Home
Posted By: Judman Phil Wilson knives - 04/30/23
Seem to have a cult like following, doesn’t seem to be a whole bunch out there. Anybody use one? The few comments I’ve seen, sound like they’re holy grail status. Post pics if ya got any. Thanks
Posted By: rd7fox Re: Phil Wilson knives - 04/30/23
I'm on his list for a fillet after 2 phone calls. It's been a very long wait. Hate to bug him again. Everyone I've talked to said his fillet is as good as it gets. It sounded like his intention was to slow down and enjoy a change of pace.

I'd like to see some pics too and would like to hear if he's made anyone a knife in the last year or two.
Posted By: Judman Re: Phil Wilson knives - 04/30/23
I’m on the list as well. Folks speak very highly of his work, like better than Rick or Gene, wanna see wtf
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Phil Wilson knives - 04/30/23
I suspect it has been a lot of years since Phil made more than 5-6 knives per month. Since the loss of his home after the fire and he and his wife's move into town he told me that with travel time to his shop 4 or so per month is the average. I've said it before that unless one's used a Phil knife they simply don't understand...and also, some that have, but don't need the performance, or can't sharpen adequately, won't get the benefit. I'll try to put my thoughts/experience into a writeup that I'll post here, but in the meantime ingest this, beginning to end, and I'll use it as a guide for my review:

Posted By: Journeyman Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
Originally Posted by Judman
I’m on the list as well. Folks speak very highly of his work, like better than Rick or Gene, wanna see wtf

Ricky Bob Post
A couple:

[Linked Image]
A few:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
Thank you journeyman. I watched that the other day. So in your opinion, they’re a step above Ingram or menefee? If so, what’s the difference?
Posted By: Mully220 Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
Journeyman do you prefer his full tang B&T or his partial tang hunter? It looks like you have both.
Posted By: hunter13 Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
I’ve owned and used one of Phil’s knives. My experience was they maintain a sharp edge for a very long time. If that is important to you, then his knife is for you. My impression was that he was more interested in function over form, or maybe better put than form would be aesthetics. Kind of “beauty is as beauty does.”

I understand that he makes this kind of knife when one hunts and kills an elk in a remote area, one can field dress, quarter or even bone without worrying about your blade becoming dulled. I believe that he achieved his goal very well.

I always pack at least two knives; one on my hip and the other in my pack, so it just wasn’t that big of deal to me.
Posted By: hunter13 Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
I might add, on my knife and I think most of his newer knives, the tang, sandwiched between the two scales is only half the length of the handle. The balance is some kind of plastic, micarta or something. I’m lead to believe that for all practical purposes, this construction is plenty strong. I assume it is, but I just don’t like it.
Very nice 13’, i savvy and appreciate the feedback. Do you have any ingrams or Menefee’s, as to compare? Gracias
I noticed that in his video, doesn’t scare me as I don’t really pry, chop or really put alotta pressure on my blades. I simply gut/skin or bone a critter out, where, sharp, there’s not any “hard” use so to say
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
you reach a point where 'better' or 'at a whole new level' is subjective.
I agree with the last two statements. Most probably don’t use their knives enough to quantify if they are better knives. It’s kind of ironic the industries that use knives constantly like butchers usually use inexpensive easily sharpened knives, while we knife addicts go for the high dollar knives that don’t really get used hard.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
Originally Posted by Mully220
I agree with the last two statements. Most probably don’t use their knives enough to quantify if they are better knives. It’s kind of ironic the industries that use knives constantly like butchers usually use inexpensive easily sharpened knives, while we knife addicts go for the high dollar knives that don’t really get used hard.

No different than those that try to squeeze the last little they can out of a group size..

Or lighten up their pack the last few ounces..

Or get the most of a heat treat or edge geometry.

It’s the journey, not the destination.

I don’t have any of Phil’s knives.

I like them. ESP the skinner pattern Journeyman posted above.

I follow a few on IG..

BBB ( big brown bear ) and Waterstone blades. Big Chris also.

They keep chasing the ultimate blade. Cool to see what they post…
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you reach a point where 'better' or 'at a whole new level' is subjective.

Agreed Sam.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
I own a couple knives made by Phil. Cutting performance is better than anything else I've had. Phil grinds them thinner behind the edge than any other custom I've owned so they just flat out cut. They sharpen back easier due to this thinness as well.

Phil also has heat treats optimized for the steels he uses. He is one of the pioneers of premium steel and how to get the most out of it.

I still like and use my Ingrams, Menefees, etc but my Wilson Sprig is the last knife I'd get rid of.

Phil has been nothing but a gentleman and I've enjoyed speaking with him every time I have. He has been easy to work with as well but he won't do custom orders anymore. He makes what he wants and knows someone will be happy to get it.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/01/23
Here are my 2 Wilson's.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

6.5"Punta Chivato in s30v

3.75" Sprig in Magnacut
Awesome pair there Dude270! I want a Sprig someday.
Thanks dude, that sprig was on the list I sent him😄

I love thin blades, and your explanation makes sense. 👊🏻👍
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/02/23
Originally Posted by Dude270
Here are my 2 Wilson's.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

6.5"Punta Chivato in s30v

3.75" Spring in Magnacut

The spring is a nice pattern!

Great looking knives.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/02/23
Thanks guys. I feel lucky to have them.

Phil is not a high volume maker and ain't no spring chicken anymore.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/02/23
Originally Posted by Dude270
... Phil grinds them thinner behind the edge than any other custom I've owned so they just flat out cut. They sharpen back easier due to this thinness as well. .....

I've really began to think about this over the last 4 or 5 years. Most of the knives I'm using are S30V, S35VN, etc...better to catch them early than let to much edge go. I like the scandi grinds on hard use knives but I really began to notice how much steel contact was needed when sharpening them. Yeah, the angle is built in but it's a lot of steel on the stone. Lot's of variety in grinds and they'll all work but no matter how you look at it, it takes less time to remove less metal...thickness matters.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Phil Wilson knives - 05/02/23
BigDave
They keep chasing the ultimate blade. Cool to see what they post…

no truer statement ever made, and on all points! I have been chasing the ultimate bit of steel for over 50 years. The journey is fun, but I have yet to find that perfect one.
© 24hourcampfire