Home
Posted By: gnoahhh WTB barrel - 05/23/20
I'm thinking about putting together a rifle to be gifted to a deserving kid. Whether I go through with the project or not depends entirely on whether I can find a suitable barrel. The action is an old one, circa 1913, so perforce it needs to be something such as .303, or .30-30. .300 and .250 need not apply for the job. .30-30 would be ideal so the kid won't have to face locating scarce factory ammo for it. Length and condition not an issue, but a good shootable bore would be a necessity. If you have something of that ilk laying around getting moldy, let me know.
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
If you had a hankering for an older wildcat I have a nice custom barrel in 22 30-30 with a mint bore for a savage takedown.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
Intriguing as it is, it wouldn't be something I would be comfy in saddling a 13 year old with. Thanks for responding though!
Posted By: deerstalker Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
gary , i have a pre 64 94 win barrel in 32win spcl i'll never do anything with, if it would work. what is the action?
Posted By: S99VG Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
That's a great project Gary. If you want those stocks for the job they are yours.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
Featherweight or rifle weight barrel?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
I've probably got something in 303 Gary. Doubt I have any in 30-30 though. I tend to use those up for my own seff.
I know I have a really nice barreled action in 300 sitting here too.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
I have a really early 303 barrel. I think it's octagon. I'll trudge out through the snow after breakfast and check it. YES, I said snow!!
Length and weight matters not. Yes, it is an 1899 Savage.

.303 is ok. The kid would just have to dig a little deeper to find ammo.

Jeff, I may just take you up on the stocks.

Roy, I'm not averse to shifting gears and going .300 route. I just can't do that with the receiver I have. Let me know!

David, an octagon barrel would be cool-io daddy-o.

For those of you who know him from the Rendezvous, it's for Brace- the really polite kid whom is a huge help to us geezers. He is one of the most level headed kids I ever knew, loves to shoot, and is drawn to Savages.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I have a really early 303 barrel. I think it's octagon. I'll trudge out through the snow after breakfast and check it. YES, I said snow!!

Snow, wow. That's some first weekend of summer you got going on there!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Length and weight matters not. Yes, it is an 1899 Savage.

.303 is ok. The kid would just have to dig a little deeper to find ammo.

Jeff, I may just take you up on the stocks.

Roy, I'm not averse to shifting gears and going .300 route. I just can't do that with the receiver I have. Let me know!

David, an octagon barrel would be cool-io daddy-o.

For those of you who know him from the Rendezvous, it's for Brace- the really polite kid whom is a huge help to us geezers. He is one of the most level headed kids I ever knew, loves to shoot, and is drawn to Savages.

Good deal. I'd like to see those stocks go to a worthy project and to someone who can turn them into a work of art.
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
Gary i will give you a Lyman peep sight for on it when its done. If you wish to go that route. Im sure my nephew would love this when its done!!

Joe
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
Gary, as I recall, he was also quite drawn to you .22 laugh

You're right, he's a great kid. Very pleasant, polite and respectful. Jay can be proud of that one.

It would be great to be in attendance when you present it to him, to see the look on his face.
Looks like you got a peep and stocks committed to the project. All you need now is either a barrel or barreled action. A 303 might be a great way for getting him into the world of reloading, however finding ammo for a 300 would be would be an easier task. Not that a 300 couldn't open him up the world of reloading too. It's a great cartridge.
Thanks, fellas. I'm only happy to return a bit to the hobby that has fascinated me lo these many years. What better way than to help a youngster, to pass the torch to a fresh generation? Guys like him may well be the salvation of the Republic- by ensuring America is never spelled "Amerika".
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20

Couldn't agree more, Gary. I'm doing something similar the week before the Rendezvous at my camp. There's a young man who had to sell his deer rifle a couple of years ago when he got married and started his new family. He's been showing up for deer season with borrowed rifles the last two years. I bought a Bergara Woodsman last year and just haven't been able to cotton to it. I've decide to gift it to him at our camp work detail in August. I feel exactly as you do about giving something back to the hobby. I'm extremely grateful that I'm in a position to do so.
I posted on the club for you Gary also.

Joe
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
If you had a hankering for an older wildcat I have a nice custom barrel in 22 30-30 with a mint bore for a savage takedown.

Pm sent.
Aw heck if it's for Brace you all are welcome to the 300 set up. it's just the receiver and barrel, no internals. Let me know if you want to go that route.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Aw heck if it's for Brace you all are welcome to the 300 set up. it's just the receiver and barrel, no internals. Let me know if you want to go that route.

I'll also throw in the lever and the rotor. The lever will work with the stock but it's blued. Maybe someone can donate a color case job?? The rotor is for a 250 so I don't know how well it will work or be made to. But regardless, its yours. I'm never going to do anything with it.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
I haven't found that barrel yet. Will keep looking if you think you want it. It sounds like the post is moving towards a 300 Sav
Posted By: saddlering Re: WTB barrel - 05/23/20
Gary a Great Thing that your doing! I belive I have an old 303 rotor, if you will need one! yes Brace is one Great Kido, I Know that Jay is Proud Pop, may have a straight lever also!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: WTB barrel - 05/24/20
Hey Gary, another option is the one you and I talked about last year on the way home. I could offer up the 99E 303 that made The Shot Seen Around the World, and everyone could pitch a little to help defray the cost.
Posted By: Loggah Re: WTB barrel - 05/24/20
Gary,I have a 26" barrel in 303 on a s/n 52,000 frame you can have if you want it. i can unscrew it from the receiver and send it out. Sounds like a worthy project for a young guy. Don
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: WTB barrel - 05/24/20
Update:

A member here offered to donate a barreled action in .300 (500,000-ish EG or R). After some soul searching I decided to go that route, for two reasons. One, the boy doesn't handload so he would be beholden to others to keep him in .303 ammo- .300 ammo is readily available, in the main, so I think it presents the best option. The second is that the area he lives in has bears, and while it's not likely he would bump into one I would feel a little better if the tenderfoot had a .300 with which to take a swipe at it than a .303/.30-30.

So, a heartfelt thanks to all who offered .303 barrels ( four total, publicly and privately). The generosity of this group overwhelms me.

The wood will be fitted/finished by me from a rough turned set. Another guy offered a tang sight. I'll decide when I see it whether it needs rust blued, the donor says it's pretty nice as-is. It's coming together!!

Again, thank you very much!!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: WTB barrel - 05/25/20
I can send some ammo or funds for ammo. Nice job on your part and those who donated.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: WTB barrel - 05/25/20
I didn't remember but the reciever is mostly complete, but Gary is still going to need a complete bolt with firing pin assembly, plus a lever and bushing/screw if anyone has one. I don't know if the wood is straight or curved, but Gary could tell you which lever he needs.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: WTB barrel - 05/25/20
Got all that covered, Roy! Thanks!
Posted By: damnesia Re: WTB barrel - 05/25/20
I don't have much to offer but if you need a butt stock i have one. Th only catch is it's been cut for a pad. No cracks though. Came off a 1919 250-3000. I assume you have this covered but thought I'd offer.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: WTB barrel - 05/25/20

I'll bring up a couple of boxes of factory 150's for him.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: WTB barrel - 05/26/20
Got the butt stock covered.

I'm sure he would appreciate some ammo, Tim. Thanks!
Posted By: damnesia Re: WTB barrel - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Got the butt stock covered.

I'm sure he would appreciate some ammo, Tim. Thanks!

How about posting what you need, or is all good except ammo? It can take a campfire to build a rifle :-)
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: WTB barrel - 05/26/20
If I run into a snag I'll holler!
Posted By: texken Re: WTB barrel - 05/30/20
Gary, would B non matching wood, missing rear sight, bore is toast, great looking n 303...Wisconsin cartridge is where I have been buying ammo, be glad to donate for the young man
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: WTB barrel - 05/30/20
Thanks, Ken but I think we pretty well have it covered.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: WTB barrel - 05/31/20
Looking forward to the finished product.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: WTB barrel - 06/15/20
Hey Gary, any updates on the project for Brace?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: WTB barrel - 06/15/20
All the bits and pieces are finally in one place. Starting to fit the butt to the receiver- they left a lot of wood in there to be gnawed out. In the interest of time saving and out of respect for a skinny young shoulder I'm putting a thin brown Pachmayr recoil pad on it- but it does say "Savage" on it!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: WTB barrel - 06/15/20
Looking forward to pics.
Posted By: steve99 Re: WTB barrel - 06/16/20
I am bringing some things I no longer need or want that someone else may have a use for. Cases, bullets, some factory ammo, stuff like that. Brace can have the Winchester white box 300S with 180 gr RN. Should be perfect for bear.
Posted By: tal35 Re: WTB barrel - 06/16/20
I might have a 30-30 barrel for the 99 I bought a long time ago, pm if interested and I can dig it out and try to get stats on it.
© 24hourcampfire