Home
Has anybody played with these?

I see you can buy them cheaper than Green Box.

I've shot Hornady factory ammo in other calibers before and have never been disappointed.

So:

Just curious...

?

If it helps I've got a schitload of old misc 257 bullets if you want to handload.
The '59 99F I acquired from Roy does extremely well with them at 50 yds with factory irons. The first two groups I shot with the rifle each went 3/8 and 5/8 with the first two rounds of each in the same hole.

Oddly, the rifle has a 1 in 10 1/2 ROT.
You never know Rate of twist till you measure them. My supposedly 1-14 twist 250 Savages I have measured vary from 1-13.5 to 1-14.5 older EG,s.
That's because Roy clamped the muzzle in a vise and put a pipe wrench with cheater bar on the breech and gave the whole barrel a 360º twist to make it shoot heavier bullets. (I hope he twisted it in the correct direction.)
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That's because Roy clamped the muzzle in a vise and put a pipe wrench with cheater bar on the breech and gave the whole barrel a 360º twist to make it shoot heavier bullets. (I hope he twisted it in the correct direction.)

You gotta gittem red hot to do that. Ask me how I know.
Ok. How do you know? (You asked.)
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Seems like
That Roy knows his business!
I think that barrel's gunna hafta come off Steve!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jus lemme finish breckfust first

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I wonder how long that Hornady bullet is compared to say a grain 100 grain Cor lokt?
Originally Posted by 99guy
I wonder how long that Hornady bullet is compared to say a grain 100 grain Cor lokt?

.987 100 grain Hornady Interlock

.928 100 grain Remington Core-Lokt pointed soft point
I found this sight helpful for bullet length. http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml#Hornady

Lee
Originally Posted by roundoak

Ooh.. I'd go with the Remington for old 250-3000's given this.
I have used both the Remington 100 grain and the Remington 120 grain bullets in both a 257 Roberts and also a 25-06. I have never used the 100 grain Hornady.

But I can tell you from personally experience the 100 Gr. Rem CL is super accurate in both my rifles and not good at all for game killing. I used them to kill 3 antelope and one deer and all 4 bullets broke up completely with poor penetration. But on the other end I used Remington's 120 grain CLs which is also accurate. Not as accurate as the 100 grain, but it has been excellent for killing game. I have killed 2 big deer and I loaded some for 2 friends who also used them on deer and antelope and ALL exited with one hitting a 4X5 mule deer in the upper leg bone and going clear through the chest of that buck, but still exited in the rear of the ribs on the other side.

How that compares to the Hornady I can't say, but the 120 grain CL was pretty impressive. In my rifles is shoots about 1 MOA. The 100 Gr shoots under 1/2 MOA but won't hold together, so I will not use any more of them on deer or antelope. Varmints are in real trouble however.
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Triple-duece took apart a R250SV a couple years ago and it was 0.928. I bought a couple boxs of 100 PSP Core-lokts this summer and they measure 0.953". Both are still shorter than the Hornady's.
Originally Posted by Polecat
I found this sight helpful for bullet length. http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml#Hornady

Lee

This site matches what I mic for the Hornady 100 grain length @ .987, but does not match what I mic for the Speer 100 grain which I found will shoot in some ROT 1:14" twist.

.940 Speer Hot-Cor SP

1.019 Speer Hot-Cor SP on the website
Yeah it's not flawless, but most of the measurements are accurate. I suspect the bullet manufactures change some of their bullets from time to time and it doesn't get updated. I use their stability calculator quite a bit also.

Lee
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Yep.

Was worth a shot though. All my 250's are 1-14. I bet it's a damn good bullet in the post mil 250's though...

I might buy a box and try them anyhow.
Originally Posted by szihn
I have used both the Remington 100 grain and the Remington 120 grain bullets in both a 257 Roberts and also a 25-06. I have never used the 100 grain Hornady.

But I can tell you from personally experience the 100 Gr. Rem CL is super accurate in both my rifles and not good at all for game killing. I used them to kill 3 antelope and one deer and all 4 bullets broke up completely with poor penetration.

Just a thought.

I think if you slowed those 100 grain CL down a little you would be happier with bullet performance on game.
Originally Posted by szihn

But I can tell you from personally experience the 100 Gr. Rem CL is super accurate in both my rifles and not good at all for game killing. I used them to kill 3 antelope and one deer and all 4 bullets broke up completely with poor penetration.

Just a thought.

I think if you slowed those 100 grain CL down a little you would be happier with bullet performance on game.

I was going to say the same thing. I've taken two pigs, one 220 pounds and one 150 pounds, both bang flop. I've had my 250 R for over 20 years and usually take 2-3 a year, sometimes 4. All of the deer have been under 140 pounds, with most in the 100-110 range. I do find the 100 to be very accurate in my 250.
The 100 grain CL might not be the best choice on game at 25-06 or even 257 Bob velocities, regardless of accuracy.
© 24hourcampfire