Home
Posted By: elkchsr First Canister Weld... - 04/01/21
Well first successful one anyway. 52100 ball bearings and powdered 1084. This was just a quick test etch before the heat treat, but I'm happy with the way things are looking so far.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Super cool!
👍👍🍉
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: First Canister Weld... - 04/01/21
I don't even know what a "canister weld" is
Posted By: byron Re: First Canister Weld... - 04/01/21
That is pretty cool! I haven't screwed up the courage to try any type damascus, let alone canister.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: First Canister Weld... - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Whew! I thought that I was the only one...
Saving my pennies for a press. Really looking forward to the world that’ll open up like doing canister, and easier drifting eyes etc.

Do you mind sharing what yours is? I’ve been looking at the Coal Iron oine
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Canister damascus. Put small pieces of steel in a piece of square tubing, use powdered steel to fill any voids, weld up the ends. Heat and squish.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: First Canister Weld... - 04/01/21
Sweet! That looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing the finished blade.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: First Canister Weld... - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Canister damascus. Put small pieces of steel in a piece of square tubing, use powdered steel to fill any voids, weld up the ends. Heat and squish.

thanks. I had no idea. Results are neat
You can get some neat patterns, also lets you use materials otherwise would be untenable unless you've the ability to smelt it down and start over per say. I have a bunch of chainsaw chains I've been saving for the day I get a press and the ability to try my hand at it.

For my $.02 I like taking something and remaking it into something else. Has more soul to me. Water jetting out a pattern on new steel, grinding it, then sending it off to a 3rd party for heat treat, and bolting on pre-cut scales can sure make a damn nice knife. But I like hammering out a knife or axe from old things and giving them new life. Luckily for all us knife sluts there are plenty of offerings of every variety out there to choose from.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: First Canister Weld... - 04/02/21
Thanks guys. I don't have a real press yet. I have an electric log splitter that I made ups some dies for, but most of the work was done with a hammer. I did just get a 2x72 grinder and I can't believe what a game changer that has been.
Posted By: byron Re: First Canister Weld... - 04/02/21
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
You can get some neat patterns, also lets you use materials otherwise would be untenable unless you've the ability to smelt it down and start over per say. I have a bunch of chainsaw chains I've been saving for the day I get a press and the ability to try my hand at it.

For my $.02 I like taking something and remaking it into something else. Has more soul to me. Water jetting out a pattern on new steel, grinding it, then sending it off to a 3rd party for heat treat, and bolting on pre-cut scales can sure make a damn nice knife. But I like hammering out a knife or axe from old things and giving them new life. Luckily for all us knife sluts there are plenty of offerings of every variety out there to choose from.

I'm right there with you on that BGG. I have done several knives through stock removal from 10 series high carbon steel, but I really get more satisfaction from doing what you just described.

Been intrigued lately with farriers rasps and some kind of old drive line (?) I scrounged up.
Posted By: LouisB Re: First Canister Weld... - 04/03/21
That came out nice!
Did you only get one blank out of it?
Does one have to put some flux in the mixture when they canister weld?
Does one have to leave a small pressure relief hole?
Can't wait to see the final knife.
So many resin filled products to complement that blade pattern.

Several videos on the process over on utube
Posted By: elkchsr Re: First Canister Weld... - 05/25/21
Thanks guys! Finally got around to finishing this one. I ordered the scales from Jantz, Green Mamba Juma. Pretty easy stuff to work with. I don’t have a press so the billet was pretty small. Ended up with enough steel for this one and a marking knife for wood working. No flux or pressure relief hole in the canister. I really like the way this one turned out.

Posted By: geedubya Re: First Canister Weld... - 05/25/21
Cool!

Don't ya' luv it when a plan comes together!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: saddlering Re: First Canister Weld... - 05/27/21
Very nice!
Posted By: 44mc Re: First Canister Weld... - 05/27/21
BGG what size box tubing do you use ?. something close to the size of blade you want ?.
Originally Posted by 44mc
BGG what size box tubing do you use ?. something close to the size of blade you want ?.

I’m not qualified to answer as I haven’t done it yet.

The op has some pretty good looking success though. smile
Posted By: 44mc Re: First Canister Weld... - 05/29/21
thanks BGG . that is a cool idea. I have been using old blades of timber cut down machines
Originally Posted by 44mc
thanks BGG . that is a cool idea. I have been using old blades of timber cut down machines

Like big circular saw blades? Neighbor gave me a couple big band saw blades from his portable mill. Might be able to do a filet out of a piece, but too thin otherwise.I figure they’re meat for either a damascus stack or canister.
Posted By: 44mc Re: First Canister Weld... - 05/29/21
no we make them in the shop were i work . 3/4" 7/8" and 1" ar400 steel plate . cut it to size and machine the cutting edge. they bolt to the tractor that cuts down the trees for loggers . I cut strips with a track torch about 3/16 wide then heat & hammer to shape . pm me a phone# if you want a pic. of the material
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: First Canister Weld... - 06/08/21
All you guys, are sure producing some great stuff !
Posted By: 1minute Re: First Canister Weld... - 06/09/21
Interesting look. Looks like another hobby that I'd enjoy, but don't presently have the gear.
Finished my second canister welded knife tonight. This one is chainsaw chain and powdered 1084. These knives are starting to pile up around here. 😁

Very nice work especially for your first attempt at canister damascus and impressive that you did most of it the old fashioned way with a hammer. Hydraulic log splitter rams dual action cylinders work well for building a blacksmithing press. Be very careful in designing the press frame as these presses can be very dangerous should they come apart under stress. I'm still in the process of putting my shop together since moving to another state a couple years ago and plan on building both a press and a tire power hammer.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: First Canister Weld... - 12/21/21
Finished this one up tonight. A buddy’s wife ordered it as a Christmas present for him. The pics make the finish look worse than it is. One of these days I’ll figure out how to take a decent pic. The blade is high carbon steel fish hooks and powdered 1084, and you can see the eye of a hook near the choil on one side. The scales are box elder burl/epoxy hybrids. Pretty happy with how this one turned out.

upload img
Really cool!
You have been watching Shurap again!
Posted By: stantdm Re: First Canister Weld... - 12/21/21
That is terrific.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: First Canister Weld... - 12/21/21
Thanks guys. That Shurap guy is nuts, I can't get [bleep] to stick together like he does when I use an arc welder.
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Thanks guys. That Shurap guy is nuts, I can't get [bleep] to stick together like he does when I use an arc welder.

Maybe you don't add enough pepper or hot peppers!
Posted By: elkchsr Re: First Canister Weld... - 12/22/21
Ha!
I Like it!

Nice job!
Posted By: ironbender Re: First Canister Weld... - 12/22/21
What are the dimensions of the square tube you’re using?

ETA: are you adding flux to the powdered steel?
Posted By: elkchsr Re: First Canister Weld... - 12/23/21
I’m using 1 1/4” thin wall tubing. No press or power hammer, and I’m not tough enough to go any bigger. 😀. No flux in the can. Sometimes I’ll put a couple scraps of paper inside before I weld the can shut. In theory, the paper burns and consumes the oxygen. I can’t tell if it makes any difference or not.
Posted By: ironbender Re: First Canister Weld... - 12/26/21
Originally Posted by elkchsr
I’m using 1 1/4” thin wall tubing. No press or power hammer, and I’m not tough enough to go any bigger. 😀. No flux in the can. Sometimes I’ll put a couple scraps of paper inside before I weld the can shut. In theory, the paper burns and consumes the oxygen. I can’t tell if it makes any difference or not.

Thanks. I guess if using plain untreated paper like brown craft paper, it can’t hurt and likely help consume O2.

Fire assay for gold often uses flour as a reductant.
© 24hourcampfire