Home
Posted By: oldotter Good luck........... - 11/13/19
Last post for the next week or so. In the early morning heading up to Michigan's upper peninsula with the pre war stith wearing 99 R to let the air out of a deer thats willing to step out in front of a 150 grain Nosler partition. Bout a 7.5 hour trip, Stopping at Tonys at Birch Run exit for a gallon of hunters chile and a side of bacon. Their side of bacon is a styrofoam dinner to-go container so full you can't close the lid without staples. Most Michiganders are in the know when Tonys is involved. State wide renowned. Hope for a good season since its my last going to this lot. Sold as of December 1st.

Good luck and safe hunting to all.
Jerry
Posted By: Boyd45 Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Enjoy and be safe.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Nan and I are headed to Anticosti EARLY Saturday morning. 2 weeks gone. LOTS of snow again this year. Not sure if we'll be snowmobiles or 4 wheelers. Depends on snow conditions. Hell, we're still eating deer meat from LAST November.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Good luck, Jerry. I guess the old 303 F just got bumped down a peg?
Posted By: Polecat Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Good luck in the UP. Sorry to here about loosing your hunting spot. I used to hunt the western part of the UP, beautiful country.

Lee
Posted By: SS336 Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Good luck to both of you, be safe. Happy hunting.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Everyone... remember to take lots of photos. smile
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Good luck Jerry and LBK. Shoot straight and be safe!!

Joe
Posted By: RAS Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
I am in the UP but going to Indian River for old times sake.

Go to Wilson’s cheese shop in Pinconning, MI for real food. I highly recommend medium sharp.

For pasties, go to Gram’s Pasties in Escanaba.

Skip Tony’s. Just because you get a lot, doesn’t mean it’s good. smile

Posted By: diamondjim Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Can't wait to see all of the dead deer and 99s.....good luck all!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Good luck, Jerry!! Shoot a big fat one!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
You fellas sure are getting a late start! Maybe next year some of you's guys can come out to Oregon and hunt up a blacktail early then head home for your openers.
Posted By: Joe Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Hope you have as much fun as I've had thus far!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Been slow here, we need SNOW. We're running out of time.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Go get them Jerry, just getting my stuff set for tomorrows opener! I have a doe tag and 2 buck tags! going to show Roy that the 250 BB can kill Deer! we have 6-7 inchs of that white stuff and its been COLD! happy Hunting to All!
Posted By: docost99 Re: Good luck........... - 11/14/19
Any of you guys hunting in Dickinson Cty in the UP?
Posted By: texken Re: Good luck........... - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Nan and I are headed to Anticosti EARLY Saturday morning. 2 weeks gone. LOTS of snow again this year. Not sure if we'll be snowmobiles or 4 wheelers. Depends on snow conditions. Hell, we're still eating deer meat from LAST November.

good luck, stay safe
Posted By: saddlering Re: Good luck........... - 11/19/19
No Luck for me yet! very slow opener, had a spike walk by me, cant shoot them! and 3 deer run by, thats it so far!been the worse deer season I can rember here!
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: Good luck........... - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by saddlering
No Luck for me yet! very slow opener, had a spike walk by me, cant shoot them! and 3 deer run by, thats it so far!been the worse deer season I can rember here!

Same here John. Archery season was a bust for me. Hopefully rifle season is different.

Joe
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Good luck........... - 11/19/19
All my friends have stocked the fridge with bow and muzzle loader, I passed on several doe. I was waiting for a little buck to cross the creek, but he didn't. My cousin shot a nice 8 with the rack outside of the ears with his crossbow, but couldn't find it. He tracks them best he can for a long time, red green color blind so he doesn't see blood that screams at me. Couple days late he shot another nice 8, that was 158 on the hook. WV opens next Monday. I'm leaving early Friday to hit an auction on the way, then up to camp to settle in.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Good luck........... - 11/19/19
Went out opening day morning. Usually have my pick of the litter. Nothing. Evening......nothing. Following morning.....nothing. Beginning to think there is a deer convention the next county over and they are all in attendance. Second evening, went back out at 1:55. Ass barely hit the seat, when I look out and see this spike glaring in my direction facing me straight on. Thought to myself ......spikes get a free pass. After a few minutes the spike turns giving me a good side view. Holy fugg Bat Man, the body is bigger than the 8 point I got almost the same spot as last year. After a few minutes to let the jury come back in, the unanimous decision was to let the air out of said spike. Spined it just above the shoulder. Needless to say, I didn't have to track. Had it aged at a DNR check station on the trip home. Said it was 3 1/2 year old. Why the rack was only 4" spike is anybodys guess.

John, sorry to hear your luck has been less than stellar. Remember the battle cry, "It aint over till its over."
Originally Posted by RAS

Ras, everybody in my posse loves Tony"s. Quantity and quality are up to my low standards. The hunters chlle got eaten faster than a bag of M&Ms in Ethiopia .
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Good luck........... - 11/19/19
When I hunted in Texas that was known as a 'cull buck' and the ranchers were glad to have them out of the gene pool. Most hunts included a buck an a doe but the cull buck counted as a doe. My last cull buck was way bigger than the 8 point with the perfect rack. He ate real good too.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Good luck........... - 11/19/19
We seem to have two gene pools of mule deer. Really big fork horns, three points and four points in one pool and little spindly multiple points that barely stick up above the ears in the other pool.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Good luck........... - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by RAS
I am in the UP but going to Indian River for old times sake.

Go to Wilson’s cheese shop in Pinconning, MI for real food. I highly recommend medium sharp.

For pasties, go to Gram’s Pasties in Escanaba.

Really missing those great pasties Jeff. Good luck sir.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Good luck........... - 11/28/19
Well Fellows, better Late than never! shot a big Doe yesterday! but because of the rain/ snow I used my 25-45 AR, But its supposed to Duplicate the savage 250-3000 round, and I did use a 87 grain speer Hot Core bullet! one shot at 70 yrds bang Flop! wish it would have been with my 250 BB but the weather was bad!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Good luck........... - 11/29/19
Congratulations, we need pictures.
© 24hourcampfire