Home
Posted By: ring3 Pocket knife recommendations - 11/08/22
Carried a pocket knife forever. Recently lost one Ive had for years. Looking for a decent quality replacement. I like the three blade medium stockman style with rounded ends (3 1/4”- 3 1/2” closed). Like blades that aren’t difficult to sharpen and hold an edge fairly well. Used to stick with Uncle Henry but haven’t tried a Taylor (China) one. Anyone likeminded have suggestions or experience they care to share?
Case.....
I have a couple of the Rough Rider that are
decent for what they cost. I'm pretty sure they're
foreign made even though they're not marked
as such. The last 2 case knives I bought weren't
as sharp as a few of the old 70's and 80's
vintage case knives I have. Not sure if it's
the steel, or if they're just churning them out
for the collectors and the japanese or what.
FWIW, there's thousands of old NIB and good
used knives to be had at pawn shop and flea
markets and garage sales and such to be
had reasonably. Not everything is priced sky
high like on fleabay. Last uncle henry stockman
I bought was like $15.00 IIRC. Lots of good
sharp carbon "junk" knives also like you used to
buy at the 5 and 10 cent stores back in the day.
I have a couple sitting right here that are razor
sharp old sabre and imperial brand that were
probably $3.00 new back in the 70's
Lots of em to be had everywhere. Shouldn't
be too much trouble to find a dozen like what
you're wanting.
Moore Maker
Buck 303
For a production slip joint, Great Eastern Cutlery makes a nice knife.
I have a 3-1/4" older German stockman FS on Bladeforums for $85 shipped PM me if you are interested ,it seems like a decent one . They say the older carbon steel is better
Posted By: EdM Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/08/22
https://www.buckknives.com/product/301-stockman-knife/0301FAM01/
I rotate through several Case two and three bladed stainless model knives. They’re easy to sharpen though they’ll dull quickly if used much. They aren’t expensive enough to worry about loosing them but are good enough I’m not ashamed to be seen with them either. My Benchmade tactical knife is kept in my pocket as a just in case it’s needed. I’d hate to have to replace that knife.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Moore Maker

Who is making the Moore Maker knives nowadays? They always have some interesting patterns or handle materials. I do wish they would require heat treating their 1095 a couple points higher from their manufacturer's. They get dull pretty quick, easy to touch up but that's not always possible right away and it'd be better if the edge held longer while working with the knife.
Originally Posted by 257Deland

Yes they do and would be my first choice. Probably followed by something from Buck as a second choice.
Lots of good choices above.

Buying an authentic USA Schrade/Uncle Henry/Old Timer off fleabay is another one.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Lots of good choices above.

Buying an authentic USA Schrade/Uncle Henry/Old Timer off fleabay is another one.

Be careful…..

I’ve read on a couple forums, that when Schrade / old timer went out of biz…

Soneobe bought up the left over USA stamped blades and sent to China to make finished knives…..

Is that true? 🤷🤷🤷🤷
Originally Posted by MOGC
Moore Maker

Who is making the Moore Maker knives nowadays? They always have some interesting patterns or handle materials. I do wish they would require heat treating their 1095 a couple points higher from their manufacturer's. They get dull pretty quick, easy to touch up but that's not always possible right away and it'd be better if the edge held longer while working with the knife.

It Was Queen?
Moore Maker

They make at least 2 grades of folders. The ones with plastic grip scales have softer steel than the ones with natural material scales. My understanding is that they were made in Matador, TX.

My experience has been that they hold an edge very well. At least as good as an older Case and much better than Schrade. I have carried a moose pattern for 20 years or so. With the fur market being down the last several years I don't do as much skinning as I once did but I used a MM trapper pattern in the fur shed for a couple of seasons and it held an edge as good as any others that I've used and better than most but I stopped using it as I prefer a fixed blade for that work, a folder collects too much dirt, blood and fat in the handle.
Queen, Camillus, Boker, Utica, Bear & Son have all made the Moore Maker knives at one time or another. Moore Maker doesn't make any knives on their own, they contract with other companies to have their name stamped on the knife. The older Queen built knives weren't bad knives and were the more expensive in the Moore Maker line up. Camillus built the working line up of less expensive knives. I don't know who they are contracting with nowadays.
I've got a bunch of pocket knives from Case, Camillus, Buck and Schrade USA. There isn't much difference in edge holding between them. Case tend to be the best finished with Schrade the least. I ordered a Queen once years ago and it was poorly finished and fitted with lots of side to side blade wobble and gaps between scales and bolsters so sent it back. Disappointing considering the price.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/08/22
I have always carried buck creek and case the most. Last 10 years or so ive also carried a benchmade for more of a tool and to abuse a little more.
Case would be my choice
Case 6318 or a Buck301 or hit a flea market and buy a USA used Oldtimer by Schrade
I would go Case
Old Timer Barlow (Ulster)
Posted By: MOGC Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/09/22
I was recently gifted a stag handled Case that has to be one of the worst examples of knife making I've ever seen. The fit and finish is terrible, the blades rub each other badly and the grind lines look like a kid has been scraping the knife blade on a concrete block. I can't send it back because it is engraved for my recent retirement. It's a shame really, of course I'm grateful for the sentiment but I wish I could look at the knife and not see such a trainwreck.
Posted By: poboy Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/09/22
Find an old Schrade. The carbon steel blade will be
patenaed (not shiny). Razor sharpness easily.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by poboy

That’s what I like about A2. Rocky has made me some in A2 it gets sticky sharp holds well and sharpens back well.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/09/22
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I located an older Shrade (1984) that will get me by. Made a list of brands and models I like from what’s been discussed here. Giving it to my wife as a Christmas list for her or my adult children. A useful gift that won’t break the bank. Will save me the effort of expressing fake joy about ill fitting cloths, tools I don’t need or other random stuff.
Posted By: Boise Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/09/22

Yes they do and would be my first choice. Probably followed by something from Buck as a second choice.

And that would also be my suggestion. I toured their factory and have several of their knives although I've lost or given away more.
Posted By: pal Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/09/22
Experience has taught me to stick with a lock-blade, which is what I have carried for many decades. Benchmade is very hard to beat.
Originally Posted by Boise

And that would also be my suggestion. I toured their factory and have several of their knives although I've lost or given away more.

GECs are the nicest factory made slip joints I've ever saw. I have a handful and they are all excellent.

The big issue with them at this point is beating the collectors to them when they come out. They only do a few runs of a couple different patterns a year. You might wait a couple years for a stockman to be made then you have to get on a early reserve list to get one. Or pay about double the price on the 2nd hand market.
Originally Posted by poboy

You could do that but there are tens of thousands of brand new USA made Schrade knives and associated brands churning through the secondary market every year.
Browning Joint Venture Sheephorn slip-joint knife.

Saw one of these in my local gun shop recently.
I’m not a “pocket knife guy” but I’m a sucker for sheephorn on a knife….I bought one.😊

Pretty nice knife for the money.
Locks up tight, very sharp stainless blade at 58-60 RC, very nice looking genuine sheephorn scales, 6.6”(3”blade)….$25.99

Leftybolt

Attached picture CAFA087E-B8F0-47C6-9719-E647A2F80E11.png
Attached picture 4B27E444-12E3-4CB6-A8C7-8F45B92C0CDB.png
Couple more pics:

Leftybolt

Attached picture 60FE94B3-E19A-4AAB-9596-BC0908128F63.png
Attached picture AF8D620A-F482-4B8C-A31E-810073E1DBC6.png
I handle knives all day for my job and I wouldn't buy a case unless you can personally inspect it first. They're still good looking but the blades wobble and the handles have gaps and it can be disappointing.

The good ones are still good. Just more rare.

Buck is ok. Benchmade and Spyderco are excellent. Muela is very good.
Got an SMKW email today…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like it.
GEC latest release. Probably about $30 higher than the cheapest retailers that will sell out in seconds. This price might last a few hours.

https://www.gpknives.com/gec-northf...ooth-yellow-rose-bone-folder-818222.html
Posted By: Boise Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/15/22
Originally Posted by pal
Experience has taught me to stick with a lock-blade, which is what I have carried for many decades. Benchmade is very hard to beat.

I've only owned a couple of Benchmade knives but never felt one fit my hand very well. I have since given them all away, the soldier who received my AFO was very happy with it but then grunts aren't all that hard to please.
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by pal

I've only owned a couple of Benchmade knives but never felt one fit my hand very well. I have since given them all away, the soldier who received my AFO was very happy with it but then grunts aren't all that hard to please.

Check out the Hogue knives.
Originally Posted by ring3
Carried a pocket knife forever. Recently lost one Ive had for years. Looking for a decent quality replacement. I like the three blade medium stockman style with rounded ends (3 1/4”- 3 1/2” closed). Like blades that aren’t difficult to sharpen and hold an edge fairly well. Used to stick with Uncle Henry but haven’t tried a Taylor (China) one. Anyone likeminded have suggestions or experience they care to share?

For traditional factory slipjoint style as suggested by your original post:

For USA made GEC is the ticket as discussed above. Check out "Tidioute Cutlery", they are GEC made. Great bargain for a quality knife.

That said, LionSteel knives in Italy is making probably the baddest ass classic folders in M390 for a super price...just awesome...

Also, if looking for something a little different:

Pena X series Trapper - the best take on a modern slippie out there!

And, my favorite slip joint of all time: Manly Wasp S90V...simple spectacular!
Posted By: MOGC Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/16/22
Those Pena X series knives are great knives. Not inexpensive, but really nice. That Manly is a heck of a lot of knife for the money. Along the same lines is the Civivi Elementum series.
Think my wife will be mad? Maybe I can beat her to the mailbox in a few days?

First muskrat style knife. I’m usually a trapper guy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/16/22
I’ve read on a couple forums, that when Schrade / old timer went out of biz…

Soneobe bought up the left over USA stamped blades and sent to China to make finished knives…..

Is that true? 🤷🤷🤷🤷uote]

True, but as long as you know what you're getting they are good knives. I bought 3 of them from

https://www.smkw.com/

SMKW bought up a bunch of USA made blades and set them to China to have handles installed and sheaths. SMKW was selling them for the same price as the Chinese made knives. They came with a certificate with the story behind them. I paid less than $30 each for them.

This is the Chinese made version. The only difference is that my sheath does not include the sharpening stone and the blade is USA stamped.

https://www.smkw.com/schrade-henry-staglon-golden-spike

Since the blade is the most important part, I figured it was a good price for one of the originals. Especially since i see the same knife sell for $100 used. Well used in many cases. I could care less that the handle and sheath is made in China.
I have a couple of Case Trappers I carry often. Lately though, I have been regularly carrying my old Buck 112. Fits my Wrangler pocket nicely but a bit heavy.
A bit of a trade-off I'm willing to work with. Holds an edge much longer than the Case's do.
Jeff
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

https://smile.amazon.com/Spyderco-Manix-Plain-Folding-Silver/dp/B002ECY7XI
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Pocket knife recommendations - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by ring3

I've used many different types of things over the years. I've .. at least for now .. stepped away from the stockman's type knife that you're asking about. I carry a smaller Gerber LST in my pocket for opening boxes, etc, and a Benchmade mini-Bugout clipped to the top of my pocket. The Gerber is for abuse, things that make a knife dull kinda quickly, and the Benchmade is .. preserved .. for when I need very sharp like cleaning trout.

At one time I carried an old swiss army knife ... it had surprisingly "nice" steel but if I cleaned a fish, then put it in my pocket, I'd get about a quart of water running down my leg. Single blade knives minimize that.
Buck trapper. Blade says 382 on it. That sucker gets sharp!
I've carried a Benchmade Mini Griptilion for a long time. lost a black one about 10 years ago, replaced it with a bright yellow one. Still have it and use it all the time.
I've got the mini and full sized Griptilions. I appreciate the Grip part of the equation when my hands are cold.
Case, Buck, Boker knives that I have owned have been great. Hard to beat an old American made Old Timer or Uncle Henry. I tend to like old Barlow style knives too.
I like the old case 1970-90s knives but not much love for newer ones

I agree with others above that GEC is the best current traditional slip joint. They're made in Pa and appreciate rapidly.

I will admit that other than GEC or the older Case knives, I have several Spyderco knives after turning my nose up to them for years. Good choices of steel and high quality work to satisfy most buyers’ needs
They get carried the most while the others sit in the display cabinet.
© 24hourcampfire