Home
Posted By: Cheesy Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
Anybody carry old school slip joints?

My daily is a Case Trapper with antique bone scales.

Lost a GEC elk scaled trapper and nearly cried.

Have a custom Ken Coats single bladed trapper in my nightstand that gets carried on special occasions.

Just ordered this Northwoods (made by GEC) yesterday. Mammoth Ivory scales (this ones pretty plain compared to some others). Knives Ship Free did a 4pm drop and ~600 with various scale materials sold out in under a minute.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I’ve tried carrying modern liner locks clipped to my pocket. Just can’t like them.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
Some days I’ll carry a case sod buster or trapper.

I’ve got several Gec micarta trappers stuck back.

The smith cutlery / gec lockback single blade trappers are really nice also.
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
My EDC is a TL-29. Carried one since my Navy days back in the early '70s. I carry functional not fancy.
George
Posted By: MOGC Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
I like slip joints. I have some good quality factory slip joints and a custom Rick Menefee and sold a John Llyold to a member here last year. No way are they as convenient as a one hand operated folder clipped to a pocket. But sometimes I don't really need that fast opening Benchmade, ZT or Spyderco and the nostalgia of a nice "pocket knife" is very satisfying.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
I 've been carrying this Camillus Stockman (middle knife) in my pocket daily for 70 years. My dad gave it to me for my birthday in 1950. I can't even begin to imagine the thousands of times I've used it.

Although the stag scales are quite worn and the pins obvious, the blades still "walk and talk" like a new one. Sharp as a razor.

FWIW, the top fixed blade is a custom I designed and had Bill Buchman, Bend, Oregon, a custom blade smith, forge for me in 1983. Bill died several years ago.

The bottom fixed blade is a 40 year old Gerber A475. The Camillus Stockman and either of these two fixed blade knives have traveled many a mile outdoors with me and have always served me well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L.W.

Posted By: ol_mike Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
Why are they called 'slip joint' knives ?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I truly don't know, but my guess is because the blade 'slips' into position and is not locked into place.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
Custom by John Lloyd I sell other makers too Best pocket knives ,custom hand made slipjoits

Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
WOW!
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
WOW!

I really enjoy it, especially the part about hooking good guys up with outstanding off the charts blades !

Thank You Guys
Posted By: Judman Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
My EDC is a TL-29. Carried one since my Navy days back in the early '70s. I carry functional not fancy.
George

Yessir, hold the ugly soldier of fortune bullshiit. Very sweet on the Meneffee trapper, she’s made some meat the last couple months, got a few more trips she’s goin on. Love it.
Originally Posted by VinceM
Custom by John Lloyd I sell other makers too Best pocket knives ,custom hand made slipjoits

Take the scales on the blade 3rd from the right with a blade from the 2nd from left, and you'd really have something there....
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
George

Yessir, hold the ugly soldier of fortune bullshiit. Very sweet on the Meneffee trapper, she’s made some meat the last couple months, got a few more trips she’s goin on. Love it.

Someday I'd love own one of Rick's slip joints.
I pondered one for quite a while, glad I bought one
Posted By: antlers Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]I love the custom slip joints just like that one, with no bolsters.
Ya man, it’s my baby. 😆

I keep track of it better than my wallet and car keys on trips!! Haha

Bret Dowell
My Ken Coats
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]That’s pretty incredible.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Slip Joints? - 11/13/20
Great pictures boys! Here is my Menefee...

Love it MOGC. It’d be a pleasure to own and use a knife like that.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Slip Joints? - 11/14/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
Great pictures boys! Here is my Menefee...

That is gorgeous
Posted By: VinceM Re: Slip Joints? - 11/14/20
Bret Dowell

Posted By: Boise Re: Slip Joints? - 11/14/20
I have a John Lloyd in my pocket at the moment that I commonly carry. There is another minty John LLoyd in the safe along with my most treasured slippy, a Todd Davison I have posted here before. Also have a handful from GEC and favor their #66 pattern. My hand engraved bolster German Bull doesn't receive the love it deserves. I will say my Chris Reeves Nmundi is the best made bade of all of them. I've never figured out posting images here since it all changed.
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Slip Joints? - 11/15/20
Vince, yours?

Bret Dowell
Posted By: VinceM Re: Slip Joints? - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by Gies340
Vince, yours?

Bret Dowell

Yes Jason I think it's 3-3/8" closed , African Goat
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Slip Joints? - 11/21/20
There are some gorgeous blades in this thread. The one that impresses me the most is the little Camillus carried for 70 years by LEANWOLF. Wow what history. I collect antique folders and none bring more admiration for me that the well used ones. I have a stag handled Case XX trapper built @1950. It has been carried for so long the stag is smooth as glass and recessing from the liners. Oh the stories it could tell. I would really like to have all the pocket change that wore the scales down. I am too rough on them. Seldom do I get 10 years out of a knife before it is lost in a lake , river or trail. Often they have to be sacrificed for the greater good. Am carrying a Case mini Copperlock with classic yellow scales. I reground and reshaped the blade to a better design. The blade is so stained no shine is left. And it only took 2 years to get it to look that way.

Posted By: stantdm Re: Slip Joints? - 11/21/20
I have a few and use a Case Trapper most of the time around the farm. I like them but not as much as a liner lock or lock back.

I would like to get one of Chris Crawford's slip joints soon.

https://chriscrawfordknives.com/home/
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: Slip Joints? - 11/22/20
Most of my pocket knives are slipjoints, many of them older ones. Only have one "modern" one hand open/close model, a Boker Gent II, and it's smaller and thinner bladed than many typical newer type knives. Favorite patterns are copperheads, scout/camp, and cattle (equal ends aka cigar stockman). Never really been attracted to tactical style knives, most just aren't shaped like I want. Two one handers that I do lust for are the Case Slimlock and William Henry T10 Lancet, both of which are too expensive.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Slip Joints? - 12/05/20
One of several favorites from Reese Bose, 4 1/8” closed, based on a Western trapper pattern.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Slip Joints? - 12/05/20
I can appreciate a well made slip joint, but I just can’t spend that kind of money on a pocketknife any more.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Slip Joints? - 12/07/23
Got a new favorite in the pocket.

Great Eastern Cutlery 54 Big Jack with crosscut mammoth scales.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pc screenshot
Posted By: woodson Re: Slip Joints? - 12/07/23
Very unique. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Slip Joints? - 12/07/23
Not this child.

I have a couple, but do not carry.

Non-locking folders scare me.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: MOGC Re: Slip Joints? - 12/07/23
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Got a new favorite in the pocket.

Great Eastern Cutlery 54 Big Jack with crosscut mammoth scales.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pc screenshot

Very nice!
Posted By: AshHandmadeKnives Re: Slip Joints? - 12/09/23
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I believe that the term "slip joint" was invented by collectors to differentiate between traditional pocket knives and locking knives when the liner-lock world exploded. There is some speculation that the first use of it was in blade forums. I'm just going by thisBladeforum post on origination of term slipjoint old forum post that came up when googling.

I am a new custom pocket knifemaker. I found this forum when searching for old pictures of a Ricky Bob design. I felt like I hit the holy grail finding his old thread with pictures going back years. The top down views showing the entire spring/blade/tang/liner are invaluable to helping me learn.

If it's ok to post, here are some recent pics of ones I've made. On deck next will be a gunstock with spear blade and Tony Bose Zulu.

I like to hear about what people's favorite patterns, bladeshape, and scales are. It helps as I think about what to make that will resonate with enthusiasts.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Slip Joints? - 12/09/23
I've sold ,literally thousands .

" Lanny's Clip " ,a design by Tony Bose was very popular at one time ,and also the " Zulu " spear . This name of the spear blade was spyed in an old Schrade catalogue . In modern times the Case Co. calls it the " Tribal Spear "

Backpockets are popular,these derived from a Remington style ,again,Tony Bose designed

I sell many trapper styles ,they seem to be popular . The thing about these slipjoints is theres so many styles & sizes ,single blades ,multi blades etc.

There's many ,many new makers these days & for someone just getting into these ,it's a buyers market ,unlike when I first got into them back in 2006 approx. ,at that time there was far less makers & selection ( talking custom handmade of course )

Pic just because

Posted By: VinceM Re: Slip Joints? - 12/09/23
These are known as " Dog Leg" Jack knives . The handle ,the shape of a dog's leg

Posted By: AshHandmadeKnives Re: Slip Joints? - 12/09/23
Thanks Vince,
I'm adding dogleg jack to my list to try.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Slip Joints? - 12/10/23
Originally Posted by AshHandmadeKnives
I like to hear about what people's favorite patterns, bladeshape, and scales are. It helps as I think about what to make that will resonate with enthusiasts.

Nice stuff you’ve got.

My favorites? Trappers, like from Case or GEC 48. Have one from K’Roo I had made to my specs. My wife would faint. Same as the coffin jack I had him make me…

I don’t like dinky tiny pocket knives, but don’t want big tacticool ones either. That trapper size (or similar frame size) are just right to me.

I’m in the minority, but I hate stag, I hate jigged bone.

I like smooth dyed bone, weathered/kinda smooth antler, mammoth, figured wood and even plain wood.

K’Roo Coffin Jack with kudu bone

K’Rood Trapper with kudu bone

Posted By: Limapapa Re: Slip Joints? - 12/10/23
My Jim Sasser polished elk antler folding hunter.

Attached picture Picture1.jpg
Attached picture Picture3.jpg
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Slip Joints? - 12/10/23
My smaller PJ Tomes gents knife

Attached picture IMG_5495 (1).JPG
Attached picture IMG_5505 (1).JPG
Attached picture IMG_5503.JPG
© 24hourcampfire