Home
Posted By: RipSnort Flat or Convex grind ??? - 06/22/22
For a dedicated skinning knife, what is your personal preference: a flat grind or a convex grind? Why?

Thanks, RS
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Flat or Convex grind ??? - 06/22/22
I absolutely SUCK at sharpening a convex edge.....and because of that, pretty much all of my knives are flat secondary bevel types.

Just never put much time on convex edges...or scandi.
Don’t forget about hollow ground blades.
Posted By: Keith1 Re: Flat or Convex grind ??? - 06/22/22
For me I am right the opposite of War Eagle. Convex is easier for me to sharpen and touch up.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Flat or Convex grind ??? - 06/22/22
I'd rather have a good hollow ground or flat ground blade. Something nice and thin behind the edge that will really slice and cut well.
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I absolutely SUCK at sharpening a convex edge.....and because of that, pretty much all of my knives are flat secondary bevel types.

Just never put much time on convex edges...or scandi.
You have to use a leather strop loaded with compound. It's a totally different approach to maintaining an edge vs hollow grind or secondary bevel. It's about pulling the blade in the opposite direction from the edge.
Posted By: Leftybolt Re: Flat or Convex grind ??? - 06/27/22
Easiest way I’ve found to maintain a convex ground blade is to take a neoprene computer mouse pad and cover it with 1200-1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. As you strop the blade across the pad put just enough pressure on it that the rubber mouse pad conforms to the convex contour of the blade…it only takes a very little amount of pressure….easy peasy.😊
Makes sharpening a convex grind very simple and no messy compounds to deal with.
Knives sharpened this way are scary sharp!

I’ve never used a sharper knife than a convex grind!

Having said that, I own both hollow and flat grind knives as well. Got a dandy flat grind that Michiganroadkill made up for me a couple years ago…it’ll be on my belt this Oct hunting mulies/elk in Utah(pic below).😁

Leftybolt

Attached picture D110A116-075A-49E4-9EB1-009418B51F38.jpeg
Attached picture FAB4D865-2BE1-4AA2-89A5-51AD9233BCE9.jpeg
© 24hourcampfire