Home
I got this Lyman Alaskan with spacers so it will fit 1" rings from a member here recently. Decided the pre WWII 99F 300 Sav was the perfect platform for the scope along with a Lightfoot mount.
left side
[Linked Image]
right side
[Linked Image]
Gotta get an elk and load some more 300 Savage ammo before I can take it out and zero it in.
Looks great!
How's the cheek weld work out with those scopes on low combed iron sight guns?
I don't seem to have that cheek weld problem. Short neck I guess. I would have used lower rings if I had them, though. I need to stock up on a few sets.
If a person mounts a Lightfoot mount, does it require the use of low rings on a 99 or does it depend on the scope and the physical characteristics of the shooter.
I love that. My Lightfoot mount is in the oven right now.
I have a pre WWII F in 303, with a Lightfoot and a K4. The only problem I have with the weld is getting a deer to walk in front of me while I'm welded.
The scope is the only limitation on what rings you use. In other words if it had big fat front bell you would need taller rings. The setup I pictured would work well with lower rings as would Weaver K2.5 type scopes.
Lightfoot sure makes a high quality looking mount!!
Straight tube scopes work best with the low rings.

Any sort of bell will need medium rings up to 40mm.

40mm and bigger needs high rings.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!
Thought I would take some photos of various 99's and scope configurations to give you guys some ideas of how they work.
tried to put a Vari-X 3 with a 50 MM objective on the 99F. It didn't work, the bottom of the bell hit the front of the lightfoot mount. A 50 mm with a longer tube might be mounted far enough forward to work.
40 mm objective on Leupold high mount on the 99F. There is good clearance.
[Linked Image]
Weaver K4 on a low mount on a saddle ring carbine. adequate clearance
[Linked Image]
Alaskan on a lightweight barrel 99G in 7/8" Redfield mounts. Adequate clearance.
[Linked Image]
Unfortunately I don't have a set of low rings that I could mount a straight tube 1" scope on to show you guys that setup.
© 24hourcampfire