Home
Posted By: BenelliHunter Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
I don’t know why I thought I would ask a question about custom knives on a forum about knives. Obviously this is a forum for trolls. My wife wanted ideas for me for Christmas and instead of ideas we received a bunch of douchebags whacking on a keyboard amongst other things.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
Advice...? Leave off the guthook. It's unnecessary, adds bulk and it is ugly as chit and will screw up the looks of what might otherwise be a nice custom knife.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
No chit...... If ya want a guthook, get a zipper knife.
Posted By: BenelliHunter Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
So, two guys with nothing to say. Happy Halloween.
You just aren't listening. Not many folks around here that use a knife on critters more than Hunts. He's kinda like that EF Hutton guy, probably should keep an ear open when he offers advice.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
my advice is, if the guy wants a humongous knife with a gargantuan guthook, he should get one. Maybe grind one on the end of a machete?.......

not much, more 'custom', than that.....
Posted By: geedubya Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21

Google is your friend.

https://knife-depot.com/collections/gut-hook-knives

A cursory search would illustrate any number of commercial items.

I'm sure you could find a maker that would accede to your wishes!

Good luck in your quest.

ya!

GWB
I must have missed something. I don't see a question to give advice on.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
I have a low inventory ,everything selling pretty fast .

Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I must have missed something. I don't see a question to give advice on.

Tim,

You did.

IIRC in his original query the OP asked for "advice" in regards to the acquisition of a custom knife that incorporated a gut-hook. He did not like the responses he got. Consequently he edited his post.......

I don’t know why I thought I would ask a question about custom knives on a forum about knives. Obviously this is a forum for trolls. My wife wanted ideas for me for Christmas and instead of ideas we received a bunch of douchebags whacking on a keyboard amongst other things.

"Last edited by BenelliHunter; 1 hour ago."

Some folks seem to have tender feelers, or are looking to be offended. If that be the case a forum such as this that is frequented by a somewhat small group of regulars who happen, for the most part to be "knife guys" , is just the place.

Perhaps you, or another maker can suggest where he can commission a custom knife with a gut-hook.

I would have suggested a maker, but even though I have quite a few customs by at least a couple dozen makers, I've never seen or asked for one of their creations to feature a gut hook. I tend to agree with the sentiments of MOGC and Hunt's. I do use gut hooks, but not on my custom knives.....

ya!

GWB

PS:

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-002745-Vital-Zip/dp/B00I9Y74FI

My bad, I forgot that SR Johnson made a set of Loveless "Lamb" Repros' that featured a gut-hook.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IIRC the set sold for north of $10K, which is above my pain threshhold!

Consequently I asked both Gene Ingram and TK Steingass to fashion me a set, sans gut-hook blade.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
I am not a fan of hunting knives with integral gut hooks. They always seem in the way during the skinning and deboning process for me. Additionally, I have never done well at sharpening the gut hook groove. I much prefer to keep a separate "zipper" knife (or whatever they're called) for that work. There are several varieties out there but the ones that use a replaceable utility razor blade make quick work and no need for sharpening.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
I want a specific thing. And I want you guys to tell me what I want to hear and agree with whatever I say.

What do you think? Lol
Thank you for your advice sir. This type of comment is helpful.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I want a specific thing. And I want you guys to tell me what I want to hear and agree with whatever I say.

What do you think? Lol

No, they gave no advice. They were acting just like you. A keyboard warrior with nothing productive to offer.

Well, I happen to have one heat treated blade with a gut hook just setting around
waiting for someone to want it.
Posted By: woodson Re: Knife advice needed - 10/25/21
Tim do you happen to have a picture of that model finished?
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

Well, I happen to have one heat treated blade with a gut hook just setting around
waiting for someone to want it.

There ya go!

ya!

GWB
I have one finished and one bare blade with gut hooks.
steel is 154CM.

I can text a pic if desired.

Tim
That works. 540-769-7744
Originally Posted by BenelliHunter
So, two guys with nothing to say. Happy Halloween.

They said a lot, but you aren't listening. They lead you to water but you refuse to drink, now somehow they have nothing to say?
The obvious question from the OP should be to Hunts, "What is this zipper knife/blade you speak of?"
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Knife advice needed - 10/26/21
I can't think of a way to get better info than to come in the sub forum, insult everyone, get combative and then just pout.
© 24hourcampfire