Home
Posted By: SS336 Question on stock serial # - 09/17/19
When did Savage stop stamping the rifle serial number on the stocks and butt plate? Took apart my 52 EG and the numbers don't match the rifles serial number, but are all the same, ET14. They seem to be original to the rifle, the butt stock was pretty hard to get off the receiver. Lots of dried oil and grease to clean up. Ought to be pretty smooth when I get it back together.
I don't think there is an exact date on the change but it was about the timeframe of your gun I believe.

That assembly code should also be stamped on the receiver some where. Look for it before you put the butt stock back.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Question on stock serial # - 09/17/19
I will, thank you Lightfoot.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Question on stock serial # - 09/17/19
Will be stamped on the left side above the lever, you have to remove the buttstock to see it. The date stamp from the lever boss is also there.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Question on stock serial # - 09/17/19
I found it, right there. Any bigger and it would of bit me in the chin. smile Suppose they changed their assembly line order somehow and added stocks after some place in the order of the building.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Question on stock serial # - 09/17/19
The change happened at some point after they moved assembly from the Utica plant to the Chicopee Falls plant. About the same time as they started the date stamps on the lever boss on side of the receiver.

They just did things a bit differently at Chicopee Falls, I'm guessing, and adjusted the 99 production to their methods.
© 24hourcampfire