Home
Should I post up a whole bunch?

There's a lot.
Sure, I'm retired with nothing to do, till we leave for Denver.
Sure!
Do what's easiest for you.
Can you post logical groups? pistols, ammo, rifle types, etc.?
That way we may get some education out of it rather than just slobber all over the place at the shear volume of nice stuff.
Just a thought...
I'll post them rather slowly to give time to ask questions about any of the guns/ammo/whatever in them, rather than throw them all out at once.

Start with some 1895's to the right, and some early 1899's including takedown SR's on the center? Checkered 1895's, 1895 musket, couple MHG's..

Look closely and there's an 1895 carbine and musket and 1899 musket (NOT MHG) peeking out of the back row.

Picture from Maine here, picture from the 2007 Fest below it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
Some carbines that Fug displayed at Tulsa years ago, including the 1895 SRC at the top and a checkered SRC with pistol grip second from the top. All of them gorgeous.

Also the second from the top is C engraved
Thanks, I knew one was but my camera wasn't good enough back then to capture it. I think I have some inside pictures of that later.

Picture of one end of one row of racks...

Oh dear Me yes, please share whatever pictures you are allowed to, Thanks!!
Another view of some of the 1895's that he displayed in Tulsa.

[img]https://www.savagefest.net/Tulsa2012/13.JPG
Where is the picture of savage no.1??? i know its there in the corner! grin Every time i go there i want to come home and dumpterize my stuff !!!!! blush crazy crazy grin
These pictures are making my thighs sticky...............:D laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Loggah
Where is the picture of savage no.1??? i know its there in the corner! grin Every time i go there i want to come home and dumpterize my stuff !!!!! blush crazy crazy grin

Sadly, I didn't get a good picture of that. Was in Savage overload.

You guys slay me. You got the bull by the balls. You both have the best collections in the entire country and are the envy of most. EVEN if they won't say so. Thanks to the two of you guys I am deep into it. and there is no recovering.
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Sadly, I didn't get a good picture of that. Was in Savage overload.

I have one somewhere from when it was a Julia's before the auction I will do my best to come up with it
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

OK, I'm out....

sick sick grin
Racks of joy.. grin

WOW!!
Originally Posted by Fireball2

OK, I'm out....
sick sick grin

It was spilled coffee....relax. smile
Could 1895's really be ordered with #21B rear sights?

Learn something new every day.
Originally Posted by mad_dog

Betting there's a work order number for that.
Now out of the racks, and moving on to some miscellaneous pictures.

Racks of joy.. grin

These are nice, but I was going a whole different direction..........
Make no mistake, I am excited to see these collections. But I am filled to the gills with jealousy. Just being honest!

With the amount of time I spend scouring the web and gun shows, searching for decent 99’s, I surely could have already cured the coronavirus!! Meanwhile, these cats have a sufficient number of gorgeous 99’s to use as fence posts around two 40 acre ranches. It’s hard to even wrap my head around.

I’m only 35, I don’t think I’ll even see that many nice 99’s come up for sale in my lifetime.
If you put the effort in, and put enough years in, you'll see them. You won't see them in a 5 year or 10 year span, but these collections weren't built in a few years.

Continuing... hey, a 99K still in the box? Not something you see every day. Wooden 99 replica, rare boxes of bullets, miscellaneous advertising behind all of that... would take years to soak it all in.

As a chaser, a 99G still in the box, and a display case of sights. Savage knife hiding in back..

I don't mean to interrupt, but here's the best I can do on Fug's number 1 gun. I believe the story goes that this is the action that gave birth to the Savage lever action. Looks like a Martini to me. I am dummer than a bag of rocks so anybody is welcome to come forth with the REAL info. The pictures are from the Julia auction prior to Doug actually bidding the pants off everyone.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The #1 can be seen on the barrel just ahead of the receiver.

Bigger.. good pics!

All you have to do to ANY picture I post is click on the picture and it will enlarge. Post image is that way unless you have a secret that you could share with me via PM.
Gentlemen, in my 5 years of collecting 99’s i have managed to snag a few nice ones. It’s collections like this that keep me inspired. Now i know i will never be able to afford anything even close to this but i will die trying. Lol. My hats off to you guys!!! Thanks for making us drool!!

Joe
Hopefully i will be able to see these in person one day.

Joe
Rory, That savage converted martini is the one that started it all !!!! grinDo you have any pictures of Dougs ammo wall? that in itself is amazing! i never take any pictures of anything,not smart enough to run a digital camera.! blush
Originally Posted by mad_dog

Betting there's a work order number for that.

I don't know about that.

The 1895 and the 1900 catalogs don't show the 21, it doesn't show up till the 1903 catalog.

The Fug could clear this up.
Unbelievable!!!
That savage converted martini is the one that started it all !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Rory, That savage converted martini is the one that started it all !!!! grinDo you have any pictures of Dougs ammo wall? that in itself is amazing! i never take any pictures of anything,not smart enough to run a digital camera.! blush

No pictures of the ammo wall sadly. Got a few pictures of the shelves with ammo... get to those soon probably.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Doug, what in the world does a guy have to do for a living to build a collection like that?! I don't have disposable income!
Doug, what in the world does a guy have to do for a living to build a collection like that?! I don't have disposable income!

You've heard the phrase "Work smart, not hard"?

He does both. grin
Thanks, I knew one was but my camera wasn't good enough back then to capture it. I think I have some inside pictures of that later.

Sweet mother Jesus. Bow my head. I get shaky every time I see these.
That one on the end is amazing.. engraved, fancy wood, crescent buttplate, checkered, pistol grip, takedown.. and in 250-3000.

How many engraved, crescent buttplate 250-3000's are there? confused

It's a beauty!
Wow!
What a beautiful load of eye candy!
Thanks for posting. I would pay to personally see and fondle those!
I'm very impressed and just a little bit jealous.
Thanks so much for sharing.......Ed
shocked cry There's none left.....anywhere. What the Fug! grin
I took pics of the Martini based Savage #1 at the March 2013 Julia auction. I didn't know Doug at the time and didn't know he bought it. I just found that out in this post. Three pics appear on page 9 of my book, appropriately enough they are figures 1-1, 1-2 and 1-3. I don't see the number one in those pics. I also remember that was the only marking on the rifle. Paragraph 3 on p. 9 talks a little about his motivation for building the rifle. There is a little bit more about the rifle in the first paragraph on p.10.

Fireball2
Work hard work long buy the best and live to be old

I want the foremost rifle to the right.

Details?
I would like the last few at the end of this rack.

Originally Posted by FUG1899

Fireball2
Work hard work long buy the best and live to be old

And carry LOTS of money. grin grin grin I'm too stupid not to work. I could live to be 127 years old and not find that many rifles.
Originally Posted by GeneB
I would like the last few at the end of this rack.

That's not even the tip of the iceberg.
Like the Bible sells, there's a time for everything. A time to buy, and a time to sell. A time to build, and a time to tear down.
And a time to call it quits and explore the rest of the wide world of firearms!
Like the Bible sells, there's a time for everything. A time to buy, and a time to sell. A time to build, and a time to tear down.

Selling is not in my genes. Tearing down is left to tinkerbell laugh laugh laugh laugh Money is worthless unless you spend it.
And a time to call it quits and explore the rest of the wide world of firearms!

Gnoahh, A could not agree more! I shifted over to Ansley Fox and LC Smith shotguns about 6 years ago. I upland hunt 10X's the amount of time I spend deer hunting and I wanted to use what I was buying as much as possible. I'm have tons of fun hunting a lot with these guns.I'll still buy Savages if I stumble into them. I just don't chase them so much anymore.

LC Smith Crown Grade 16.

12 & 16 gauge Fox XE's

Doug Turnbull restored Fox Sterlingworth's in 20 & 16 gauge.

Oh, my. You do know how to get my undivided attention, Roger!
OK, a few more pics then. Matching, consecutively serial numbered 16 gauge Brownings' with with custom DGS5 engraving.

Fox, Late style BE's in 12 and 16 gauge.

Wow! Some beautiful shotguns you have. Think I would miss a few birds just because I was looking at them, instead of the dog. grin
As I age I find myself deer hunting less too. The tools of the trade still fascinate me but the shooting thereof is less and less. Stuff that lends itself well to a day at the range bench shooting gets my attention now. Savage 99's to me remain fascinating but I was never a collector in the strictest sense of the word- I enjoyed shooting guns as much as acquiring them- and since there are a ton of makes/models out there that surpass the 99 in that regard, that is the direction my "acquiring" shall take. Don't get me wrong, the 99 still holds a top spot on my radar, but it'll take a special one to cause my wallet to come out of my pocket anymore. A .32-40 1899H (if ever one was made) would be one such beast. Single shots, vintage Winchester bolt guns, and Springfields are the devil on my right shoulder whilst Savages are the angel on my left shoulder.

That said, it does warm my soul to see such extensive collections as what are being shown on this thread. Such collections show the results of much determination and the owners deserve all accolades. I would love to be ushered into those sanctum sanctorums and stand, hat in hand, in the presence of greatness.

Thought this was about Savage's but if you want other maybe Logger can help or

let's see??????????????????????
Yup, did not mean to hijack this thread.

All I'll say is my collecting history had had 3 distinct phases: Milsurp to Savages to Classic American Shotguns. I sold a good bit of my Milsurp to fund Savages and then the rest to get started with Shotguns. If I'm shooting a rifle, its going to be a 99 but I do most of my deer hunting in a shotgun only zone now.

We should start another thread about additional interests. I'm sure we all have something else that we could share.
Okay, work is done bothering me for a bit I think. I've got a couple of new photos to put up especially for Loggah.. well, me too. grin

Click for full sized.

This one didn't display earlier due to a typo.

Oh, I love 1895's...

The best ammo is up high..

Nice eye candy-can't believe I'm looking at a collection, not some gun shop or Savage Museum. Never see anything like that in my area, at least not talked of. Closet thing to this was a guy built his home in an area where I served as a police officer. When he built it, he built a concrete walk-in safe/vault. He collected Winchester's esp 1866-1894 lever guns with a healthy dose of Model 70's and Model 12's. Talked to a few that had seen it, was told it was eye popping of the number and condition. The guy invited me out several times, but I never took the time, wish I had. He sold off the collection some years back and retired to a normal house.
Jesus.

Christ.

(Sorry to any religious guys out there but no other expletives can describe my reaction.)
Okay, work is done bothering me for a bit I think. I've got a couple of new photos to put up especially for Loggah.. well, me too. grin

Click for full sized.

I don't believe there is one person on this forum that has EVER seen an ammunition collection of this magnitude. It is mind boggling.
Wow, what a stunning collection.Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by snowchaser61

Nice to see your interest. Good to hear from you.
grin grinYup thats what i ment by wall of ammo !!!!! grin The Savage stuff that Fug has collected is truly awesome, But like others here he has many different collections!! at least several that i know of. Walking around his backyard could take hours. He probably has one of the best Evans rifles collections going,they were built in Mechanic falls maine. Also a pretty good bunch of Winchester model 71's. One of the 71's i would have liked to have got off him if i could, he shot a moose with so i now it will "NEVER" leave maine !!!!! cry grin grin
I love it when you two guys get going. Between you both, I got caught up in a swirly I'll never escape. Thank youz.
grin Then throw in the fine savages my brother Dick has and we can keep you going in circles !!!! grin grin

Time for Dick to show up with his very fine collection
I would go with that idea as well. I live in a burning ring of fire.
Dick,Dont do pictures ,or much with his computer he does come on here and read at times!! gits him irritated when i call him "THE DICK" !!!! grin crazyI wouldn't be able to either if my wife didn't take the pictures,and put them on the computer for me !!!! Were computer dummies. blush blush
That's surreal, absolutely fantastic. Thanks for posting all of this. That collection is dedication of the first magnitude. It would take me days to walk through slack jawed and mumbling the whole way.
Those who see fugs collection,are never right in the head again !!!! grin grinSavage overload !!!! Just like when i went to the Cody museum, after a few hours i told Cheryl well lets get out of here, i coudn't absorb any more ! crazy crazy grin
He probably has one of the best Evans rifles collections going,they were built in Mechanic falls maine.

Here ya go... don't see these every day. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen them except here.

And some very nice Stevens... I think they're Stevens at least. grin

More Stevens and some gorgeous 1920's..

Winchester Low Walls and a Stevens 44 1/2 in first pic. High Walls, Remington Hepburn, and another 44 1/2 in the second one.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Winchester Low Walls and a Stevens 44 1/2 in first pic. High Walls, Remington Hepburn, and another 44 1/2 in the second one.

They's all looks alikes to me.. grin
Museum on steroids.
Thank You it's good to be here, Heading to the Barre show hopefully something will follow me home.
Originally Posted by snowchaser61

Nice to see your interest. Good to hear from you.
Savage pistols and related?? cool
I think you'll like these..

The paperwork is overwhelming. Binders and binders..

And of course... guns.

These all have long barrels, at least one 30" in the group. Fug listed them for me, but his memory is better than mine.

Some high class 99K's...

Yes I do.
One of the members here posted one of Fug's 1907 pistols, in box, w/ammo a while ago. Fabulous combo.
Worth seeing again. smile
I had a picture of the box..
The plastic one by the dupont can dont have a long barrel ! grinmore great firearms!!!!
I've never heard of or seen a Evans rifle. Very modernistic, kinda crazy, Buck Rogers sorta rifle. This collection is amazing, There aren't enough words to describe it really. The single shots alone would keep my attention for hours
It's no wonder that 95-100% Savages are hard to come by with collections like that just amazing.

I wish that when I started buying guns at 18 i had carried on ,married kids ,did not start again untill
I was 50 .

norm
..OK, I'll bite, what the heck is this one??

Fug can correct me.. but if I remember, it's a custom target pistol made by the factory created from one of their 22 rifle actions?

It's cool as [bleep].
There is so much stuff in there that was made by Savage denied by many to even exist, yet there they are right in front of your eyes. Loggah was right, see this collection once and you will never be right in the head ever again. It boggles the mind. I guess having never see the Cody Museum, I don't think I am too far off base Saying Fug is to savage as Cody is to Winchester.
Fug can correct me.. but if I remember, it's a custom target pistol made by the factory created from one of their 22 rifle actions?
It's cool as [bleep].

There are a number of "long barrel" example Savage pistols in Bailey's book.
There are examples shown with shortened 1904/5 (.22) barrels w/bolt.

Pretty high on the "cool factor" is the 1907/.380 known as the Newton/Savage pistol w/9" barrel.
Supposedly ordered by Charles Newton with barrel collaboration by Harry Pope. Whoa.....
I don't have Baily's book, nor do I know anything about Savage pistols, but I noticed it looked like the cone nose of a 1904/05 bolt.., so you shoot it with your lefty hand and rack the bolt with your right hand?

Don my serial # 1742XX it does have the check trigger and is A engraved

Rory
It is made from a 1904 22 rifle and a 32cal Pistol I have others that are made

different one has a heavy barrel one has a wooden stock
Doug, OK thats a real early special order 250-3000, where mine is in or near 1937,thanks. Don
Sorry for the disruption in postings.. temps were in the 50's, got distracted in work that needed done around the house and garage.

Supposed to be a nasty week, so postings will resume this evening. grin
Wow! Thanks for posting all these, what a collection. I think I’ve gone cross eyed from staring at all of them. 😆. Definitely appreciate you guys sharing all the history and knowledge.
And now for something completely different..

99K's..

Sweet!

Why do so many otherwise beautiful engraving jobs feature cartoon-like animals?
Nice to see again ,just beautiful!! grin
I'm blown away viewing this collection. I went over the edge at seeing this picture of all the K's. What beautiful rifles. Wood, checkering, and the engraving is tasteful, not overdone. I've never seen so many K's in one setting-heck, I've never seen a 99K in person. In my area at gunshops and guns shows, Savage 99's in any model are few and far between-you'll see them more at the bigger shows, but just here and there at the tables.
I dare say Fug has one of the largest high end ,special order, engraved savage collections in the country, if not the best in the country. When i go to visit ,i am just amazed!!! and ive been there several times and every time i feel the same way !!!! crazy crazy grin grin
Okay, back from working critical projects. Now to start the main event...

Some guns he had at Tulsa.. Love that wood and checkering!

Now for some 22HP's...

Now the drooling will begin !!!! grin grin grin

This is about the best post I've ever seen on this site......Thanks for posting all the pics Rory....

Drooling and loving it.....
Thanks to Fug for letting me share them.

It's a long, cold winter.. so hopefully nobody minds too much as I've drawn this out.
No objections whatsoever, Rory! As long as you're willing to develop negatives and print photos I'll gladly look at them!
This is why I feel at home around the 'Fire. Not so much at the 'other place'
Now the drooling will begin !!!! grin grin grin

My thighs are stuck again.
Please make it stop. cry Getting green with envy and my mind is playing tricks on me. I'm retired and now i'm thinking a part time job might be a good idea. Then more pictures and I think a full-time job could be a better idea. Wondering if I really need to have a beer once and a while, maybe just pasta and ketchup. I'm losing it, need more money for more rifles, and a safe to put them in. laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by SS336
Please make it stop. cry Getting green with envy and my mind is playing tricks on me. I'm retired and now i'm thinking a part time job might be a good idea. Then more pictures and I think a full-time job could be a better idea. Wondering if I really need to have a beer once and a while, maybe just pasta and ketchup. I'm losing it, need more money for more rifles, and a safe to put them in. laugh laugh laugh

Your not my long lost twin are you? I've heard twins have the same thoughts at the same time?
Good Lord!
What a magnificent collection of fine rifles.
Looks like I WILL be in Tulsa next year. It's always been on my bucket list, and now it just moved near the top!
Thank you for sharing such a stunning collection......
Believe it or not it gets "BETTER"!!! grin grin grin
A engraving..

A2 engraving..

B engraving..

C engraving..

Wish this picture had come out better..

E engraving on top
F engraving in the middle
And I'm not sure on the thrid.. it's not a G or anything else as pictured in the catalogs. Custom B engraving with moose rather than deer? Fug?

All three are gorgeous!

Well thats it!! everyone is speechless!!!! grin grin Thats usually the way i feel when i see Fugs wonderfull collection.
Yep.. there's so many things in there that you never see in person that your head is just flopping back and forth trying to take everything in. You eyes just glaze over after a while. grin

Carved stocks? Oh my..
1895, 1899 and MHG muskets? Oh wow..
Engraved guns of all styles.. Ammo of all styles.. Ammo cans.. sights.. ads/catalogs/advertising memorabilia.. guns that are new in the box... Special order guns.. high grade guns of all models..

He's put together an amazing collection.
I can't even begin to imagine the work hours that went into chasing these down. The unimaginable part of it to me is that much of what he has put together has actually chased HIM down. One thing I have learned basically from him is that when you see it, step up to the plate and be ready to pay the long dollar. He can keep you spell bound for hours with his stories.
What LBK said. If you see it and want it and have the money get it. I've missed more than my share by hesitating and coming back too late. Like the Ziggie Rentzke engraved 99F I went back for later! GONE!!!!!!
But I've got one now. When I through fighting this blankity blank snow I post pics.
What LBK said. If you see it and want it and have the money get it. I've missed more than my share by hesitating and coming back too late. Like the Ziggie Rentzke engraved 99F I went back for later! GONE!!!!!!
But I've got one now. When I through fighting this blankity blank snow I post pics.
Rory, it's really hard to get the lighting right on multiple guns in one photo. Some of the photos of multiple rifles in my book were taken separately and then photo shopped into one photo.
What's all this "blankity blank bulls h i t? Call a spade a spade, not a f u c k i n' shovel. laugh laugh laugh
LBK, I thought we had to be politically correct on this forum.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
LBK, I thought we had to be politically correct on this forum.

You got me there. I can't think of a come back. HOWEVER, I am what I am, I say what I want. And I DO call a spade a spade. Wait a minute, I think that WAS a comeback. laugh laugh laugh
Got more pictures to post, I believe, but the weekend has been a total wreck. Hope to get back to it the next day or two.
It must have been the moon. I share your thoughts.
How about some extremely rare Savage advertising?

Posted By: ctw Re: Who wants pictures from Maine? - 02/13/20
I like the large sign
When did they stop using savage repeating arms?
Originally Posted by ctw
I like the large sign
When did they stop using savage repeating arms?

The dates on the sign would seem to indicate it dates to right after WW2. If I remember, a collector had it made - Fug can correct me here.. The screaming Indian is hand painted and very well done.

Savage Repeating Arms became Savage Arms Corporation in late 1897 when they re-incorporated.

The word "Repeating" was dropped from the barrel address with the introduction of the 1899.
Closeup from 2007 SavageFest... I absolutely love stippled receivers.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]
I do Too. They just look a little more dressed up and classy
I actually have the same original savage metal sign with elk my son Mike got given to him when at a bachelor party in a bar room in Oregon. The owner gave him a screw gun to remove from a bathroom wall no charge. I also have a repro of the same sign slightly different dimensions. Fug said it was the real deal. Pretty good score
A very impressive ammo collection..

Never seen you guys so quiet.. no questions? Comments? Requests for info?
I have seen these MANY times and it never gets old. Every single time I get to go in there, I see something else. Almost every time he shows me something I never knew existed. There is more Savage information under his roof that the Savage plant has in their data base and I would almost guarantee that. I have been quiet because I just saw it. I've been outside breaking ice and shoveling snow.
A very impressive ammo collection..

Check out the sealed case of .284 and that is one of several as I recall. I believe Fug is in Florida right now.
Yeah, I noticed the case of 284.. no wonder it's so hard to find! grin

Actually I have more brass than I'll ever use up.
Quiet cause internet has been interrupted around here lately? Maybe minus 21*F did it?
Anyway, GREAT pictures. Shows what could be out there (unless its all in pics...) for those looking.
Thanks.
The whole collection is amazing. What else can you say. I'm in awe and dumfounded. My ammo closet used to give me some comfort, now I know I'm a piker.

Look close to the ammo wall you are not seeing the rare stuff or no one has said anything about it

Doug

In the photo with the cases of ammo 308-284-25-20 and more their is on the far right an original case for the Lewis Machine Gun
I Thought that was in your living room . going to Lebanon tomorrow ?
I've only ever seen John's Lewis machinegun box, I have to admit I wouldn't have identified that one. And you probably pointed it out to me.. there's just too much to absorb.

The rooms are full of rare stuff, so I'm not sure what to point out as more rare than other stuff. Heck, you have a lot of stuff I don't even know exists... grin

Savage ammo cases are definitely rare.
I've only ever seen John's Lewis machinegun box, I have to admit I wouldn't have identified that one. And you probably pointed it out to me.. there's just too much to absorb.

The rooms are full of rare stuff, so I'm not sure what to point out as more rare than other stuff. Heck, you have a lot of stuff I don't even know exists... grin

Savage ammo cases are definitely rare.

I am really happy to hear you say that there may be stuff there that there is stuff there that is tough on you to remember. How the hell do you think I feel. I remember my first visit to loggah's. Then to fug's. Between the two of them i have been touched in the head.
More guns..

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]

"Look close to the ammo wall you are not seeing the rare stuff "

I can't blow the photo up enough to make out the details.

I like that row of 2 piece Savage boxes back a few pages.

Just the sheer number of boxes is hard to grasp.
I don't even know enough to know what I don't know about Savage rifles.., but, It's hard for me to imagine there being any more complete a collection of Savage firearms, history, ammunition, advertising, ANYWHERE, EVER!!..., and now you're showing us snapshots of your OTHER pristine firearms collections!?!

FUG, There might be a few amazing Savage guns that You don't already own, like the 5,or 6 still in the factory showcase,...maybe,... but, You are a one-man Savage firearms historic preservation museum!! No one ever could have imagined it could all be seen in one place.., except YOU!

Thank You again, for sharing these pictures, just amazing!

What happened to the photos of Loggah

In the lower left corner of the ammo wall you can see a unopened late 40’s or early 50’s case of 250-3000 Savage ammo
I must have broke the internet !!!! blush blush grin

I think the 24hourcampfire server had a hiccup yesterday afternoon/evening.
Couldn't get the Savage forum to come up for a while and when it did I noticed some missing posts on other threads as well.
I must have broke the internet !!!! blush blush grin

I can fix that. You posted something to the effect that you saw more of Fug's guns here on this post that you do when you visit. The reason is that there is a ton of BS'ing going on. And then I posted posted these pictures of you at your best.

Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

I think the 24hourcampfire server had a hiccup yesterday afternoon/evening.
Couldn't get the Savage forum to come up for a while and when it did I noticed some missing posts on other threads as well.

Weird. It appears that ~anything posted on 2/16 vaporized into thin air. Maybe??
I noticed some replies that were present had disappeared.
And an entire post of this book.... Rick99, any clues what the heck happened?

Originally Posted by Rick99
"Look close to the ammo wall you are not seeing the rare stuff "

I can't blow the photo up enough to make out the details.

I like that row of 2 piece Savage boxes back a few pages.

Just the sheer number of boxes is hard to grasp.

Same, also neat to see the Savage brand bullet boxes a few pages back next to the boxed TD, beyond all of the other great stuff.
I found this posted to the Webmaster last evening by a member...

"The website went completely down for several hours this afternoon/evening. It just came back up. Every single post I made today, and every single PM I had today are now ‘gone’. Are they gonna show back up...?"

There was no reply from the Webmaster.
Sounds like it crashed pretty hard. I imagine he reloaded from the last backup so what's lost is prolly lost for good.

Not many questions well I have one what the heck is LOGGAH EATING Fireballs thinks he’s eating ice cream I think not

I think he is eating blueberry shortcake with homemade red,white an blue whipped cream What say you Loggah

To the left of Loggah is a thing with a long tube it’s a Savage crop duster also is a stainless Savage washer dryer on the floor

is a Savage commercial iron
Fug, I say you are probably right !!!!! grin Anytime i ate at your home it,was like having a gourmet chef there. Unbelievable cook.Like i said i have seen more on these pictures then i was over visiting !!!!! laugh laugh more time to study them.
Posted By: DGF Re: Who wants pictures from Maine? - 02/18/20
I’m not sure,but I THINK that is Loggah’s brother “the Dick” in the second picture of Don eatin his desert
.He’s in the back with brown shorts on.Hope all is well DON,FUG and DICK.

Not many questions well I have one what the heck is LOGGAH EATING Fireballs thinks he’s eating ice cream I think not

I think he is eating blueberry shortcake with homemade red,white an blue whipped cream What say you Loggah

To the left of Loggah is a thing with a long tube it’s a Savage crop duster also is a stainless Savage washer dryer on the floor

is a Savage commercial iron

Look at that Loggah, lookin like the cat that snuck into the mouse factory! I'd not want to be the guy trying to take it away from him whatever it is! blush grin
I rember that day Well! Great Day, Guns, Fine food and Friends! im in the back of the 1st Pic of Don, in the Black tee, looking into an Old safe!
That was a great day of visiting with a great group! grin DGF and John all are pretty well here. And yes no body wants to try and get food out of my plate !!!!! blush mad madI would gladly give it if asked ,but taking might give poor results . whistle
"To the left of Loggah is a thing with a long tube it’s a Savage crop duster also is a stainless Savage washer dryer on the floor

is a Savage commercial iron"

I noticed the iron but didn't focus on the duster till I looked for it. Both of those are new to me. And what a group of mowers!

I am still looking for the ride on lawnmower I have most of the push type any one have one to sell ??????

Also I have most of the contracts the were written for Savage to buy the lawnmower company.
A "Savage crop duster"????

That's a new one.. always stuff to learn!
DGF that is me . the DICK . I think that is when I got the SAVAGE FEVER and it has cost me several THOUSANDS no regrets .bring some more savages east still have room and a little $
Posted By: DGF Re: Who wants pictures from Maine? - 02/18/20
Good to hear from u. I think you bought a Winchester mod 70 in 250 from me also,as well as savage 99’s . I noticed ur big brother accumulated 8 or 10 more win 94 carbines. Saw them in the pictures. If he wants to sell some,maybe I can take a trip. Take care,Doug. Ps still got those Indian cycles?
Welcome to the group Dick. What took you so long?
And the last of them.. Might have a couple repeats - but I don't mind seeing them again. grin

On the Roy Chapman Andrews poster I can't make out any checkering on the forearm of the top rifle. Can you tell if that is a T or an RT? Any idea on the date of the poster?
It's a 99T. I don't know of any Savage publication showing the 99RT - which is a major part of the confusion about it. grin

I'd think it would date to 1935/1936.

The Roy Chapman Andrews poster was done at the start of the T's

He was never in the Gobi Desert at the time of the poster

For anyone who likes Winchester 1903 and 63's these are all as new with four engraved one gold washed
His Gobi desert expeditions were from 1922 to 1930. He's holding a model 40 in that poster, but he went on the expeditions with 1920's.

Nice pic showing a 1920 here on his third asiatic expedition:

https://roychapmanandrewssociety.org/roy-chapman-andrews/
They are beautiful, Fug, absolutely beautiful. The second and sixth ones down really are just perfect.
His Gobi desert expeditions were from 1922 to 1930. He's holding a model 40 in that poster

You sure about that. I'll bet tomorrow's lunch that's a M1920. Look at the trigger guard and receiver and length of fore arm and compare to a M40.
Well, I understand your point - the schnabel tip is really slender for a 40. But pretty sure I can see a magazine. Here’s a model 40.

The marketing department in 1935 likely did some creative manipulation to turn an earlier picture with a 1920 in it into a model 40 that they had for sale. Advertising a gun that’d been discontinued 7 years earlier would be bad marketing.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

This one looks... familiar. And that’s definitely a 1920.

[Linked Image from ]
You sure about that. I'll bet tomorrow's lunch that's a M1920. Look at the trigger guard and receiver and length of fore arm and compare to a M40.

How’s Thai food sound? grin
Spectacular string.
Spectacular photos.
Spectacular bunch of contributors, that appear to be some real characters.
Thank you!

How’s Thai food sound? grin
Look close, the picture shows the stock relieved for a removable magazine so the picture was tweaked a little … so technically it pictures features of both and depending how you look at it your either both right or both wrong.....
Originally Posted by GeneB
[Look close, the picture shows the stock relieved for a removable magazine so the picture was tweaked a little … so technically it pictures features of both and depending how you look at it your either both right or both wrong.....

Ramp front sight and removable magazine.. I definitely claim to be the mostest right. 75/25 maybe.. grin
So, we both spring for our own meal! I submit that possibly/probably the artist who prepared the lithograph stone for the poster from that photograph did indeed take some liberties with the rifle. Probably a guy who hunted deer with a M40 and was peeved that Andrews carried a 1920. grin

My Chrone's is acting up, so Thai is out. How's about oatmeal instead? grin
How about a picture OF Maine? Actually the National Sportsman's Show 1897 at MSG.
btw - it's pronounced "oh-ka-sock"

My Chrone's is acting up, so Thai is out. How's about oatmeal instead? grin

Watch out! It'll try to stare you down...
Pic

Attached picture 57D95C8E-5C28-41E3-9B10-B3B8174846C9.jpeg
Winchester test gun

Attached picture 024110A3-A3D4-401A-9B64-CF13D84C8F1B.jpeg

Description: Winchester test gun
Attached picture FDB1DF97-1452-43FC-A485-42677CBACDE2.jpeg
219-357

Attached picture 713B8E02-B483-4902-926E-324DAAB48F7C.jpeg
A lot of variation in those bayonets, which seems odd to me. Wonder who made them for Savage?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Blood groove...

Is it that some have a longer blood groove or is it that the top of the blade is edged farther back? Top two vs bottom two.

All great photos! grin
A lot of variation in those bayonets, which seems odd to me. Wonder who made them for Savage?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice going Fug. Nice pics you posted. laugh laugh laugh

The blood grove is the same the ridge above the grove is cut back 1.5" more on the top 2 witch

allowed for a faster blood flow also the handle on the top one is metal not wood I have seen one

in a rubber type also

The 303 is a Savage test gun for Winchester ammo the chamber was measured for exact

shell size
Here's another thread that had me in amazement last winter. I don't know how many times I viewed all the pictures. Going through them again and reading the posts was pure pleasure. Reposting as I did the other thread of pictures so any new members can enjoy. Just can't believe.....what wonderful toys!
2020 has been a suckful year. Thanks for bringing this back around. My opinion is 2021 won't be a sh it load better.
© 24hourcampfire