99DL A915234 308 No Boss
99C C511278 22-250 No Boss

Originally Posted by johno
Just re read my post and it sounds like I was moaning about the comments, not so. I think what it was is those who posted had just not encountered this variation, I think I also expressed at time that maybe some weird ones left the factory for Australia & N.Z. at that time that catalogued.

I don't own a single 99 any longer but still enjoy the discussion very much I meant no offense to anyone

Johno

Didn’t come across that way to me at all. But there have been times we’ve been dismissive of non-catalogued rifles, especially postmils.
Calhoun - I think you are right on the money when it comes to being dismissive with post-mils. it seems like most of the pre-mil population has disappeared into private collections only to be traded back and forth amongst those folks and maybe now's the time to be a little less high falootin' about later 99s. There's got to be some keepers in there amongst the saddle and brush guns, and deluxe models that consume most of the attention. I would welcome some more discussion on post-mils. It's like a buddy of mine says about Winchester 94s and Jeff Cooper said about 1903A3s, everybody should have at least one behind the kitchen door. It couldn't hurt.
You would have to be at least 80 to have purchased a pre-mil 99 new. But probably a lot of original post-mil 99's setting in gun cases that belong to one-gun hunters that will slowly surface with time.

Don't forget that group called Savage Services that was known to create some none cataloged rifles.
Originally Posted by Rick99
Don't forget that group called Savage Services that was known to create some none cataloged rifles.

That's what keeps things interesting. grin

Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Here's what I have pics/note on for boss/no boss:
99F A473810 308 Boss
99F A713210 243 No Boss

My definites are A615xxx without bosses. Got a couple there, and nothing after with a boss.
My worry is that I don't have a lot from A270xxx to A615xxx to verify that bosses kept going that far. I have A473810 in my data, but it's all alone.
99DL, 243, serial # 985201, has the boss, there'll be pictures of it in the classifieds shortly.
Calhoun, David/s A9852xx DL .243 win with Boss puts a blip in the Boss/no Bossd data trend ... more data, better insight.
More is better... but exceptions exist. Just like the existence of a correct a 99T from late ‘44/‘45 doesn’t mean 99T’s weren’t discontinued earlier.
Maybe my gun was one of those where the barrel turned up later.
I have 8 99C/99F/99DL's lower than yours with no boss, so I would guess it was using up a leftover barrel. But we're only talking 15 months here from A612xxx to A985xxx, not 4 years.
I think that with Savage if you have not found an outlier (one that is not the norm) then you have not collected enough data. grin
with Savage never say never!
Calhoun, David/s A9852xx DL .243 win with Boss puts a blip in the Boss/no Bossd data trend ... more data, better insight.

I thought I remembered our resident DL collector had some DL's with 24" barrels and the rear sight boss. Maybe the long-boss barrels will all group together in the middle of a group of non-bossed. It might be easy to overlook barrel length when you're just looking for the sight boss.
Originally Posted by JeffG

I thought I remembered our resident DL collector had some DL's with 24" barrels and the rear sight boss. Maybe the long-boss barrels will all group together in the middle of a group of non-bossed. It might be easy to overlook barrel length when you're just looking for the sight boss.

The 99DLs with cut checkering were cataloged with 24" barrels and had the rear sight boss, so that would have been 1960 thru 1963, right?

When Savage went to pressed checkering, they standardized the barrels for the 99C, 99DL, and 99F at 22" with the rear sight boss, or at least I think that is how they were cataloged.

EDIT: Except the 99s in 284, where all of the production guns had straight tapered barrels without the barrel boss. IIRC, at least some of the pre-production prototypes had barrel bosses.

Very close.

24" barrels on 99DL's were 1960 to late 1962, might extend into early 1963.
All the 24" barrels for 99DL's in this time frame had rear sight bosses, as did all 99C's and 99F's with 22" barrels. 99E's were only ones that didn't have rear sight bosses from 1960 to 1963.

The lack of a rear sight boss on 99C/99F/99DL's was end of 1970.

Except: No 284's ever had rear sight bosses, as you say.
I doe-know how you fellers keep all this straight. Every day I forget more than I ever knew.
So my question is this:

Is there any such thing as a cut checkered DL with a 22" barrel?

Notwithstanding the possibility that there may be a 284 (or 2) out there as such somewhere.

Roy?

Anybody?
Originally Posted by 99guy
So my question is this:

Is there any such thing as a cut checkered DL with a 22" barrel?

Notwithstanding the possibility that there may be a 284 (or 2) out there as such somewhere.

Roy?

Anybody?

Oh yes. Have some.
Murray's book says 22" started in 1963 and pressed checkering in 1965, so there should be hand checkered 22" DLs out there (if Murray's is right).
22" featherweight DL with the raised monte carlo comb. Mmmm hmmm. Send me some of that love sweetheart.
Murray's book says 22" started in 1963 and pressed checkering in 1965, so there should be hand checkered 22" DLs out there (if Murray's is right).

Actually pressed checkering started in 1964 with the double diamond pattern and then switched to that awful pattern in 65.

I have to admit and I have said this before, the post mil cut checkered DL's and F's have been growing on me recently.

Also it gives us something new to talk about. I have been a member here for over 10 years now and we have beat everything pre-mil to death. It seems there is still a lot to learn and talk about as it regards these early post mil rifles.

We may even have to start a new collecting category. "Post mil, pre 64"

Did I really just say "pre 64" in the Savage Forum?

blush
I may be misunderstanding what you fellas are discussing about barrel lengths, checkering and DL’s, but I believe my 1966 DL in 308 has a 24” barrel. At least it was sold to me as being such. I’ll have to measure. Definitely has that pressed checkering nobody likes. Lol. What is a “sight boss”? And how does one determine if the barrel is lightweight/featherweight or standard? Thanks.
It's the raised area where the rear sight mounts on the lightweight barrels. There's a pic on p. 86 of my book.
I should buy one of these books.
David (Wyo1895) will sell you one, signed and numbered.

What's that old saying about "... not able to tell the players without a program". It is even more so when it comes to Savage lever action rifles!
How much?
"A Collector's Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle and its Predecessors the Models 1895 and 1899." First printing is $55, second printing $60. This amount includes shipping by media mail. I inscribe it to the recipient and sign it. The second printing has a few updates and some spelling corrections. I only have two first printings left. You can get it cheaper on Amazon but it won't be signed, etc.
At the bottom of his posting:

"For a copy of my book on Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $65 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign, number and inscribe the book for you.
www.davidroyalsavage99.com "
I've lowered the prices slightly. See the post before Rick's.
© 24hourcampfire