Home
Posted By: Loggah K question - 02/03/20
I know that most models during the late 20's-30's were stamped with the model on the front of the receiver. Does anyone have any K's that are not marked K on the front? thanks . Don
Posted By: Calhoun Re: K question - 02/03/20
They should all be in that range that are stamped with models, and I know we've seen a couple with the Mountie stamp - so somebody looked.

Who has that solid frame 99K now? Was it stamped? I'm sure somebody looked... grin
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: K question - 02/03/20
I have the solid frame K and when I get home from work I will check it . I thought I already had and the it is stamped K. There are 3 letters on that rifle and I think I have all 3. The first 2 only mention that it letters as a K. When I sent for a letter, I sent JTC a wad of pictures and he viewed the rifle in person. All numbers match on the gun, No mention in the letter to confirm the solid part, however there was a work order 6 months after shipping stating it was returned to the factory for unspecified work.
Posted By: Loggah Re: K question - 02/03/20
The reason i ask about the K is in the early 30's savage listed extras,such as A5 checkering,and engraving like the K models had. Technically if you had a G with nice wood , you could end up with a K looking rifle. confused grin And all work done at savage you could call it a K, maybe. confused
Aaah.... Well.. from 1931:

- 99G $49.50
- Fancy american walnut - $5
- Checkering, grade A-5 - $8.50
- Engraving as K - $12
---------------------
- Total $75.00

- 99K - $80

Then the sights...

So I suppose if somebody wanted a 99K like gun, they could save a dollar or two and dress up a 99G. For a K with "normal" wood it might be a good thing to check, if they skipped the fancy American walnut.
I may be wrong, but I have ALWAYS believed a K was nothing more than an engraved G.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I may be wrong, but I have ALWAYS believed a K was nothing more than an engraved G.

Pretty much, except the action is stoned smooth. That's not an option that's listed separately.

But then almost all the named grade 1899's were just base models with certain features added. You could order an 1899A with the same exact options as a Leader Grade or CD had.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: K question - 02/03/20
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Pretty much, except the action is stoned smooth. That's not an option that's listed separately.

But then almost all the named grade 1899's were just base models with certain features added. You could order an 1899A with the same exact options as a Leader Grade or CD had.

Wonder if they polished the triggers.
The triggers on the ones i have a pretty nice.
That's interesting Don. Would you say they are better than the standard run 1899s or 99's?
I would say they were a bit better,smooth with less creep.I haven't taken any K's apart to check,but im sure they spent more time on the trigger sears,instead of just putting parts together.
Some of the sears I've looked at had lines across them that would really *chatter* as the trigger was pulled, unless they were polished out.
Posted By: S99VG Re: K question - 02/03/20
Across the board it seems to me that the triggers on prewar 99s are all better than the post war guns.
All 3 are marked K on the front of the receiver. I have shot almost all of mine and I honestly don't recall any of them having a trigger I couldn't squeeze.
Posted By: Loggah Re: K question - 02/04/20
Heres a couple of pictures of the custom "K" i have,it does not have a K stamp on the receiver but letters as a special K made in 1931.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

It has a very tightly wrapped lever and pistol grip,cheekpiece, 1" longer buttstock than standard, and trap door buttplate.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: K question - 02/05/20
That’s cool! Any idea who the original owner was?
Posted By: JeffG Re: K question - 02/05/20
How about that closer curve in the lever? Even the lever curve could be custom ordered??
Posted By: Savage94C Re: K question - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by JeffG
How about that closer curve in the lever? Even the lever curve could be custom ordered??

I've never seen a 99 with that style of lever. Was that a custom order for K's only?

While I'm here, after looking at all of the K's from the thread 'Pictures From Maine", I got curious about the going price for K's. Looked on Guns International and Gunbroker. Seems the asking price for the majority of K's being offered for sale was in the $3000 to $5000 range. There was one even hitting around $6000. Is this the average price or just gun auction pricing. Are private sales cheaper or do they mimic the online prices? Not that I'm all hot to get one, but just curious. Nice looking 99K in the above pictures.
Posted By: Loggah Re: K question - 02/05/20
This is the only savage 99 i have seen with this tight curved lever and pistol grip, there is no number on the buttstock because of the trap door buttplate. The forearm is numbered to the rifle and the wood from the forearm and buttstock have the identical grain.

Heres a few more pictures of the barrel and buttplate. I dont know who JJ is but his initials on the barrel means he had something to do with this rifle.

I will tell you the trigger is great,being 6'3" the rifle fits me perfectly, and it is a tack driver. In a weak moment i sold this to Saddlering but we did some swapping and i got it back. Aint going anywhere now !!!! grin grin
As far as "K" prices i know that $3000 is the economy price, I would say $4000-$5000 is the normal price for high condition K prices. A K in 22 HP who knows $$. Don
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: K question - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by Loggah
Heres a couple of pictures of the custom "K" i have,it does not have a K stamp on the receiver but letters as a special K made in 1931.

It has a very tightly wrapped lever and pistol grip,cheekpiece, 1" longer buttstock than standard, and trap door buttplate.

When I was looking for a K you offered it to me. Like the idiot that I am, I passed. On the flip side, if I hadn't I wouldn't have ended up with the one I got at that time. It STILL makes me drool.
Hey "OLD COOT" it has a lot to many extra holes in it for you !!!!! grin actually i think im going to put the redfield 102l base on it and put the rest of the sight in the butt, just in case the weaver goes DEMOCRAT !!!!! grin grin
That 1899A T/D I bought a few years ago had EIGHT extra holes and I only spotted 4. You pointed out the extras. Sometimes I don't engage more than ONE sense at any given time. I need to keep working on that.
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: K question - 02/05/20
Don
I can tell you how much a K in 22H.P. cost LOTS
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: K question - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Don
I can tell you how much a K in 22H.P. cost LOTS

Sooo, that means if I sell my whole collection, I'll have about half of what would be needed for a 22HP K? Do I take the forearm and barrel, or the action and butt stock?
Posted By: SS336 Re: K question - 02/05/20
Wow, that's nice. Really like the trapdoor buttplate. That's a beautiful and unique rifle. The lever does look a little odd. Does it shorten the stroke when working the action? Wondering why it was ordered that way.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: K question - 02/05/20
You fellas know more about it than I ever will, but what makes anyone think it's a factory buttstock?
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You fellas know more about it than I ever will, but what makes anyone think it's a factory buttstock?

From one of Loggah's earlier posts.

"Here's a couple of pictures of the custom "K" i have,it does not have a K stamp on the receiver but letters as a special K made in 1931."
Roy, The wood grain absolutely matches the numbered forearm. It has a lot of "EXTRAs, that could be done in the savage custom shop. The lever had to be formed before it was case hardened,if anyone tried to reform it after hardening it would break!!!! ask me how i know?? crazy crazyI have had a number of people smarter then myself also ,and we all agree as a factory custom. The lever is about the same shape as a win 88. The letter does state a special K but does not state anything different. Don
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: K question - 02/05/20
Sorry I missed those details. Struggling with the flu and my pencil ain't real sharp right now. Those are very interesting details too.
Roy, If you cant get rid of that flue quickly, go to a few DEMONCRAT meetings and spread it around !!!!! grin grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: K question - 02/05/20
Paid $3600 a few months ago for a pretty nice 250-3000 K. 24" barrel, all matching,etc. I posted pics at the time I got it. That's a really interesting rifle Don.
Posted By: Savage94C Re: K question - 02/06/20
Originally Posted by Loggah
Roy, If you cant get rid of that flue quickly, go to a few DEMONCRAT meetings and spread it around !!!!! grin grin

If you have that Chinese strain, go to Wash DC and spread it around the House and Senate Dem members. They'd be quarantined for a while and then maybe Congress can get done what they are suppose to do for America instead of the last couple months of the impeachment nonsense. Just sayin'! grin

Originally Posted by wyo1895
Paid $3600 a few months ago for a pretty nice 250-3000 K. 24" barrel, all matching,etc. I posted pics at the time I got it. That's a really interesting rifle Don.

David-In all of your research for your book and all, have you ever seen a lever like the K in this thread? That is one nice lookin rifle, beautiful wood and lines. The more I read your book, the more I realize what a good investment I made. Besides reading posts on this forum and reading your book, I've increased my Savage 99 knowledge by leaps and bounds from what it was several years ago and that was just basic knowledge that they existed and a bit of history. I recall you posting the pictures of your K, I'll have to go back in the pages and take another look.

After viewing all these Savage 99's in Fugs, Loggah's, and Fireball 2's collections, not to mention some of ya who may have similar or large collections, I can see why I never see many 99's around my Midwestern area, they're all hid away in an unknown number of large collections. Nice to see the pictures, high fives to ya all. grin grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: K question - 02/06/20
That lever and pistol grip are new ones to me. But then something new is always turning up. Glad you like the book.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: K question - 02/06/20
Originally Posted by Savage94C

After viewing all these Savage 99's in Fugs, Loggah's, and Fireball 2's collections,

You've confused me with the real collectors. I am not.
Posted By: Savage94C Re: K question - 02/06/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Savage94C

After viewing all these Savage 99's in Fugs, Loggah's, and Fireball 2's collections,

You've confused me with the real collectors. I am not.

Waall', forgive me if I attributed ya to something you don't believe you are apart of, but I was pretty impressed with yours when ya showed some safe pictures and such. Glad I was able to get one of yours.
smile
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: K question - 02/07/20
none of my Ks have the k stamp
Posted By: Loggah Re: K question - 02/07/20
"OH BROTHER" !!!!! grin grin Thats it this place wont be the same. I was going to see if Cheryl would take pictures of your collection to post,you got better guns then i have. grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: K question - 02/08/20
both of mine have the K stamp. They are both early production. Serial #'s 298xxx and 309xxx.
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: K question - 02/08/20
headed to Vermont gun show with Mike leaving early trying to beat LBK LOL picked up 300 G today with mp marking on barrel ?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: K question - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by topnotch99
headed to Vermont gun show with Mike leaving early trying to beat LBK LOL picked up 300 G today with mp marking on barrel ?

Welcome to the campfire!!

There’s a serial number range where every model of 99 has the MP stamp. Somebody seems to have gotten carried away stamping barrels during that range.
© 24hourcampfire