Home
I'm trying to like my Chris Reeves Small Sebenza as a whitetail hunting knife, but I keep remembering back to the days of using my thinner bladed Schmidt & Ziegler stock folder or even my old Gerber bird and trout knife and thinking that it was way easier making the tight under the tail turns with a thinner blade. Am I missing some advantage of having a wider blade drop point hunting knife?
A small Sebenza has a pretty small blade, I think it is interesting you don't like it for dressing a deer.
I won't even use/buy a knife anymore with wider than 1 inch blade, or thicker than 1/8th inch for use on game......
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I won't even use/buy a knife anymore with wider than 1 inch blade, or thicker than 1/8th inch for use on game......

Yep 👊🏻
Originally Posted by Judman

Yep 👊🏻
I agree.
Jeff, That Sebenza should do ok (for a folder). Another choice, if you like a folder, would be one of those new Buck S35V light weight 112 models. A much thinner blade and easily cleaned.
I vastly prefer a fixed blade for processing deer and hogs. A wide blade, like a semi skinner style does great for skinning, but does not work so well on disjointing, clearing the rear end and for reaching up into the neck to cut the wind pipe. I usually use three different knives when working a deer or hog.

This.

I greatly prefer narrower blades.
No matter what the product, you gotta have all the options to please everyone.
Some love something for the same reason others hate it.
Bird & Trout pattern in a fixed blade or trapper pattern in a folder are my favorites.
Why not??

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They make quick work of tuff chores!

ya!

GWB
Why not? I suppose for the same reason that they don't make scalpels huge. Not that coring the butt out on a deer is precision surgery, it's just some length and a knife that fits through the pelvic arch would make the job easier.
Originally Posted by Dude270

This.

As do I - this one from Mr. Miller is an excellent example of that.

Originally Posted by JGray

This.

That’s a nice looking knife. What does he call that model?
I bought it through Vince M here on the 'fire and he had it listed as a Hackberry drop point. I think Miller has other drop point patterns, so not sure if this is a standard pattern or a one-off.
Blade depth beyond an inch is certainly not necessary and for me less than desirable. I also detest a belly that runs too close to the tip of the knife. That will make a blade act and feel deeper than it is. The bottom blade is 9/10 ish deep and will do it all. I haven’t found anything better. I do find between the two pictured that the extra depth does allow a thinner hollow grind. Which I do like.
I’ve done a lot of work under the tail with that blade with zero issue. You only need an inch of blade for that job.

Windfall: I solved the situation you write about/are concerned about decades ago.
My primary Hunting knife has been the wonderful and wonderfully designed (often copied) Buck Model 317. One of this two bladed folder has THE perfect slender and long blade for removing the end of the digestive canal on everything from Antelope and Black Bear to Elk, Deer, Mt. Goat and Moose.
The other blade is wider and heftier, for use when needed.
I have yet to find/see a better Hunting knife for having along on Big Game Hunts.
Sadly the folks at Buck no longer make this model - I have a lifetime supply that I bought new and some on the used market.
I plan on gifting them to the VarmintChildren and VarmintGrandChildren when the time comes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by JGray

This.

That’s a great lookin’ knife. Love the shape.
[Linked Image from besthuntinggearreviews.com]

This one is pretty handy.
This year I used a Benchmade Puukko that I bought off someone here on the fire. It might have replaced the Puma Hunters Pal that was my previous favorite. Partly because it's S30V steel, but the straighter/narrower blade works better for the around the anus cut.
Without a doubt,my favorite
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I hate a big fat thick blade. Friend of mine made custom knives and gave me one. I gave it away to a city slicker relative from Dallas who was thrilled with it. He wouldn't know how to clean a deer so he loves it.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I hate a big fat thick blade. Friend of mine made custom knives and gave me one. I gave it away to a city slicker relative from Dallas who was thrilled with it. He wouldn't know how to clean a deer so he loves it.

Lol. Too funny.
Thin for gut, skin, and debone for sure. I like the thick bowie style for camp, chop type stuff though. I was given a 5 inch custom when I was 18. It's maybe 1/8 inch thick and Damascus. Buffalo scales for the handle. It's held up good. I carry both in my day pack. But I may order a lil dumplin from Menefee. Looks like a guy absolutely can not go wrong with a knife like that, although I'll always have my SRK.
© 24hourcampfire