Home
Posted By: Calhoun Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Came down to look and not really to buy, though as always I get sucked in. This one I don't mind at all. No.. not even a little bit.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

Posted By: SS336 Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Wow! Now that is a sweet R. Looks new, when was it made? I've been drooling over Fireball's pre-war R. I'm a little jealous here.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Nice! Hard to find in 250 too!
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Sweet.

What year born?

I gotta go to Tulsa one day...
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
I've managed to snag one rather ratty 99R in 250 in 15 years.

This, as far as we can see.. is an 1940 RS. Stith mount, 7/8" Stith Bear Cub scope with post and crosshair, Stith slot filler in front sight slot. Originally would have had a Redfield 70LH and rear sight slot filler.

Downside is somebody bedded the forearm (great job, not visible), and machined down the studs to be thinner (presumable to work wtih most sling swivels). But I think it's the original studs, but "shrunk" and blued again.

My kind of gun. grin
Posted By: 99guy Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Livin on Tulsa time...

grin
Posted By: ctw Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
So what about the receiver stamp?
Don't know what to make of that. Obviously at least 2 stamps made there. I don't think it means anything much beyond that.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Calhoun: Would you not guess that the "re-struck" and extra proof marks means that the factory re-barreled it?
I am NO expert on savage Rifles but their presence in the form they are in, leans me to thinking that-a-way?
Enjoy your cool Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Would you take a picture of the sling swivel studs close up? My 52 EG has pre-war R studs on it for some reason and I'm just bubba enough to do the same to them. Would be cheaper than Winchester Super Grade swivels. grin
Originally Posted by SS336
Would you take a picture of the sling swivel studs close up? My 52 EG has pre-war R studs on it for some reason and I'm just bubba enough to do the same to them. Would be cheaper than Winchester Super Grade swivels. grin

Can probably do that in the next couple of days.

I've seen prewar RS studs on multiple postwar EG's in the last year and was confused as to why.

Finally found out why. They sold the studs/swivels after the war. 7/8" studs and swivels in 1946 cost $0.80.
Appreciate that. The studs on mine don't really match each other. The front one is radiused top and bottom . The butt stock is very square (sharp angle) top and bottom. The fore end stud was put in at a angle, I assume because of the taper of the fore end. I've corrected that and everything works correctly now. But they still require the WSG swivels. Would be interesting to see what someone did to work around that.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Calhoun: Would you not guess that the "re-struck" and extra proof marks means that the factory re-barreled it?
I am NO expert on savage Rifles but their presence in the form they are in, leans me to thinking that-a-way?
Enjoy your cool Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I doubt if the Savage factory did any work on it. The overstamping is probably just a mistake, we saw a 99 with double stamped SP proofs today as well.

The RS is a very uncommon model, it was a lot of money back in the Depression. Available only in 300 Savage and 250-3000, the large majority are 300 Savage.

A quick google shows 7/8” Stith Bear Cub scopes date to early 50’s. Not rebarreled by Savage then, or barrel would say Chicopee Falls. So it’s just an RS that’s been “modernized” a couple times thru it’s life, but used very little. I’m debating putting a Redfield 70LH and front sight back on, though probably won’t.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Pretty rifle Rory cool sick cool
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
When you aren't looking really is when they pop up. Congratulations.
Posted By: Savageupnorth Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
I like it! Good find.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19

See any cut checked minty DL's at the show? Excelent find on the R/ Stith set up. I had plans to go but they didn't work out. GW
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Nice snag, Rory. Your first 99? grin

I attended a small local show this morning. Not many Savages, and those that were there were over priced. I picked up a late-ish 1899 to look at, saw it was a .32-40, thought the tag said $850 and got excited. Looked closer and saw "2850" and the excitement faded- not nearly nice enough condition to justify that amount. (I then peeked through the bore and saw pure rot so that clinched it.)
$2850? What was it? What model or features?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Tulsa find... - 11/09/19
Just an 1899A, nothing fancy. 70-80% condition, with a sewer pipe bore. A rifle has to have a decent bore or I don't want it- I shoot my stuff, not just look at it and brag about having it.
Those 26" barrels make nice jack handles.

Just sayin'.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Tulsa find... - 11/10/19
Very Nice Find Rory! Tulsa on my Buckets list!
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Tulsa find... - 11/10/19
Quite the rifle Rory! I'm thinking you may be looking a little like this for a while. grin Enjoy. smile
© 24hourcampfire