Home
Went to look at a Sako today in 264 WM and came home with a 1907(ser# 68xxx) 1899 savage in 32-40! I believe its a model A? Number on forearm matched ser#. It has a 26 octagonal barrel. Has I believe a Beeches front flip sight? and peep tang. I couldn't pass it up because I will probably never see one again. Got it for 650 so I think I did well. Bore is a little dark but definatly has rifling. If anyone would like to see it just PM your phone # and I will gladly send pics to you. Any idea how rare these are 32-40? TY
Octagonal barrel is a B. Anything in 32-40 is not common. I passed up a very nice 1899 short rifle in 38-55 several years ago and I'm still kicking myself.
Wow, sounds like a nice score!
There were 3 guys waiting for me to set it back down!
TY for info Joe
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
There were 3 guys waiting for me to set it back down!

Dont'tcha just love that?! Nice score. A .32-40 B would get my Savage juices going again.
Early 1906, not 1907, and 1899B as mentioned. Definitely not common in 32-40!!! Great buy!
Great price for an 1899B I'd be curious what it looks like for that money. I gave a lot more than that for a round barrel 32-40 and I'd rather have the octagon!
I love the octagons too. Luckily I still have some lead bullet reloads I bought to test fire an 1894 in 32-40
WoW! BLR358WIN-ner!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
TY Jeff G!
wow what a nice find for that kind of money !

plab
You could sell that gun for $1650, easily.

Congratulations!
Nice !! rare caliber in a fine old rifle. smile
darn it RAS! I was going to offer him a quick hunnert profit!
Had a 94 win in 32-40
Still kicking myself for that deal.
I trained my son well in the early years, as last august he sent me an 1899B, 1904, 32-40 in 98% cond. If I ever figure out how to post pics will do so. Enjoy yours.
Tom
You guys are making think twice about shooting this thing! But I will tomorrow morning. Curious how well it shoots with all those crazy sights on it.
Go ahead and shoot it. Just please be careful and don’t lend it out to your neighbor Lenny.

Seriously, that is a really nice rifle. Pinch yourself because you hit the Savage lottery.
Shot the 32-40 today with some 170 gr lead very mild reloads. It shot about a 3 inch 8 shot group at 30 yds. the more I shot it the tighter the group got. Not great but not bad for 114 years old! Stopped at my LGS and let the owner check it over. He said he'd give me a grand for it. I said no. He said I did okay paying 650 for it.
The only Savage in 32-40 I have had in my hands had a scope mounted on it and was priced at $895, if I remember correctly. I should have bought it.
I've got several, but not an 1899B. Jealous.
Heres a few in 32-40,still hunting for a saddle ring carbine.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]
That second one from the top gets my heart aflutter. grin
V nice!!
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
Shot the 32-40 today with some 170 gr lead very mild reloads. It shot about a 3 inch 8 shot group at 30 yds. the more I shot it the tighter the group got. Not great but not bad for 114 years old! Stopped at my LGS and let the owner check it over. He said he'd give me a grand for it. I said no. He said I did okay paying 650 for it.

you stole that one ,there would have been NO hesitation if I was there.
Norm, what pushed me over the edge was when I noticed guys lining up behind me mumbling amongst themselves and that 32-40 stamped on the top of the barrel.
© 24hourcampfire