Home
Posted By: mike7mm08 Need Fillet Knife - 07/05/21
After an extended session of meat cutting this weekend,I have decided I need to finally get a good fillet knife. I will continue to use my super thin mega flexible 15 dollar bait shop specials for smaller panfish. But I want something high quality for when I am breaking down a deer and filleting heavier boned fish. I don't want a boning knife. Want more flex than that. Have always used a fillet knife on the slightly stiffer side but still fairly flexible. I have tolerated cheap steel that needs frequent sharpening. But the weak point is always the cheapass handles they all seem to have.

So here is the wish list.

Aprox 7 to 8 inch blade mid to full flex.
Quality steel. Open to most anything. Prefer ease of sharpening opposed to edge retention, if I have to choose.
G10 or Similar handle. While I am not going to abuse the knife it is a tool and don' want to have to baby it.
Kydex Sheath. Not carrying it just need some protection. Don't want a sheath to have to care for.
Would like to have the knife in hand within a couple months.
Finally. I would like to spend aprox 150 on the high end.

Suggestions??? Thanks
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/05/21
Give Mike Miller a shout.

He’s here on the forums.

Great guy, he’ll fix ya up.
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/05/21
Northarm Kermode. $154 and in stock.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/05/21
Fish processors on the west coast use the cheap Russel-Dexter knives...and so do I, as good of steel for edge holding as you'll find, but soft enough to take an edge without hassle, almost unbreakable. I do everything from fish to disjointing elk with mine...the most worked knife in my home. The wife has taken over the little 6 inch boning knife...and there sits the 400 dollar Frost set. US made, by the way.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
After an extended session of meat cutting this weekend,I have decided I need to finally get a good fillet knife. I will continue to use my super thin mega flexible 15 dollar bait shop specials for smaller panfish. But I want something high quality for when I am breaking down a deer and filleting heavier boned fish. I don't want a boning knife. Want more flex than that. Have always used a fillet knife on the slightly stiffer side but still fairly flexible. I have tolerated cheap steel that needs frequent sharpening. But the weak point is always the cheapass handles they all seem to have.

Quality steel. Open to most anything. Prefer ease of sharpening opposed to edge retention, if I have to choose.
G10 or Similar handle. While I am not going to abuse the knife it is a tool and don' want to have to baby it.
Kydex Sheath. Not carrying it just need some protection. Don't want a sheath to have to care for.

Suggestions??? Thanks

Quiet Carry Pilot.
N690 steel
.055" thick
G10
Great kydex sheath
$135

Link-------------> Quiet Carry Pilot
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/05/21
The pilot and kermode look like nice options. Both are bit longer than I would prefer though. Really want to not go over 8 inches.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Suggestions??? Thanks

Quiet Carry Pilot.
N690 steel
.055" thick
G10
Great kydex sheath
$135

Link-------------> Quiet Carry Pilot

Interesting line up there...
Originally Posted by MOGC

Interesting line up there...

Hey Gary,

I fell hard for the idea of a 100% corrosion resistant blade and bought the version 1 Drift. It had several design features that were real letdowns at the price point (though the vanax blade was fantastic.) I tripped it and went on with life. Then, I saw a YouTube that showed the V2 where they had listened to knife community criticism and made several fundamental changes to the knife. I bought another Ti framelock and loved it so much I also got a G10 liner lock. They are that good.
The pilot and kermode look like nice options. Both are bit longer than I would prefer though. Really want to not go over 8 inches.

I somehow missed teamprairiedog's suggestion of the Kermode. John and Mike also make a 6" version. My wife bought their Chef's, Santuko and Paring, and I have 2 iterations of the Skaha. Sooooo...though I don't normally recommend a knife I don't have, the rest of their lineup is uniformly excellent, fwiw...
Posted By: MOGC Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/05/21
Given your recommendation, which I respect and appreciate, I'll give them a try.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/06/21
Originally Posted by MOGC
Given your recommendation, which I respect and appreciate, I'll give them a try.

Back at you, brother...

We NEED to do an EDC thread. I was stuck overseas by the Covidiocy and found some really great European knives, then finally got home to a bucket full of folders I'm working through. I figure lots of guys had spending sprees last year while locked in....
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/06/21

I somehow missed teamprairiedog's suggestion of the Kermode. John and Mike also make a 6" version. My wife bought their Chef's, Santuko and Paring, and I have 2 iterations of the Skaha. Sooooo...though I don't normally recommend a knife I don't have, the rest of their lineup is uniformly excellent, fwiw...

Northarm also makes a 6" version... the S35VN steel is good.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/06/21
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

Northarm also makes a 6" version... the S35VN steel is good.

Yep, sorry..."John and Mike" are John and Mike Gudmundson of North Arm.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/09/21
So I did some looking around on here. Found some pics and discussion of Mike Millers fillet knife. Was very nice design little more upsweep in the tip than I would prefer. Was thinking about contacting him to answer a few questions. But just did not get that warm fuzzy feeling about the design. I am certain it is a top shelf knife as all his stuff appears to be

My initial thoughts of Northarm were that it checked all the boxes. Still had a couple questions. I emailed John. It is now three days later and I have a 6" Kermode in hand. I have never had a company respond so quickly and completely as Northarm did. Emails were answered faster than most people answer text messages. Initial I was told I would wait a couple weeks for the next batch from heat treat. To my surprise I got tracking info the next day.

As to the knife it is perfect. Razor sharp extremely flexible nice full handle. First thing I have bought in a very long time that I can't find a flaw with.

Really don't need another knife right now. But I am going to find a reason to buy one of their other designs.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/09/21
Thanks for the update and review!
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/09/21
+1! Nice write up. A pic of the flex would sure be welcome if you get a chance...
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/10/21
[Linked Image]

Flex was one of my questions. John promptly sent me this pic. This is the blade blank. I added the black line to show location of front of handle. With the handle on it I can get a fuzz more flex than the pic. It is not a whippy blade though. It is not flexing unless you want it too.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/11/21
Thanks!
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Need Fillet Knife - 07/22/21
I bought two of the Kermode 6" based on mike7mm08's glowing review...(and because I HATE recommending something I haven't used)... One for my wife in the kitchen, the other for me...(I'd forgotten we got a Lynx and Mallard to be the cutlery in our Camper Van so I got one to round out that set too). As usual, impeccable customer service. Knives are flawless!
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Need Fillet Knife - 08/07/21
Just wanted to add a update. Been using the knife a bit. Still have not sat down to dismantle a whole critter or a cooler full of fish. But I can tell it is a keeper. Feels like an extension of my hand. Granted use has been limited but the edge is showing no wear at all. Too many times a new knife has such a fine and perfect edge on it that one use rolls it over.
© 24hourcampfire