Home
Fellas, gotta decide between a2 or 154cm for the two knives I’m having made up. I want them to pass down to my son when I hang em up, and maybe his kids after. I read a fair bit about discoloration / corrosion with a2.

Any of you guys ever see a2 that was older and not discoloured.

Caring for knives, and giving them a wipe of oil is not a big deal for me, but I can always go 154cm.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Once the A2 develops a " patina" ,that adds to it's " corrosion resistance" ,but it is a carbon steel so it has to be treated as such great steel though
If neglected A2 will rust. A2 is for sure going to discolor and develop a patina. Patina is not bad, that helps protect from rust and gives the blade character. Some makers acid wash carbon tool steels and that gives it very good corrosion resistance. Personally I don't see it as a big deal but my blades aren't used in ways that really puts them at a high risk for rust plus I'm pretty on the ball about keeping my gear squared away.
With 5.25% Chromium, A2 is not a pure "high carbon steel" in line with 10 series etc steels.

It will stain and get a patina and even get rust spots if not tended to.
Heck even 154 CM will develop surface problems if left out in the elements.

A2 is a great steel. But so are many others in my opinion.
Kinda falls in between the forgers and stock removal.
Advantage of a-2 steel over other carbons. It’s air hardening. Meaning one has control over the heat treating process. A-2 takes a toothy edge, constant heat treating result. Inconsistent results in blueing, patina and etching. Do to chromium content.
I do a forced patina on my carbon blades. Stick it in a tater overnight or mustard and Saran Wrap.
I have some pretty old. A2 blades with no corrosion. Light coat of oil does wonders.
Got a bunch of A2 knives. Flitz polish will take off the patina, if desired, and make them look like new.
Thank you. Appreciated.
sns2, This Olt Chopper was made back in 2011. It has split wood, split deer and hog carcasses, cut vines and underbrush, processed fatwood and a host of other chores. It gets pretty messy sometimes. When finished playing I polish it with some Wenol polish. Sitting in the safe today, it looks almost new.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
sns2, This Olt Chopper was made back in 2011. It has split wood, split deer and hog carcasses, cut vines and underbrush, processed fatwood and a host of other chores. It gets pretty messy sometimes. When finished playing I polish it with some Wenol polish. Sitting in the safe today, it looks almost new.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice tool/blade.
© 24hourcampfire