Home
Posted By: blairvt boyds - 01/28/20
Has anyone tried a Boyds 99 stock? How was it? Anywhere else to get one? I have a 99 with mismatched stocks I'd like to fix up
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: boyds - 01/28/20
You might ask for what you need here and see if someone has one that works for your project. Not speaking for anyone else but I have a few.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: boyds - 01/28/20
I used a gunstockinc.com stock on a f 308 post mil with good results. Soon as I sat I will post a pic.
ccrappy pic taken with a tablet. I bought the stock from a guy that thught it was a finished drop in stock. he didn't have the ability to fit and finish it. actually a nice piece of wood and I was to the sanding stage in about a hour.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: S99VG Re: boyds - 01/29/20
I haven't tried a Boyds stock but they are very plain, don't match anything Savage ever made and scream Boyds. Having said that there is nothing wronfgwith them as a handle but as FB2 said, someone here might set you up better. Also, there are other stock makers but I suspect their stuff will need more fitting than a Boyds stock.
Posted By: Tomygun1 Re: boyds - 01/29/20
30yrs ago I did a restoration using a Bishop 90% straight grain blank and it turned out great.
Tom
Posted By: blairvt Re: boyds - 01/30/20
Here is the rifle. Its a 250 but I don't know the model. Appreciate any help in finding some matching stocks. Also, its harder to close the the lever the last inch or so than on my other 99's. Any ideas?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: damnesia Re: boyds - 01/30/20
There are more original stocks on eBay right now then there normally is. Not sure if any of then are correct for your gun. Seem to be in passable shape, or at least they don't appear to have giant cracks.

I shaped a Boyd's stock for my previous ffl guy. Took some time but it looked original when done. Out of the box though, they're pretty hidious.
© 24hourcampfire