Home
Posted By: Fireball2 News at 11 - 09/12/19
I got work to do! smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
Another uphill pack.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
Congratulations are in order..No way in hell would I pack that thing out.. You sudda just wounded it and pushed him back to the vehicle. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
Congrats Roy!! Have fun with the pack out. Lol

Joe
Posted By: SS336 Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
Wow! That's to cool! Congratulations, can't wait to hear the details.Having chest pains just looking at the pack out.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
Congrats! Bear brats?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19

Well done Roy 👍
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
I gotta Bear-B-Q coming up this weekend with a bunch of buddies due to show up for salmon fishing tomorrow. The bears here are PRIME in September. We have a bush covered with acorns and they eat that and manzanita seeds in September and man is it some good eating bear meat. I couldn't smell anything while I was working up this bear, completely odorless. Wow is that going to be fantastic meat. Soaking backstrap in brine as we speak.

I left about 5 am and got to my favorite lookout just at daylight, 6:45 ish. Sneak in real quiet like and boom, there he is feeding in the acorn bushes. He took off and I heard him before I saw him. I gave him a fawn bleat type sound to stop him at 275 yards. Kaboom! Rolling bear. I couldn't tell what was what so I kept shooting until he stopped. Hit him twice, spine and heart. Not my best rodeo by a far piece, but bear in the pot. I'll take pure luck once in a while no problem! There has been a bear in here for a while but I never hunted him as he was smaller then. Then last year we got some forest fires that ripped the place up so everything got turned on it's head. So is he the same bear, who knows? I have seen another color phase bear a few hundred yards from here so it could be him too.

NOW, the rest of the story is after I shot him with the scoped .284, I went back to the truck to get the pack and grabbed the unscoped rifle to carry down there in case he still felt a little sporty about things. So the rifle you see in the photo is the 38-55, but I killed him with the 284.

That 99F .284 is pure poison on game fellas, pure poison. Knocks the ever loving snot out of anything it touches. It's an impressive cartridge for out west. And the Savage lever makes for fast shooting, which unfortunately I needed this time around.

Shortest bear hunt ever. I'll be back to hunt the burn for deer in 3 weeks. One of my kids is going to hunt for the first time this year so I'll see if we can't get him on a big blacktail. I'm setting him up with a early 110 in 243. This area is the one that produced this buck a few years ago. And there's bigger ones in there.

[Linked Image]

Back to meat cutting.

Praise God for Arthur Savage and his amazing lever guns. I love love love my Savages.
Posted By: 1234 Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
congrates Roy!!

Ed
Posted By: WillARights Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
Great job f b

Terrific spot too.

Wouldvd liked to visit and hunt out there with you. In big country rain forestWont get the chance keep knockin em down
Posted By: Polecat Re: News at 11 - 09/12/19
Great job! thanks for the details of the hunt too.
I never could figure out why the 284 win wasn't more popular, it's a great round.
Congrats

Lee
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
Woohoo!!

Maybe I will come out there after all! Keep track of that cinnamon bear for me!!
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19

So what, now this is gonna delay the delivery of my gun?!

Congrats, Roy. Nice work. Any Idea on the weight?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Woohoo!!

Maybe I will come out there after all! Keep track of that cinnamon bear for me!!

If you wanna shot at that friggen bear you needta get on an airplane next Tuesday and getcher butt out here. It is TIME!
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

So what, now this is gonna delay the delivery of my gun?!

Congrats, Roy. Nice work. Any Idea on the weight?

No friggen idea how to judge bear weight.

Over 15 pounds and less than 700.
Posted By: 99guy Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
Great job Roy.

That time right around the corner here as well
Gary's big cinnamon bear leaves these all over just ta rub it in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
You gonna use that 22-250 on something?
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
Tip of the hat to ya, FB!
Posted By: ericn Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
Nice job Fireball. The pack is tough, I'm sure, but honest work with real rewards. Congratulations.
Eric
Originally Posted by wyo1895
You gonna use that 22-250 on something?

Well, I can think of a few things I'm not going to use it on, like bears! laugh I did shoot a bear with a rather smallish cartridge once, *cough* 5.56 *cough*, but that foolishness passed much quicker than the bear did. If he ever did....
Originally Posted by ericn
Nice job Fireball. The pack is tough, I'm sure, but honest work with real rewards. Congratulations.
Eric

Wasn't bad. Steep but short.
Next Tuesday, huh? Wish I could but too short notice, and too late to ship a rifle without paying a king's ransom in overnight fees and last minute flights. With any luck Ole Cinnamon will survive and be 500 pounds of ferocious man-eating Savage fodder next year!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Next Tuesday, huh? Wish I could but too short notice, and too late to ship a rifle without paying a king's ransom in overnight fees and last minute flights. With any luck Ole Cinnamon will survive and be 500 pounds of ferocious man-eating Savage fodder next year!

He might but we might not! All that hard living when we was younger is startin' ta take it's toll!
Don't I know it...!
Posted By: deerstalker Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
congrats Roy!
next year you need to get you a Avalanche with a winch and a mile of wire rope! grin
Bears are just starting to work the apples here. still some purple from hucks in their scat!
Posted By: texken Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
that's outstanding Roy, that was on my bucket list, before my back went to crap.
Posted By: 300savagehunter Re: News at 11 - 09/13/19
Congrats Roy, The only time I see a bear is when the game commission traps them in the corn field. They are long gone by hunting season. Trapped 10 last year, 6 so far this year.

Mike
Posted By: saddlering Re: News at 11 - 09/14/19
Congrads Roy! guess thats the 1St game killed with a 99 for 2019, need to start that Too! I should have a buddy on a nice black bear this sunday! I hope but hes going to use a Henry 41 mag, but its a Leave action! hope to film it for him!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: News at 11 - 09/14/19
OH MY, just had a Tinker Bell thought! Perfect project for a multi barrel take down gun. Get an in line muzzle loader barrel threaded for a take down and you could start hunting with a 99 a month or so earlier? Roy? Jeff? should be an easy one?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: News at 11 - 09/14/19
The answer to the question no one asked!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: News at 11 - 09/14/19
Nicely done!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: News at 11 - 09/15/19
Bear-B-Q at our house tonight. Had another great day.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gregintenn Re: News at 11 - 09/15/19
Neat stuff! I always thought it would be cool to hunt bear.
Posted By: saddlering Re: News at 11 - 09/19/19
My Buddy got his Bear sunday! was in the Blind 10 mins when he came in. I had told him to shoot the bears 2 times, he shot it one time with the Henery 41 mag, it fell off the log it was on. kinda in a sitting pos.he looked at me and said I got him, I said SHOOTn again! the bear jumped off and ran he thru 2 shots at it, the second one hit a foot behind the bear! we waited about 40 mins, and went to where he shot it, he said all that work and its over in 10 mins. I said Over we still have to find him and get him out! that was at ten mins to three started tracking at 3:30. I let Jack start tracking told him to be ready, hes not that good at Tracking, so I took over. I had my Colt Delta 10mm in my hand, a 1/2 mile later I saw the bear dead facing hes back trail 240-250 Male. 2 and 1/2 hrs it took to find him. he was only 125yrds off and old trail but i didnt know this trail a 3 mile walk back to my side by side, then drove back used my Jet sled to drag him to the side by side. got him and the sled on the Hitch & hall and drove home , time 7:35 I did gut him and we iced him down. I cant post pics or I would! his shot was a bit forward. Over my arse!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: News at 11 - 09/19/19
Whoa! Good story!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: News at 11 - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by saddlering
My Buddy got his Bear sunday! was in the Blind 10 mins when he came in. I had told him to shoot the bears 2 times, he shot it one time with the Henery 41 mag, it fell off the log it was on. kinda in a sitting pos.he looked at me and said I got him, I said SHOOTn again! the bear jumped off and ran he thru 2 shots at it, the second one hit a foot behind the bear! we waited about 40 mins, and went to where he shot it, he said all that work and its over in 10 mins. I said Over we still have to find him and get him out! that was at ten mins to three started tracking at 3:30. I let Jack start tracking told him to be ready, hes not that good at Tracking, so I took over. I had my Colt Delta 10mm in my hand, a 1/2 mile later I saw the bear dead facing hes back trail 240-250 Male. 2 and 1/2 hrs it took to find him. he was only 125yrds off and old trail but i didnt know this trail a 3 mile walk back to my side by side, then drove back used my Jet sled to drag him to the side by side. got him and the sled on the Hitch & hall and drove home , time 7:35 I did gut him and we iced him down. I cant post pics or I would! his shot was a bit forward. Over my arse!

Bear shooting can turn into a real clown show.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: News at 11 - 09/19/19
ain't over till its in the frying pan!
Posted By: saddlering Re: News at 11 - 09/19/19
we took him to a Butcher have Bear Brats made and Maple Breakfast sausage!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: News at 11 - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by saddlering

Bear shooting can turn into a real clown show.

Have tickets for Insane Clown Posse up in Syracuse next month.
Good luck Ted!
Did I ever show you fellas how a Savage 99F in 284 works? Really re-arranges the furniture! 145 grain Speer BTSP and 4831 SC powder. Boom!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire