Home
Posted By: clintsfolly Why? - 05/20/21
I see many of the nice and great knives that your showing will have a leather or cord thong. Some with a bead tied thru a hole in the handle. Why? In my mind I see something to trap blood,fat and goo. This is why I gave up on my folding hunting knives. Standing at the sink scrubbing deer fat out of the inside of a folder is not the way I want to spend my time in deer camp.....
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Why? - 05/20/21
I guess cleaning your rifle after you shot it is out of the question.
Posted By: clintsfolly Re: Why? - 05/20/21
Wipe it down firearm and wash my fixed blade but don’t add more crackers and crevices to collect stuff.
Posted By: Boise Re: Why? - 05/20/21
Originally Posted by clintsfolly
I see many of the nice and great knives that your showing will have a leather or cord thong. Some with a bead tied thru a hole in the handle. Why? In my mind I see something to trap blood,fat and goo. This is why I gave up on my folding hunting knives. Standing at the sink scrubbing deer fat out of the inside of a folder is not the way I want to spend my time in deer camp.....

I asked a similar question several years ago. The answer(s) I received is the lanyard is to be attached to your wrist so you don't drop/loose your knife while working. My working knives always have the lanyard removed.

The lanyard can also be used to pull the knife from the sheath.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Why? - 05/20/21
Originally Posted by Boise
I asked a similar question several years ago. The answer(s) I received is the lanyard is to be attached to your wrist so you don't drop/loose your knife while working. My working knives always have the lanyard removed.

A couple of my game knives have lanyards so described where I can loop over my wrist. When skinning, it allows me to drop the knife and grab hide without having to set my knife down or reach for it through the whole process. Its just a piece of paracord with a knot and doesn't really add any headache to the clean up when done.

Most of the leather and cord (plus decorative beads) I see knives shipped with these days are only ornamental. The Ingrams I have for instance come with leather or cord and an antler bead....for the knives I plan on using, these decorative bits come off upon arrival.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Why? - 05/20/21

10/4

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you use cheap shoe laces or paracord and tie a couple knots it sure makes it easier to pull it out of a tight sheath

Then if you get it nasty,

just cut it off and dispose of it and tie on a new piece.

If you lay it down and forget about it and have to come back for it, a bright colored lanyard can sure help.

If the lanyard has value,

Just take a fingernail brush, soap and water and voila'

ya!

GWB
Posted By: MOGC Re: Why? - 05/20/21
If the lanyard is just paracord or leather lace, I use it and throw it away. If it is a nice braid, I slip it off before I go to work with the knife and stick it in my pocket. It's not a big deal.
Posted By: antlers Re: Why? - 05/20/21
That’s what I use em’ for.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Why? - 05/21/21
Some folks sure worry a lot about what other folks do.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Why? - 05/21/21
I like em.

Something to grab onto.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Something to tinker with.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Boise Re: Why? - 05/21/21
Just take a fingernail brush, soap and water and voila'

ya!

GWB

So running them through the dishwasher is not an option?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Why? - 05/21/21

I have always enjoyed a bloody fat covered knife, they beat the hell out of a clean unused knife, scrub them off, sharpen them and repeat. Rio7
Posted By: Dan308 Re: Why? - 05/21/21
Knife just wouldn't look complete if it didn't have a fancy do-dad hanging from the end

Posted By: Blackheart Re: Why? - 05/21/21
I've been using folding knives for field work for nearly 50 years and never found cleanup a daunting chore. If you did then it would probably be best not to have a lanyard to collect crud and require cutting off or cleanup as that would certainly be too much work for you.
Posted By: antlers Re: Why? - 05/21/21
Dan308,
I think putting a mosaic pin in the bolsters to match the ones in the scales like you do in those knives above looks damn good.
Posted By: clintsfolly Re: Why? - 05/21/21
Ok so some of you like you knives with the throng and beads. I personally don’t see the need and the extra stuff to clean and I will remove them and not look back. Thanks for your insights and comments.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Why? - 05/21/21
Why not just get one made without that pesky thong hole deallie to start with? Then you don't have to fret yourself to death worrying about how hard it will be clean all the crap outta that gaping, now empty hole in the handle......
Posted By: geedubya Re: Why? - 05/21/21
Ok so some of you like you knives with the throng and beads. I personally don’t see the need and the extra stuff to clean and I will remove them and not look back. Thanks for your insights and comments.

IMHO, if we all liked the same things in life.......

Seems like it would get awfully boring!

Best,

GWB
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Why? - 05/22/21
A lot of custom knives come with sheaths that cover up a lot of the handle. You kinda need something to pull it out. You don't have to worry about that with most factory knives.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Why? - 05/22/21
I have short lanyards on my knives made of paracord. Only use hot pink or florescent orange. That way if I lay it down or for some reason lose it, it is easy to spot. I will remove it when I clean the knife.
Posted By: Judman Re: Why? - 05/22/21
They look cool but I don’t use/like em. Leather turns to [bleep] after a few washings, dry, hard. 550 doesn’t horn me up. I just told gene and Rocky no lanyard holes on future builds. Personal preference for sure. 👍
Posted By: 1minute Re: Why? - 05/22/21
Don't see an issue with a lanyard, but I absolutely detest cutouts in blades that hang up on bone spurs etc,
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Why? - 05/22/21

Go up to the campfire and ask a religious question...the answers will make more sense.

added, and for what it is worth most knives are "Boy jewellery".
Posted By: geedubya Re: Why? - 05/22/21
Originally Posted by JSTUART
and for what it is worth most knives are "Boy jewellery".

Guilty as charged!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Why? - 05/23/21
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by JSTUART
and for what it is worth most knives are "Boy jewellery".

Guilty as charged!

ya!

GWB

It is the reason I like stag on my knives...matches my outfits.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Why? - 05/31/21
Originally Posted by Judman
They look cool but I don’t use/like em. Leather turns to [bleep] after a few washings, dry, hard. 550 doesn’t horn me up. I just told gene and Rocky no lanyard holes on future builds. Personal preference for sure. 👍

Same. Most of mine have kydex sheaths now too with enough handle exposed to pull it out without the need for a lanyard.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Why? - 06/01/21
I learned to use a thong when cleaning my first elk in a boulder field. Drop the knife and ding the blade for sure, or worse, lose it in a crack between rocks. That said, I have no use for fancy thongs, just run some paracord and throw it away when I get home.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Why? - 06/10/21
I picked up this 'Meula Bison' knife yesterday at Scheels. Looking at similar knives on line, I came across a comment that stated:
"It is not uncommon for these knives with no hilt between blade & handle, to slip their sheathes even with a strap / snap,
and thus become lost."

<> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1003/6810/products/GITC-DM00240_grande.jpg?v=1457184284 <>

I have a couple similar knives - One has a brass lined eyelet the other has no hole in handle - and I won't carry either
on my belt if I'm involved in much activity.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Why? - 06/10/21
Put reflector rope on it if you want a bright colored cord that will stand out at night. People use this on tents to prevent night time trip wires in the camp site.

Only time I left a knife behind was gutting a evening shot deer... a flashlight sweep would have saved a second trip back out.

Posted By: JSTUART Re: Why? - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I picked up this 'Meula Bison' knife yesterday at Scheels. Looking at similar knives on line, I came across a comment that stated:
"It is not uncommon for these knives with no hilt between blade & handle, to slip their sheathes even with a strap / snap,
and thus become lost."

<> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1003/6810/products/GITC-DM00240_grande.jpg?v=1457184284 <>

I have a couple similar knives - One has a brass lined eyelet the other has no hole in handle - and I won't carry either
on my belt if I'm involved in much activity.

For no guard I resort to this approach.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire