Home
All: No one else has here has spoken up with hosting it in 2020, so I will host it here in Escanaba, MI. The next part now is to decide upon a date. I am thinking late spring, through summer. So let’s do this. If you generally have a desire to attend, please provide a date range between May-Aug in 2020 that would work best for you. I will give it a few weeks on this thread, and then nail down a date after that. Further details on all the other stuff about the event will come after. All we are going to do now is solicit inputs on the most optimal date.

Cheers,

RAS
Anything except late August is fine with me.

Good job!
Congrats, Jeff!
Most of August is bad for me. With an annual reunion scheduled the second full weekend and getting 2 kids off to their respective colleges, August is pretty shot. Late July would probably be ok, though.
I would like to attend. Don't know if I'd be up to the drive but I've never seen the UP. Might fly. The first two weeks in July won't work for me but it's unlikely I'll make it so don't hold off those dates if most of the guys want it then.
Do you really get 100" of rain/month ave through the summer? That is about what we get per year.

I would prefer June - mid Aug.
Wow, only a three hour tour, I actually might make one!
You could bring your Savage memorabilia collection. laugh
mid to late Aug. be bad for me, but open most any other time!
Originally Posted by Rick99
You could bring your Savage memorabilia collection. laugh

Sure as hell can't bring the 1915 380's. Haha.

Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Actually I think there is a form I can fill out for gun shows that would let me bring some of the 1895's and such, but no pistols.

Gotta bring everything back with me to, I'd love to sell the EG in 243 while I was in the U.S. but I'd get the arse torn out of me at customs on the way home.
I have lots of flexibility. Not sure when the best Salmon fishing is, but it would be nice to spend an extra day and catch a Lake Michigan charter while out there.
Went thru Escanaba last mid-April and still piles of snow.
May, June, July would work.

Mad dog, I'll cover the 1915 pistols. Others as well. Ya got a year to plan.... bring what ya can!
July is good for me. I usually have the Savage Rendezvous in late August but dont let that hinder your plans.

Joe
I prefer July or August, any days. May is way too busy and early June too. If we get a date soon enough I will adjust schedule accordingly if necessary!
And I can come early and help set up or what ever.
July and August are good fishing times on the big pond. Daily weather makes the real difference so having 1 to 3 days available to fish will make it work.
Just tell 'em you lost it. I bet they'll understand.
May, June, July works for me. Good chance of carpooling with a couple other Savagers.
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
I have lots of flexibility. Not sure when the best Salmon fishing is, but it would be nice to spend an extra day and catch a Lake Michigan charter while out there.

I like the way you think, Keith. A little fly fishing might be nice too. All of May and June would work for me.

Just curious, will there be range time involved, or is this strictly a show and tell event?

The map says it's even further than Pa., but if it's anything like Joe's get together, I'm happy to hit the road.
"Just curious, will there be range time involved, or is this strictly a show and tell event?"

I don't know where or what Jeff has planed but in the past it has been a show and tell. Never seems to be enough time or a location for shooting.
Having only been to one get together, I'm curious how your show and tell works. Just an informal wandering and chatting session, or something more organized, like "show and tell" we all remember from school? I could see a participant going to the front of the room and showing and discussing a particular specimen of interest. Just curious.
Informal. Set up your tables, and then walk around and talk/gossip/look.
David had his gun show display at one. Other displays of Model 24's, early Savage .22's, cartridge boxes, pistols (.25's through .45), catalogs and memorabilia.

I've done 99-H's, Short Rife/99-C/99-D, The F's (1899 through 1960), a pair of factory cut-a-ways, tang and receiver sights.

You bring what you have...all good...all interesting.

We could do a more formal "show and tell" if wanted.

RAS used note cards to list model, caliber, etc and laid next to each rifle. That worked great for identifying rifles in the photos. Will try to have everyone do that this time.

As the Savage Fests have always been in populated areas we stay close to the building and eat in house. Lock it down at night for safety. Friday, Saturday and early Sunday just for load up/clean up.
Friday and Saturday go by pretty quickly.
After the fact, I always regret not spending addition time at a particular table(s) or talking more with folks.
In 2018 is was DSR's cartridge boxes. And John Allen's rifles and catalog collection.
I saw my first Savage Washing Machine in person! Maybe she'll be runn'in next time. smile
Thanks for input so far. Let’s keep this going so others can chime in.

To those that have never attended a SavageFest:

Basically, its a single place to see great collections of Savages. Furthermore, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is an absolute beautiful place. There is fantastic walleye and smallmouth bass fishing in the Bay. Blue ribbon trout streams are very abundant here. Millions of acres of public land. Off roading is the best in the country IMO. Even though this is the best place in the world for woodcock, and super awesome for grouse, we won’t be having it in the fall. But you might see some wolves or moose to make up for it. I see bald eagles 4-5 days a week. And I haven’t even talked about the cool stuff yet.

Think about it.
If you fellows can put up with a "durned ol Polecat" , I'd like to be there. Any date would be good for me, it's good to be retired.

Lee
© 24hourcampfire