Home
As stated above. Looking for a good filet knife and definitely want the most for my money
Custom or production?

Talk to VinceM on the fire for custom

Russell Knives, Victorinix - we have used both for ocean fish.

I picked up a Russell from VinceM for freshwater, however we use it to cut cooked meat most of the time!
Thinking about a custom,but not interested in going broke to get one.
I have used the American made old timers for decades with excellent results and durability and still have several of them. Bought a Knives of Alaska set a couple years ago, they're decent but not impressive. I live in the Midwest, so it won't be seeing the ocean. Typically used for crappie,walleye,bass,flatheads or whatever else is biting
Dale Howe

Judman has a thread a little ways down.

best bang o' buck?

I've gpt a couple Martinni (sp?) i use. rubber handle / coated blade.

even the rapalas ( martinni) are pretty good for $20.
Best bang for the buck, my recommendation would go to Dexter sani-safe handled stainless knives. USA made, variety of sizes and shapes to suit your needs and $20-25.

Custom? Pick your price and start shopping makers.
Originally Posted by Torqued

I have used the American made old timers for decades with excellent results and durability and still have several of them

You are probably going to have a hard time beating those with bang for the buck production knives. That said, if I needed a fillet knife, I'd likely pick up one of the birch handled Rapalas in whatever length I wanted.
Dexter-Russel is what they use on the slime line at the processing plants on the coast. So that's what I use, cheap and a nice balance between hard and soft, holds an edge pretty good, but not hard to touch up when it needs it. Nice big grippy handle. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the good ol' Rapala. But if you are cutting good size rib bones for 8 hours a day, you don't want the blade curve and flexibility. A straight fairly stiff 9" Dexter is all you need. That said, I know nothing about freshwater fish.
Contact Mike Miller here on the forums.
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Torqued

I have used the American made old timers for decades with excellent results and durability and still have several of them

You are probably going to have a hard time beating those with bang for the buck production knives. That said, if I needed a fillet knife, I'd likely pick up one of the birch handled Rapalas in whatever length I wanted.

^^^This^^^
Good is very subjective. What you personally like will dictate more so what is good for you. Do you like a stiff blade, medium flex, full flex? Do you know how to sharpen knives? Some steels are easier to sharpen than others. Do you care if it is stainless or not? Do you want factory or from a maker?

Dexters are a great knife for the price and losing it doesn't matter.

But when you step up to the custom knife it is a more expensive game. Losing it will probably hurt. The fit and finish SHOULD be a lot better. Steel could be much better.

Only you can make the choice what is best for you.
I gave my son one of these and he is pleased with it.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/036-abyss-fillet-knife/0036BLS-B/
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Dale Howe

best bang o' buck?

X2 Dale Howe
I have a few Kershaw Clearwater 7’’ fillet knives. Under $18 on amazon and hold a decent edge. I have a few of them so I always have a sharp one on hand.
I have this ready to ship Good knife https://www.vcmcustomknives.com/grey--black-fillet.html
Dale Howe

best bang o' buck?

I have no idea what you’re talking about!! 🤣🤣
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here it is, love it, can’t recall what dale used, thinkin elmax?

Better pic
Originally Posted by Judman
Dale Howe

best bang o' buck?

I have no idea what you’re talking about!! 🤣🤣

Here it is, love it, can’t recall what dale used, thinkin elmax?

I hope you didn't eat that top one......haha!
Cats ate it!! 😂
Originally Posted by Judman
Cats ate it!! 😂

Kinda figured, and hoped.
No knife snob me, the Victornox is a nice knife.
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Best bang for the buck, my recommendation would go to Dexter sani-safe handled stainless knives. USA made, variety of sizes and shapes to suit your needs and $20-25.

Custom? Pick your price and start shopping makers.

Second these
I've always liked the Finnish Rapalas for value.
Those Dexters look like a good deal. Danco also has some nice reasonably priced filet knives.
i will go with the dexter also .if you drop it overboard it won't hurt like a custom would
We have two Victor Fiberex knives. They do anything I need.
My favorite have always been the Wooden handled Rapala’s. You can find them anywhere and are cheap. They stay sharp and come with a little ceramic stick sharpener.
All so great kitchen knives.
Well I would say you'll be very hard pressed to find a better bargain than a M.E. Miller. I just got this in the mail today and it is every bit as good a knife as you could ask for and at $150.00 it is literally a steal.

I love my Rick Menefee fillet knife although he wasn't a fan of making them and prices them accordingly..
I've had a Buck TruBlue 539x Fishlocker Folding Filet Knife for a while that I have enjoyed.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Well I would say you'll be very hard pressed to find a better bargain than a M.E. Miller. I just got this in the mail today and it is every bit as good a knife as you could ask for and at $150.00 it is literally a steal.

I really like that profile. I like a straighter fillet knife.
I have used a Fiskars for years, I like the ceramic sharpening rods mounted in the sheath. Also like Schrade Uncle Henrys.
© 24hourcampfire