Home
Posted By: CRF75 Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/27/20
To those of you that own one you know just how special this mount is as it allow us to have the advantages of a scoped rifle without Drilling and Tapping and therefore diminishing the value of our 99s. The workmanship is top notch and the installation can be done by most of us with the detailed instructions that Mr. Watson provides. Thanks Mr. Watson for your assistance and for manufacturing such a great product.

Must add that he does this in addition to providing advice and his expertise on most all aspects of the Savage 99s
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/27/20
As I have said before, at some point I think his mount deserves attention in the history of the 99. Think about it, 50 some odd years from now guys will be coming across Lightfoot's mount and asking the same questions we do today. Where in the heck did this thing come from. It is an important apparatus in the in the book of 99.
Posted By: dallased Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/27/20
But there is a downside. Once you have one then you are searching for another suitable M99 to put another one on. The darn things are so nice that now I have to get another mount and in order to do that I have to buy another rifle. How is that a good thing?
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/28/20
I feel the Lightfoot mount blends with the form of the 99 in a way no other mount does for any other rifle. mine is on a 1951 eg 300 that every one I show my pitiful collection to, heads for first. I totally concur that it should be enshrined in the 99 story.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/28/20
Lightfoot and his mount will no doubt hold a place in the Savage 99 Hall of Fame grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/28/20
Maybe I can sneak a lightfoot mount in my next book by showing one on an engraved Savage 99K or something.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/28/20
Another notable Lightfoot gizmo is the split rear ring for Stith mounts which enable one to use modern optics. I have Leupold 1.5x5-20 glass on my 3 99s with Stith mounts. I Did tho make longer front tubes to accommodate the shorter Leupold scopes. Don't have to worry bout scope fogging up when a deer cuts a wet fart within 50 yards anymore. laugh
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/28/20
Originally Posted by oldotter
Another notable Lightfoot gizmo is the split rear ring for Stith mounts which enable one to use modern optics. I have Leupold 1.5x5-20 glass on my 3 99s with Stith mounts. I Did tho make longer front tubes to accommodate the shorter Leupold scopes. Don't have to worry bout scope fogging up when a deer cuts a wet fart within 50 yards anymore. laugh

I’d be interested in reading about how you made the “wet deer fart proof” front tube.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/28/20
I would like to know how he quantitatively measured the effects of a wet deer fart.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/28/20
I had assumed it was empirical research. In other words you would have to had got yourself within range of a wet deer fart in order to observe and record its ballistics. Based on that data, one could move on to calculate the optimal length of the Stith tube. And we haven't even yet began to talk about field testing.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I would like to know how he quantitatively measured the effects of a wet deer fart.

Originally Posted by S99VG
I had assumed it was empirical research. In other words you would have to had got yourself within range of a wet deer fart in order to observe and record its ballistics. Based on that data, one could move on to calculate the optimal length of the Stith tube. And we haven't even yet began to talk about field testing.

The data is proprietary. Not at liberty to divulge the nano science which enabled me to come to that conclusion. wink whistle

Actually, I flat out stole that quote from David E. Petzel in a Field and Stream article. Someone was asking him what old period correct scope he would recommend for his old rifle. He said he wouldn't' recommend any of em. For stolen quote reason, and a couple more, which escape me at the moment.
[/quote]I’d be interested in reading about how you made the “wet deer fart proof” front tube.[/quote]

The longer tube didn't make the scope "wet fart proof". I made the longer front tube to accommodate the shorter Leupold scope better, which where the "wet fart proof" characteristics come from. I have access to a lathe, and duplicated original tube, with additional lenght so the leupold would have approximately same length of front tube support, shortening the counter bore for a positive stop when seating the scope like the originals were with the Weavers.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/28/20
Petzel can turn a phrase. you'd think he was a campfire member.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/29/20
How did we turn a thread about a great mount into a thread about farts?

Damn....
Posted By: oldotter Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/29/20
Originally Posted by 99guy
How did we turn a thread about a great mount into a thread about farts?

Damn....

How long have you been a campfire member? This is par for the coarse. grin
My original response was highlighting the sweet rear split ring for Stith mounts marketed be Mr. Lightfoot. But it was an entertaining sidetrack, wasn't it. Where else can you be giving accolades about a nice invention and wet farts in the same post.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/29/20
You guys crack me up laugh
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/29/20
Originally Posted by oldotter
[/quote]I’d be interested in reading about how you made the “wet deer fart proof” front tube.

The longer tube didn't make the scope "wet fart proof". I made the longer front tube to accommodate the shorter Leupold scope better, which where the "wet fart proof" characteristics come from. I have access to a lathe, and duplicated original tube, with additional lenght so the leupold would have approximately same length of front tube support, shortening the counter bore for a positive stop when seating the scope like the originals were with the Weavers.
[/quote]

Actually that's the info I was looking for. Did you turn the entire tube from a piece of bar stock?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/29/20
Oh, I bet a "bar" had something to do with it!

I do so like the idea of Mike's mount being recorded in a book for posterity. A couple accompanying pics of the cottage industrialist at work should be included too, methinks.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 02/29/20
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Maybe I can sneak a lightfoot mount in my next book by showing one on an engraved Savage 99K or something.

Maybe we ought to chip in and get one of his mounts engraved for this proposition!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/01/20
now that is a really cool idea! I would gladly pay the extra for an engraved Lightfoot mount
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/01/20
now that is a really cool idea! I would gladly pay the extra for an engraved Lightfoot mount

I would contribute to the cause. Maybe you could throw in an honorable mention to those on the forum willing to kick in. Any idea of who could do the work and cost?
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by S99VG

Maybe we ought to chip in and get one of his mounts engraved for this proposition!

I had a similar thought but mine was a little more selfish. thought of having one engraved for my own use.
but would chip in for one for posterity.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/01/20
https://thegunengraver.com/
Nice stuff!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/01/20
Thanks Joe, will come with a pic of a Lightfoot mount and send it to him to see if he will engrave it.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/01/20
Well, keep me tuned in. I have a feeling I will play a role here eventually. grin
Originally Posted by deerstalker
I had a similar thought but mine was a little more selfish. thought of having one engraved for my own use.

Do it and report back. (committee type things have a way of going awry)

Bear in mind;
- there is not a lot of real estate to deal with
- most of the real estate is small and/or hidden when mounted with a scope
- it'll double the cost of a mount
So it sounds like the book will need some good close up shots. If nothing else happens then that alone could be a good way to document the provenance of the Lightfoot Mount.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/01/20
Mike has cemented his legacy on this earth with his Savage scope mount. Very nice work Mike.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/02/20
I am truly humbled. blush
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/02/20
Yes, most humble men are.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/02/20
Mike , correct me if I am wrong but the mount would have to be soft and white for the engraving would it not?
Mike , correct me if I am wrong but the mount would have to be soft and white for the engraving would it not?

Sorry to cut in, but,..
Soft and white would be preferred. Usually brand new production.
It is not uncommon for an engraver to get a finished piece, remove blue, engrave & re-blue. The typical process.
But get that from the engraver.
Posted By: vabeachman Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/03/20
Just got mine. Looks like a real nice quality scope mount.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/03/20
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Sorry to cut in, but,..
Soft and white would be preferred. Usually brand new production.
It is not uncommon for an engraver to get a finished piece, remove blue, engrave & re-blue. The typical process.
But get that from the engraver.

cut in! cut in! I will take information from anyone! it is all gold.
that's what I seemed to remember, having watched a few at large gun shows. I always wanted to try my hand at it but kept so busy cutting lines in wood I never got around to metal except for checkering a few bolt nobs.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/03/20
Yes, I'm assuming in the white and not finely polished. Working with David on one.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/03/20
you going to let us cretins pitch in? maybe David could call it the Lightfoot campfire special edition grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/03/20
Everyone is welcome. I need all the input I can get for the new book. I'll post an outline later today.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/20
How about something with a classic pattern that also says Savage Collectors 2020? Of course the maker needs to get his mark in there too.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/20
posted the outline and some pics in another post this morning. I quit working on it last night after I heard about the loss of a close family member who passed away yesterday afternoon.
Posting pics here is getting to be a real PITA due to the limitation of 2 MB. The local computer GURU said using GIMP was the only way with my Apple. Gimp requires a whole bunch of steps for each pic.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/20
Sorry for your loss
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/20
Prayers sent for you and the family.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/20
Thanks guys, she was my Mother's youngest brother's widow. We stayed with her sometimes when we went to Ocala to visit. Really nice lady, Merris and I are really going to miss her.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/20
Thoughts for you and the wife David.
Mike,
Curious,... any idea how many Lightfoot mounts you have produced to date?
How many sizes have you dealt with?
Do you currently mark them in any way?

Without getting too carried away a custom metal stamp costs ~$50. (McMaster Carr, custom stamps)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/20
I'm up to 256 now. Never have marked them or given much thought to it. I keep a detailed spreadsheet on them though.

I wanted to make a 'one size fits all' mount but the early guns have the rear sight dovetail all over the place. Above 200K the sight location is fairly consistent so there is a bit of a standard. I like to get the measurement on everything though because every once in a while there is an oddball.

I've made them for every model made I believe.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I wanted to make a 'one size fits all' mount but the early guns have the rear sight dovetail all over the place.

Yea, I guess SRC's have different dovetail lengths, as do long rifles, but good things sorta stabilize from there.
So not exactly custom per rifle, but, 4 or 5 lengths potentially.
Doesn't sound like the mounts can/should be moved rifle to rifle. Unless same specs. ??
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/05/20
I have moved them around some but just on the post WWI rifles.
Posted By: roadking95 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/25/20
I just joined the Forum....better late than never! I have an old (1960's) Weaver K6-V8 scope and rings that I'd like to mount on a 1954 production Savage 99- EG in 300 Savage. Will the Lightfoot base that I've read so much about work in this application? If so, how can I contact you for next steps? Thanks!
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/25/20
It should as the mount fits the screw holes in the tang and the dovetail for the rear sight. But the man should tell you himself, Send him a PM. And welcome to the forum.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by roadking95
I just joined the Forum....better late than never! I have an old (1960's) Weaver K6-V8 scope and rings that I'd like to mount on a 1954 production Savage 99- EG in 300 Savage. Will the Lightfoot base that I've read so much about work in this application? If so, how can I contact you for next steps? Thanks!

First I need to know which scope you have. Is it a K6 or V8? You can't merge the two.

The V8 has no internal adjustments and must be used with the Weaver adjustable rings. it won't fit my mount.

The K6 is fixed power with internal adjustments. Perfect match with the mount and an old Savage.

Give me your email in a PM and I can send details.
Posted By: OntarioJay Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/25/20
I'm a new member, so I can't send a private message. However I have a 1953 Model 99. I inherited the gun and would love to use it. The idea of a scope without drilling sounds great to me, I'm completely new and don't have a preference, other than it functions well to hunt white tail in cold, rugged terrain (northern Ontario).

Anyway I don't know what my options are limited to or how your system would even work, I'm completely inexperienced here, so suggestions are welcome. Plus from the reviews it sounds like I'd love a Lightfoot mount. I guess the K4 sees like a good bet but I think I might like the Leupolds as well.

Thanks.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/25/20
Welcome to the site, Mike (Lightfoot) will contact you shortly. I didn't think there was a post limit before you can send a PM. If you click on Lightfoot in one of the post above you should be able to send him a message. Or, if there is a little envelope in the top right corner by your name, you should be able to send a PM from there. But, I've been wrong before.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/25/20
Here's how it works on pre-1960 Savage 99's. The rear screws into the two existing tang screw holes, and the front slides into the rear sight dovetail and locks down with a tightening screw. Then you can mount any rings and scopes you like.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
When I try to send a PM it says private messages are disabled for my current member level. Thanks for the welcome though, look forward to hearing from Mike.
So you have to remove the rear sight? I'm not the most handy, hopefully I don't screw it up too bad...
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by OntarioJay
When I try to send a PM it says private messages are disabled for my current member level. Thanks for the welcome though, look forward to hearing from Mike.

I tried to send you a PM and also got blocked. I guess the moderator has to OK your credentials??
Posted By: 99guy Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/26/20
There has been talk of a 20 post min before being able to PM

Precipitated by low life piece of chit scum bag scammers in the classifieds.
Posted By: roadking95 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/26/20
Unfortunately, as a new member, I am not allowed to send private messages yet because I haven't achieved some minimum level of participation... I don't know why. In any case, I'm open to any suggestion that would allow me to get in touch with you directly about the scope mount. Perhaps you can send a private message to me? PS - The original box that came with a scope says K6- V8 in a circle, and under it it says 60-B1. I don't know if that helps or simply adds more confusion! Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by roadking95
Unfortunately, as a new member, I am not allowed to send private messages yet because I haven't achieved some minimum level of participation... I don't know why. In any case, I'm open to any suggestion that would allow me to get in touch with you directly about the scope mount. Perhaps you can send a private message to me? PS - The original box that came with a scope says K6- V8 in a circle, and under it it says 60-B1. I don't know if that helps or simply adds more confusion! Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks.

Just keep posting until you can send a message. You can always talk about how Californians or New Yorkers have invaded your state.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/26/20
This restriction has to be very, very recent. I get lots of PMs with 0 posts for the user.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/26/20
It's going to hurt the Lightfoot small business man if folks can't create an account here in order to ask for a Lightfoot mount.

Mike, I'd suggest creating a Lightfoot mount email address (separate from your main one) and putting it into a .sig and in your profile for folks to find and reach you. Maybe [email protected]? Hee hee..
Yes, you are right Rory. I've thought of that very thing but haven't executed yet. Now is the time...
Posted By: OntarioJay Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/26/20
lol it definitely is. I found my way here searching for a no drill scope for my model 99, so it's the reason I created a profile at all. Albeit I have always been in love with the rifle - it was originally purchased by my father's father who passed away, then given to my mother's father, who returned it to me a few years ago to keep as an heirloom. It's in great shape, and I've always been happy/excited to read messages from others appreciate such a great item, so it's good to join the community anyway. Maybe after I get my Lightfoot mount and scope I'll be able to post in the 2020 kills post smile

Also I'm in Canada, so no New Yorkers or Californians can get over the border anyway (to the fellow who mentioned the state invaders, lol). Not that we don't have our own outbreak here too, though.
OK! [email protected] is open for business. Email away.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/26/20
Might be a good idea for Rick to put that into the Misc. Good Info thread as well?
Posted By: OntarioJay Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/26/20
email sent!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/27/20
Done.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
This restriction has to be very, very recent. I get lots of PMs with 0 posts for the user.

Few week ago maybe a month or so. Lots of people were getting PMs replying to WTB adds in the classifieds by people that had just signed up and had 0 posts and had just happened to have exactly what the looker wanted. All you had to do was send him or his friend an email with your payment info and he would get it right out to you. So somebody suggested a 50 post minimum before you could PM and I think Rick Bin decided the number should be 20.

Might have the specifics all mixed up but that is the premise of what precipitated the new minimum post/pm rule

Edit: My own personal rule is that I will not send anybody any money that hasn't posted 1000 times. Never been burned.
Posted By: roadking95 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/27/20
Thanks! I'm not sure my words of wisdom will enlighten anyone, but a good rant will always make me feel better!
Posted By: OntarioJay Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/27/20
Sounds like you're restricting liberty to protect people that make dumb mistakes when bad people attempt to exploit those mistakes..... lol ok maybe not a good joke. But seriously, if people get duped it's their own fault. Same as if people use guns to do bad things, you can't ban them. You've developed a screening program to ensure trust, that makes sense. Just like a sound screening process for gun owners.

I know sounding left here might make me an outcast, but I loved going through due process to own a gun, because I don't want my criminal, crazy neighbour owning one. So I'm happy posting 1000 times before earning your trust, because I don't want you or me to be screwed over. It takes me less time to get a gun license - I got mine in "socialist Canada" over a weekend. To post 1000 times here will take me a lot longer.

I'm joining a new community and starting an argument I guess, but I just wanted to point out the silliness. I hate that we have to adjust rules to adhere for the lowest common denominator of people; we can't be hypocritical.

Also as an aside it's easy to get guns in Canada and hunt! Don't be fooled by the media, come on over and enjoy it.

Sorry for taking offence. I am inspired by this community. Im just pissed by the online losers that make things tougher and find it reflective of the decisions our politicians and people in control have to make.
© 24hourcampfire