Home
Posted By: 260Remguy Saw a nice 99G today - 09/09/19
At the Scheels at Village Pointe in Omaha, 402-289-5666.

300 Savage, original, no extra holes, the exterior looked to be at least in the low to mid-90% range condition wise.

SN 402206

$1,200
Posted By: oldotter Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/09/19
In 300 Savage, sounds a bit on the high end. BUT, a nice G is always a mighty fine addition to anybody's safe.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by oldotter
In 300 Savage, sounds a bit on the high end. BUT, a nice G is always a mighty fine addition to anybody's safe.

I would rather have an R in .308. laugh laugh
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19
Condition, condition, condition....
Posted By: S99VG Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

This is another reason why I really like the 300. Not only is it an iconic cartridge worthy of the company’s and Arthur’s name, and fully capable of doing just about anything you need it to do; but it’s also the least appreciated chambering in the 99. These days it even seems to take a back seat to the 303 which a few short years ago was about as desirable as getting an STD (and I am also a fan of the 303). All this tends to add up to lower price expectations for the 300 in the 99. So as far as I am concerned I will take the bargain. I will take the 300!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19
Sounds like it might be time for a road trip to Omaha. Any excuse to get out for a couple hours sounds like a good idea. grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19

Stephen, that darned Drew that used to hang out here sold me a 308 R that came with the paperwork and is as new. It hasn't seen the light of day in a while but it is a good one to drool over.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19
I have a 1950s 99F in .300 that's my go to deer rifle (upstate Pennsylvania). I'd rate it at an honest 90%, perhaps a bit higher. I sure didn't pay even half of what they are asking for the 99G.

Condition certainly matters, chambering matters, but if you want a quality lever that will kill a deer or a black bear and handle an elk or moose if need be, there's nothing wrong with a 99 in .300. Setting aside sentimental value (my .30-30 and my .270 were both gifts from my parents), if I had to live with a single big game rifle, the 99F in .300 would get extremely serious consideration.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19

A little birdie told my you now have one in your safe. wink
Posted By: 99guy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Stephen, that darned Drew that used to hang out here sold me a 308 R that came with the paperwork and is as new. It hasn't seen the light of day in a while but it is a good one to drool over.

Drew had some nice guns. He could sniff them out.

Haven't heard from Drew in a while....
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19
Not much sniffing involved. Once the word gets out the guns find you. Just gotta have the dough ray me when it happens.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/10/19
It's my story, let me tell it.

Drew had nice guns.

And he bought them right.

The boy had talent.

He could find em
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/16/19
Stopped and looked at this. It is a very nice 99G, and Jeff described it very well. Not immaculate, but in very good condition.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/16/19
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Stopped and looked at this. It is a very nice 99G, and Jeff described it very well. Not immaculate, but in very good condition.

At $1,200, it is about $500 more than I'd pay for it, but if somebody wanted a really nice 99G, it is a really nice 99G, particularly for an area without a long history of local deer hunting.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
Jeff/Rory,

Didn't that one have swivels? I can't remember if it did.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
I just bought this one. Low resistance I guess.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830554629
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
Good buy I would say. Gs get no respect...
Posted By: 99guy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
That's a nice looking gun Roy.

Thay Lyman is sweet.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Jeff/Rory,

Didn't that one have swivels? I can't remember if it did.

At Scheels? I don't remember it having swivels. Pretty sure there's one at Cabela's that did, as well as one with the added on cheek piece (which was good workmanship but still...).
Must have been thinking about the Cabela's one. Might be I ain't going crazy..............doubt that part though.
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Must have been thinking about the Cabela's one. Might be I ain't going crazy..............doubt that part though.

That trip has done already been made.. grin

Nice G, Roy. Sometimes they get ignored. I picked up a 99G similar to the Scheel's gun a couple years ago off gunbroker for a ridiculously low price after everybody ignored it. Why was it ignored? No idea.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: SS336 Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
That is a great looking rifle, for sure. Looks to be in great shape and I agree, that Lyman peep sight is sweet.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
After the introduction of the .300 it would seem that a large portion of 99's to follow were in .300. Was that because Savage made them in those numbers and customers had to take what they could get, or did the cartridge take the shooting world by storm (like the 6.5 CM has in recent times) and people demanded a boat load of .300's? I own one .300 and that's plenty for me- if I want (rarely) more .30 caliber oomph than a .30-30 or .303, I have a pile of .30-06's that serve the purpose better IMO.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I have a pile of .30-06's that serve the purpose better IMO.

Opinions are like...........well you know.
grin grin grin

Actually had a 30-06 at one time. They definitely do the job.
I think it took the hunting world by storm. Matching early 30-06 velocities in a short action, low recoil rifle? It outclassed the other cartridges available in the 99 by quite a bit.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
Calhoun, that's a beauty too. I must not be visiting the right gun-shops often enough. All most all of the 99's I see are either real expensive or real beat. Fireball's new rifle seems to be priced right, but Gunbroker scares me. Have had a bad experience there, and would rather look at the rifle in person. Also i don't have the knowledge yet to know if the 99 is what it's supposed to be.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
I'd sell the one it's replacing pretty reasonable, all things considered. smile
Posted By: 99guy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/18/19
After the introduction of the .300 it would seem that a large portion of 99's to follow were in .300. I have a pile of .30-06's that serve the purpose better IMO.

If the purpose is to have a powerful 30 caliber light handy mountain rifle built on a short action, then the 30-06 does not serve that purpose very well at all. That is why the 300 Savage sold so well even though people of that generation could have just as easily spent their money to buy a 30-06.

The 300 Savage was that generation's (1920's-1940's) 308 Winchester before there was a 308 Winchester
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by 99guy
After the introduction of the .300 it would seem that a large portion of 99's to follow were in .300. I have a pile of .30-06's that serve the purpose better IMO.

If the purpose is to have a powerful 30 caliber light handy mountain rifle built on a short action, then the 30-06 does not serve that purpose very well at all. That is why the 300 Savage sold so well even though people of that generation could have just as easily spent their money to buy a 30-06.

The 300 Savage was that generation's (1920's-1940's) 308 Winchester before there was a 308 Winchester

The only factory made light mountain rifle built on a short action that was chambered in 300 Savage was the Savage 1920 and there weren't many of them sold.

If the 300 Savage had really been popular, why aren't there more Winchester 54s and 70s chambered for it?

I don't think that the 300 Savage sold all that well in any rifle except the Savage 99.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/20/19
It sold very well in the Remington Model 81

And Winchester wasn't very interested in promoting any Savage calibers.

When I was coming up I saw dozens of men hunting with 300 Savages in Model 99's and 81's.

I never saw a man in the country I was hunting carrying a Winchester 54 or 70 in any caliber. And neither of those models could be called short action mountain rifles. Certainly not as handy as pre war G, F or EG. Can't throw the model 81 in that category, but about the most powerful semiauto you could buy during it's production run from 1936-1950.

Just sayin...

Edit: Just to add: What would be the point of putting a 300 Savage in the same action and on the same platform in a 54 or 70 that you could put a 270 Win or 30-06. Ain't nobody going to buy that gun. Even the guys at Winchester knew that.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by 99guy
It sold very well in the Remington Model 81

And Winchester wasn't very interested in promoting any Savage calibers.

When I was coming up I saw dozens of men hunting with 300 Savages in Model 99's and 81's.

I never saw a man in the country I was hunting carrying a Winchester 54 or 70 in any caliber. And neither of those models could be called short action mountain rifles. Certainly not as handy as pre war G, F or EG. Can't throw the model 81 in that category, but about the most powerful semiauto you could buy during it's production run from 1936-1950.

Just sayin...

Edit: Just to add: What would be the point of putting a 300 Savage in the same action and on the same platform in a 54 or 70 that you could put a 270 Win or 30-06. Ain't nobody going to buy that gun. Even the guys at Winchester knew that.

No disrespect, but I don't think that any one person's anecdotal experience is likely to be a very accurate reflection of any universe being discussed.

Please note that Winchester sold a lot of Model 70s that were chambered for cartridges shorter than the 270 and 30-06, just not very many in 250 or 300 Savage. Winchester didn't even bother to catalog a short action Model 70 until the 1980's.

There were only around 50,000 Remington 81s made. While it is likely that many of them were chambered in 300 Savage, even if all of them were, 50,000 isn't a very large production run over a 10 year span.

I don't have anything against the 300 Savage. I shot a couple of whitetails with a 760 in 300 Savage back in the 1980's and still have a few dozen on the shelf.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/20/19
No disrespect or offense taken.

I will say this. I think the Savage 99 and Remington Model 81 and the 300 Savage were way more popular in the east than they were in the western states.

The guns and the caliber just suited "our mountain style" of hunting better at that period of time than a bolt action rifle and Remington and Savage recognized that need and demand at the time and capitalized on their market.

Nuff said about that.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/20/19
Regardless of how popular the .300 Savage was as a cartridge was there's no finer a deer rifle than a M99G in .300 Savage. All the gun you need to kill deer and larger critters and as fine handling as a fine English "Best Grade" shotgun. Just sayin'.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Saw a nice 99G today - 09/20/19
Proving that we're all different, I prefer the 1950's style of 99F for deer hunting over any other style of 99.

That's why I selected a 99F when I wanted to put together a 99 in 260, the pinnacle of 99 deer rifles for me.
© 24hourcampfire