Home
Posted By: KFWA what is this one worth? - 01/12/20
would like to get a consensus on what this one is worth.

I'm considering bidding on it

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852835409
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: what is this one worth? - 01/12/20
It has no collector value so whatever a shooter is worth to you.
Originally Posted by KFWA
would like to get a consensus on what this one is worth.

I'm considering bidding on it

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852835409

The seller seems to be making an attempt at an honest description. It is not a collector and worth is what you know you can afford. Pad will need replacement. The plus is you will have the base and rings. You will also need to bid against several other bidders. For that one you'll end up north of $500. Your move.
Posted By: KFWA Re: what is this one worth? - 01/12/20
I was hoping $500 even

Its got 6 days left. I'll follow it and see where its going, and will wait to hear from others on here

I'm not interested in a collectors gun, I'm interested in one I can shoot and drag around with me.
Posted By: 99guy Re: what is this one worth? - 01/13/20
500 is the absolute most I would go because it's going to need some work

I wouldn't pay anything for it until I saw a better picture of the wood behind the tang.

Keep your eye on it and if it's where you want to be at the end bid on it.

You can't win the auction until the end of the auction, so I am always the last bidder on these internet auctions or a live auction. I wait until the "going once call".

If the other participants get it bid it up past what I'm want to pay, I never have to raise my hand. grin
Posted By: gunswizard Re: what is this one worth? - 01/13/20
With 10 bids only advancing it $180.00 I'd say you may have a chance of winning bid not exceeding $500.00. In an auction your guess is as good as anyone elses, be interesting to see what the hammer price ends up being.
Posted By: KFWA Re: what is this one worth? - 01/13/20
there will always be another one if I don't get it.

I have a good 99 now, I just wanted one in .308

I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out
I got one a couple years ago without the Goodyear flat tire on the back end for 425.00 delivered to my ffl. But that was a couple years ago. And it was sans the rings and bases. That one has been carried alot. Pretty gray on the bottom. That said mine shoots fantastic. I would not hesitate to use it on anything other than a brown.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: what is this one worth? - 01/13/20
Looks like a good honest hunting gun. Good luck. Still a "lot of green felt between your ball and the corner pocket".

Word to the wise, when bidding on a gun on an internet auction, don't advertise your intentions publicly. Who knows what lurkers are out there who now are aware of it. It's pretty much why we have an unwritten rule here about posting live auctions. I truly wish you good luck.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: what is this one worth? - 01/13/20
If it's just a 308 that you want , keep your eyes open for an "E", I got one for $300 at an estate sale about 3 years ago, and a DL the same year from a friend for $350. The friend I got the DL from said, "I never did like that gun, I would have taken $100 for it, but I'm not giving you any change back".
Oops, looking at pics, I got both those guns more like 6 years ago, than 3. Prices do go up on guns with condition. Around here I think prices have been falling on hunter grade guns, kids just don't want them.
Posted By: KFWA Re: what is this one worth? - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
If it's just a 308 that you want , keep your eyes open for an "E", I got one for $300 at an estate sale about 3 years ago, and a DL the same year from a friend for $350. The friend I got the DL from said, "I never did like that gun, I would have taken $100 for it, but I'm not giving you any change back".

I'll look but I never have that kind of luck. I'm just not that well connected
Well, I hate giving away my secrets, but here goes. My friend and I went to a big estate sale from a Savage collector. Together we couldn't buy a single gun. He came up with the idea to find an estate sale with just a couple guns, the same day as two big shows, in the general area. There were big gun shows in Northern VA and York PA, and a big car show at Carlisle PA. Lots of gun guys are car guys too. We figured there were no gun guys left to go to a little auction with only a couple guns. We went to "auctionzip", entered my zip, then enter 50 mile radius, then Savage 1899, search. That's how I found my 1927 F in 303 for $140. That was in 2011, but the idea still works.
Posted By: crsides Re: what is this one worth? - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Well, I hate giving away my secrets, but here goes. My friend and I went to a big estate sale from a Savage collector. Together we couldn't buy a single gun. He came up with the idea to find an estate sale with just a couple guns, the same day as two big shows, in the general area. There were big gun shows in Northern VA and York PA, and a big car show at Carlisle PA. Lots of gun guys are car guys too. We figured there were no gun guys left to go to a little auction with only a couple guns. We went to "auctionzip", entered my zip, then enter 50 mile radius, then Savage 1899, search. That's how I found my 1927 F in 303 for $140. That was in 2011, but the idea still works.

Not bad
Posted By: KFWA Re: what is this one worth? - 01/20/20
gun ended up going for $605

oh well
© 24hourcampfire