Home
Posted By: RAS # 2. Tell me about this one. 303 - 04/09/20
Same scenario as #1. All I have is pics. What is it?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Looks like it could be a first generation 99 F, post 1926 with high gloss bluing and a 24" barrel.
Buy buy buy!
OG,

What is the gun in this thread? This one is different than the other thread I did. All the pics in this thread and from the same gun. The gun on the other thread has a crescent buttplate.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Buy buy buy!

Both are $600 a piece. Can probably get them cheaper.
Originally Posted by RAS
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Buy buy buy!

Both are $600 a piece. Can probably get them cheaper.

What are you waiting for????
This F definitely has curb appeal!!
Looks like a D. Sheit I can't keep the old ones straight.
I'm thinking a 1899A Short rifle takedown.
So a tell tale is the forend steel and the thru screw side to side, should help date it and give away what it is.
Originally Posted by KeithNyst

Same
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by KeithNyst

Same

Me as well.

D 24"
The forearm indicates pre-20x,xxx range so 1899-A Short Rifle, TD. The forearm wood is about the same length as the barrel past the wood so 22" barrel.
Here is two texts I just got from the current owner concerning both rifles.

Not saying he is correct, just what he is saying. He doesn’t know Savages that well.

“1899a, 22 inch barrel, take down, made 1920”

”1899h, 26 in barrel, take down, made 1912”
Don't know witch model it is, but #2 seems to be a no brainer at $600 or less. Hard to find a 303 TD in that condition around here. Looks well cared for.
This rifle is 2146xx
That serial would make it an 1899A Short Rifle, or Saddle Gun as it was catalogued.

I'd have guessed it to be earlier.
What's the skinny on the bore condition on both rifles?
That SN is a little low for 99 D but it sure looks like one to me. Look closer at the barrel weight.
The 99C, 99D and 1899A SR all had the same design from 1919 to 1926, so you're right in that it does look exactly like a 99D.

Here's an 1899A SR at serial number 217,xxx.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
I think it is a 1899A Short Rifle based on the rocky mountain front sight and bolt in forearm.
That would be a fun one to see lettered! wink
I think Rory is correct that the serial numbers are reversed.

Mike, the barrel weight is the same for the 1899 rifle's, Short rifle's, 1899SRC, early version 99A, early version 99B, 99C & 99D.
I just happen to have gotten in a 1920 Savage Arms #61 catalog and have it sitting right by my side.

The proper name for that front sight from the sights section of the catalog is a "Rocky Mountain German Silver Bead", which is different than the "German Silver Bead Blade" insert which goes in the 1899H rifles. The description from the takedown Saddle Gun calls the front sight a "white metal bead front sight", which seems totally incorrect to me since there's no white metal bead on it. Has the same sight description for all non-1899H models.

I'll stick with calling it the Rocky Mountain blade. grin
Just found out that the buttstock and buttplate numbers on the short rifle are off by a lot.
Aha... below 193,000?
So, at what serial number do we start calling 1899A Short Rifles a 99D instead? confused
Well.. several things happened in 1921.

The 300 Savage cartridge came out.
The 410 shotgun barrel came out.
The 1899's got model letters.

To me, it makes sense to say that the first rifles chambered in 300 Savage should be considered as the point when the lettered models came out. Otherwise you end up with nonsense like a 2nd version 250-3000 chambered in 300 Savage rather than a 99G chambered in 300 Savage.

So about serial number 234,000, knowing that almost no serial number is ever a clean switchover to something new.

At worst, it'll be within 2,000 or 3,000 off, in case we ever find a dated letter in the future saying the models are now called 99A/99B/99C as of July 1, 1920 or some such.
D in 300

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There was a D making the gun show rounds here in the NE a few years ago and it had a barrel heavier than any 99 I have ever handled or shouldered. Not like anything else I ever saw. I've owned and handled short rifles, but this felt different. The center of balance was farther forward. I believe it had a mid 20's serial number.

Like somebody screwed a lead pipe onto a 99 receiver. It was a 303 IIRC.
Originally Posted by 99guy
There was a D making the gun show rounds here in the NE a few years ago and it had a barrel heavier than any 99 I have ever handled or shouldered. Not like anything else I ever saw. I've owned and handled short rifles, but this felt different. The center of balance was farther forward. I believe it had a mid 20's serial number.

Like somebody screwed a lead pipe onto a 99 receiver. It was a 303 IIRC.

I agree, very front heavy. I like the feel of the D model.
© 24hourcampfire