Home
Posted By: 1Longbow Western Knives - 04/18/22
Found a Western knife ,made in boulder colo. What can you tell me about them. Thank you
Posted By: steve99 Re: Western Knives - 04/18/22
Based on the information provided, the knife was probably made before 1965. This is based on the Boulder, Colorado marking alluded to. They are well thought of as users.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Western Knives - 04/19/22
They are users.
If it is tired, freshen it up and put her to work.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Western Knives - 04/19/22
Here is a history of the company.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Knife_Company

I have a couple of them. One is a fixed blade hunting knife that I have never used although it was abused by the previous owner (my father). The other is a liner lock folder. Good knives and as noted by others they are users.
Posted By: nahma_mich Re: Western Knives - 04/22/22
I own two of their Westmark brand knifes, a model 701 and model 702. The 701 is the commemorative knife they made when Coleman bought them out in 1984. It's never been used but the 702 sees a lot of use as a general camp knife.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Western Knives - 04/22/22
My dad gave me a skinner sheath knife marked western, a few months back. Owned by my grandpa, and it looks like the style they made in the 50s.

So ..not collector's? Ok to use?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Western Knives - 04/23/22
Not all encompassing but a good representation.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Western Knives - 04/30/22
Western knives have same quality as their competitor, CAMILLUS. - Sherwood
Posted By: ironbender Re: Western Knives - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Not all encompassing but a good representation.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks, Fats. I have one from my Dad's garage with the 1935-1950 mark
Posted By: JohnnyBullseye Re: Western Knives - 06/23/22
Thanks for the info on Western logo history!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Western Knives - 06/23/22
The two knives I have do not match anything in the Western logo history shown above. They were my Dad's so have no idea when purchased.

WESTERN
Boulder Colo
USA
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: steve99 Re: Western Knives - 06/23/22
Certainly prior to 1978 when the company moved to Longmont, CO. The delrin handled bird and trout won't date much before 1960, that's about when delrin came into use as knife handles.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Western Knives - 06/24/22
52-73 on the leather stacked Hunter, 61-73 on the Delrin B&T. Those are fuzzy dates at either end.

Clear closeup pics of any stamps on either side of the ricasso and the guard could narrow it down.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Western Knives - 06/25/22
52-73 on the leather stacked Hunter, 61-73 on the Delrin B&T. Those are fuzzy dates at either end.

Clear closeup pics of any stamps on either side of the ricasso and the guard could narrow it down.

Thanks for the info. Guard stamp on the Hunter is L66 and 648 on the B & T.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Western Knives - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by roundoak

roundoak,

I have the twin to your B&T knife in the picture. I inherited it from my dad - it was his go to hunting knife he carried for many years and it processed a number of deer and elk. I now carry it as a back-up and also for good luck which it has brought me. It a nice little knife!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Western Knives - 06/25/22
Anybody have any info on a Western knife made in the early '80s, that had a Green River Skinner inspired blade and an orange Zytel or rubber handle?
Posted By: steve99 Re: Western Knives - 06/26/22
I have a reprint of their No. 54 catalog and believe it to be from the early 80's. Didn't see a knife as you describe.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Western Knives - 06/26/22
steve99, I found it. It was made in 1987, after Coleman acquired Western in '84. It was called the R14. If it wasn't such a PIA, I'd post up an image.

Couldn't find the one with the orange handle, but just bought one with the black handle.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Western Knives - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by roundoak

roundoak,

I have the twin to your B&T knife in the picture. I inherited it from my dad - it was his go to hunting knife he carried for many years and it processed a number of deer and elk. I now carry it as a back-up and also for good luck which it has brought me. It a nice little knife!

Nice one Oregonmuley, the style is "Bird and Trout" but, mine has processed more big game then anything else.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Western Knives - 06/26/22
Man, that B&T knife brings back some memories! Mine actually gets used for fish and small game mostly but it has done a couple of blacktail "meat bucks" and a large feral hog, too. Using knives for real! My mom gave me mine for Christmas!

christmas
Posted By: steve99 Re: Western Knives - 06/27/22
Got this in recently, an S-521 folder with the bobcat etch. Sellers pic.

Attached picture Western S 521 a.jpg
Posted By: ipopum Re: Western Knives - 07/30/22
I have a 3 blade folder much like what Old Timer call a stockman but mine is only about 31/2 inches long. I got it at a garage sale in the 70s

and have carried it in my pocket every day since. It will take a good edge that will last.
Posted By: DanMcO Re: Western Knives - 11/17/22
I have multiple Westmark knives, 701, 702, and 703. I have used them for years and absolutely love them. I have a 702 safe queen and the others are users. At one time they were selling for quite a high price on ebay but in checking recently it looks like they may have devalued some.
© 24hourcampfire