Home
Posted By: CashisKing Sharpening help - 11/24/22
What is a good machine/tool/process to buy in the market today?

Wide range of knives... some quality, some less so.

Pocket, Leatheramn, fixed and kitchen type blades.

Thanks
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Sharpening help - 11/24/22
EdgePro Apex

https://www.edgeproinc.com/
Posted By: rd7fox Re: Sharpening help - 11/25/22
I'll second that!!
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Sharpening help - 11/25/22
1x30 grinder. 800 grit belt, and a leather strop belt. Cheap and sharpen anything you want to with it.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Sharpening help - 11/26/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Sharpening help - 11/26/22
Turn loose some of that cash and just get the Edgepro Apex and be done with it.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Sharpening help - 11/26/22
Wicked edge for the win
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Sharpening help - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Wicked edge for the win

You like-a Dat pricey meatball. smile
Posted By: johnn Re: Sharpening help - 11/26/22
I have had excellent results with a edge pro.
Easy to use, I sharpened using stones for years, has a old hunting knife that I lost the edge on and couldn't get it right with a stone.
Fixed it with a edge pro.
Posted By: sns2 Re: Sharpening help - 11/26/22
Any of you fellas use KME? That’s where I’m leaning.
Posted By: Mully220 Re: Sharpening help - 11/27/22
If you start with a quality knife I have found using a set of ceramic crock sticks and a pass on a strop after using the knife maintains the edge and it rarely needs anything else.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Sharpening help - 11/27/22
Edge pro works for me
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Sharpening help - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
1x30 grinder. 800 grit belt, and a leather strop belt. Cheap and sharpen anything you want to with it.

I have seen these in action, but had no idea you could get all the way to 800, 1000 grit. You can also buy a leather strop belt. Did not realize.

I have done OK with a 3x21 belt sander (Ryobi has a flat topside... flipped over) and the 240 grit... finish with a stone or 600/800 grit sandpaper rounds stuck to heavy plate glass etc.

Built a 25 degree jig for block planes and chisels.

Thanks for that info.

Originally Posted by Mully220
If you start with a quality knife I have found using a set of ceramic crock sticks and a pass on a strop after using the knife maintains the edge and it rarely needs anything else.

I am terrible on maintenance of a keen edge now-a-days... but I did just what you said years ago when I only had one or two knives... It is sound advice.

Never tried a Edge Pro or Chi-Com knock off... But I can see the value.

Thanks to all for the opinions... I really do appreciate your thoughts and time.
Posted By: panzerkiller13 Re: Sharpening help - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by sns2
Any of you fellas use KME? That’s where I’m leaning.

I got my dad a KME last year for father's day, and I've got a TSProf K03 (similar to the Edgepro, uses the same stones). He loves the KME (he used a lansky for decades before, and its the most comparable system out there I can think of) and can put a great edge on a knife, but I personally prefer the additional flexibility, better stone selection, and ability to set and measure precise angles and do convexed edges with my TSProf.

If you're more interested in a benchtop setup with a heavier/sturdier base than the KME or Edgepro offers, starting at about the same price as edgepro and going up from there, I'd also recommend checking out Hapstone! You can get a magnetic table for the knives similar to the edgepro, as well as a rotating clamp like the TSProf and swap them out depending on what you're doing! They have a pretty nice black friday sale going on now, but I dont know how long it will last.

They're also made in Ukraine as opposed to Russia, so you're helping out some people that need it as well as avoiding paying a huge premium of mainly punitive tariffs that have been imposed on the TSProf products through no direct fault of their own.
© 24hourcampfire