Home
Posted By: SS336 Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
My 52 EG is nearing completion. grin Very happy with it, still haven't decided on what to do with the rear sight. The tang sight stays, so the rear sight will be replaced or a blank put in the slot. All the problems are solved and issues fixed. Thanks to all that put up with my questions and helped me figure out the problems I had. The color on the stock isn't quite as "yellow" as it appears pictures, but not a match to original. Did buy the stain fireball suggested but got carried away with the project and forgot to use it. cry Next time

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]hinata hyuga and naruto uzumaki
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]www centennialbank com
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Loggah Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
That rifle looks great !!! I was a 52 model also and that is definately in better shape then im in . smile
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
Looks very good!
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by Loggah
That rifle looks great !!! I was a 52 model also and that is definately in better shape then im in . smile

You're just a pup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: S99VG Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
Tinker on!
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
Looks like a nice piece of wood. What type of finish did you use?
Posted By: JeffG Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
Really nice work SS336, (...but we need to work on your internet handle.. wink ) , good job re-pointing the checkering, very close to original blueing color match, what did you use for the wood finish?

We used to have to file these rear sight blanks out of old sight tabs, now Brownells is selling nice ones:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SS336 Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
I'm pretty low tech. Should of used the stain that was recomended, but it's just Tru-oil and a lot of rubbing with pumice and mineral oil. Johnson paste wax when finished. Lots of dents and dings to steam out. Didn't want to fill the pores entirely. Looks real nice in person, but could be a little redder. Inletting is coated with marine spar varnish.
Posted By: damnesia Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
If this is too far off topic, I'll start a new thread if I get around to it. My opinion, which could be completely wrong, is the stocks on the 99s in the 50s were stained differently than the pre 1930s guns. But I only have one 99 newer than 1930 and while I am pretty sure it hasn't been refinished it looks pretty dark so not a good comparison to what is correct. The older guns seem to be the reddish color that was popular back then. Opinions about this?

The last one I refinished was from 1919 and I used Minwax Gunstock, I think the number is 231 but I'd have to look. It looked perfect on the wood, right up until the first coat of varnish dried, although it's still pretty close. I think it should be more red though. I have some 99 stocks that have been cut for a recoil pad and I'm going to test out Mahogany or mixing Gunstock and Mahogany to see what happens. What stain did Fireball2 recommend?

Oh, nice job wink Did you blue it as well?
JeffG, damnesia, I like that sight tab. Blueing on rifle is factory, it's little thin on the bottom and the barrel has got some thin areas, scratches and a very little freckling in spots. Checkering is not re-pointed, but in good shape. Citra-strip and toothbrush cleans it out when tacking the old finish off. I then mask the checkering finish the stock, then pull the tape off and mix Tru-oil 50/50 with mineral spirits and put two coats just on the checkering. probably 20 ways to do this but that's my way.

Fireball2 recommend Min-wax red mahogany #225 on a post in September. He's done a bunch of stocks so I went out and got some. I just going on this and forgot about the stain till I had a couple of coats on the stock. It looks good, but....
Thanks, the Red Mahogany #225 is what I was planning on trying next. The next project I was going to work on is a fairly uncommon 99 if I understand correctly. The bluing is crap and it has a small tang crack, but I still haven't been able to talk myself into redoing it. Getting closer though.
Sounds like a great winter project to me. I finished mine to early, groundhog hasn't even come up to see his shadow yet. grin
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20

Well done.
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
Looks great.
Originally Posted by SS336
Sounds like a great winter project to me. I finished mine to early, groundhog hasn't even come up to see his shadow yet. grin

Definitely, but it's always difficult to bring myself to strip the finish, or what's left of the finish, from a 100+ year old rifle. So I like to wait long enough to make sure I won't regret doing it.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/17/20
Like what you've done with it cool cool
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/18/20
Nice work.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/18/20
May I offer a humble opinion on rear sight. Instead of the fine looking rear blank, I like to put in an appropriate rear folding leaf as a back up. In case I inadvertently have an OOOPS!! with the peep, can flip up the rear and still in business.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/18/20
That's a great suggestion. A Lyman 16C can be had for the price of the blank - maybe less.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/18/20
I like that idea on the Lyman 16C, oldotter and Lightfoot. that sounds like just what I'll do.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/18/20
Ok, why a 16C instead of,... say a 16B? Will the height make that much difference sighted in at 75 yards?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by SS336
Ok, why a 16C instead of,... say a 16B? Will the height make that much difference sighted in at 75 yards?

Either will probably work. Savage put the C on later post mill guns.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Tinkerbell Spl. - 01/18/20
Nice job !
© 24hourcampfire