Home
Posted By: OldRooster Recommendations - 11/24/22
Hey all, I’m looking for a recommendation for a first folder for my 10 year old. I mean, she’s a 10 year old but she’s a great kid. And I hate crappy steel. Where’s the balance point between quality and practicality in your collective experience?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Recommendations - 11/24/22
I'd look no further than a modern lightweight version of the Buck 112/110. Those thin lightweight lockbacks nowadays have modern steels like S30V, handles of FRN up through some decent looking Micarta, one hand opening, pocket clips and that solid lockback design makes them very secure. And they won't break the budget. Easy decision for me.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Recommendations - 11/24/22
👍
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Recommendations - 11/24/22
... or an Ontario Rat2 in D2 steel. Many consider it one of the best folders available for under $100 (well under $100).
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Recommendations - 11/24/22
Dozier kabar.

$25.

Decent steel. (Aus8, There is also a d2 version for more $)

No big loss if misplaced.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Recommendations - 11/25/22
You can get the benchmade mini griptillian with s30 and pink handles. I got them for my wife and girls but the girls aren’t ready for them yet.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Recommendations - 11/25/22
Great Eastern has a lot of great pocket knives

https://www.greateasterncutlery.com/
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Recommendations - 11/28/22
RAT 2 or a dozier kabar would be 2 of my choices.

If its her first knife I'd definitely want a locking folder.

Don't get too spendy. It takes a while to find a knife that's a good fit for a kid that age. Little things like working the lock can make them struggle.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Recommendations - 12/01/22
Be sure to consider where, or how, will she be carrying it? I have gone to progressively smaller knives and clips for pocket carry.
© 24hourcampfire