Home
Posted By: jonboy900 anyone know of a good maker - 03/10/21
does anyone know of any one making a good bowie knife? looking for one with a 10-12 in blade with a sharpend false edag
Posted By: byron Re: anyone know of a good maker - 03/10/21
I might be able to help you out. Do you have any other particulars on what you are wanting? Handle shape and material? Type of steel? I'm limited to high carbon steels, and I have also done a few out of farriers rasps though rasps might limit the blade length a little bit.

If you are interested, PM me your cell number, and I'll send you some picture messages of a couple I have made.

Byron
What kind of handle are you wanting? I make plenty of Bowies using elk antler and vintage farrier rasp's.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
What kind of handle are you wanting? I make plenty of Bowies using elk antler and vintage farrier rasp's.
most of the ones i have seen was wood or deer antler. i dont think i ever saw a elk handle one so that would be cool
Posted By: Mathsr Re: anyone know of a good maker - 03/20/21

Jonboy900 it might help the makers on here if you were a little bit more specific about the type of Bowie and the level of quality you are talking about. The word Bowie is a pretty broad description of a type of knife.

Bowies can vary from this Gentelman's Bowie with a carved Damascus blade and carved stag handle:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

To this period style spear point Bowie with an elk handle

There are some very good makers that frequent this forum that have a wide range of talents. Many can go from 0 to 60 in just a second or two.
Nice usage of the elk ivory Harry. Like it!
Posted By: JeffyD Re: anyone know of a good maker - 03/21/21
Take a look at Southern Longbeards. Seth Borries is a young bladesmith, a "Forged in Fire" champion (if you're into that show), and builds a tough knife for a very fair price. The Mrs. gave me one of his drop-point hunters this past Christmas. There are some bowies on his website.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: anyone know of a good maker - 03/21/21
Can’t take credit for the elk ivory. It’s Charlie’s personal hunting knife. I think he put the elk ivory on it so he wouldn’t be tempted to sell it. It is a great use for it though. He loops it behind his belt as a kind of safety strap to keep the knife in the sheath than have it snag on a limb and slip it out.
I have the original Cold Steel Carbon V Trail Master Bowie with the 9" blade. I think the steel is O1 which is a good tough steel for a big knife. I keep meaning to take the rubber handle off and replace it with moose antler and have a custom leather sheath made. Also it has the guard on it that would be handy for protecting ones hand in a knife fight, but who knife fights? I plan on taking the top of it off to make it better for bush crafting.

Bowies are all over the place, like a Nessmuk is, every one has their idea on a Bowie. If I need something bigger then 9" I will grab a manchette or my Kukri.
I have the original Cold Steel Carbon V Trail Master Bowie with the 9" blade. I think the steel is O1 which is a good tough steel for a big knife. I keep meaning to take the rubber handle off and replace it with moose antler and have a custom leather sheath made. Also it has the guard on it that would be handy for protecting ones hand in a knife fight, but who knife fights? I plan on taking the top of it off to make it better for bush crafting.

Bowies are all over the place, like a Nessmuk is, every one has their idea on a Bowie. If I need something bigger then 9" I will grab a manchette or my Kukri.

As for steel, on a big knife I want a tough steel like O1 or 5160 or 1095 and if money available then make it out of CPM V3, what a blade that would be!
Look into 80crv2.

An old steel in Europe, it's catching on here.
© 24hourcampfire