Home
Posted By: RHClark What new knife would you buy? - 07/07/23
What kind of knife would interest you knife guys. I am considering firing up the forge and making a few. I haven't made anything in years but in the past large bowies and choppers sold easier than small, fixed blade knives. I could spend 40 hours on a hunter and not get as much money for it as a big brushed finished chopper that took 5 hours. So, what might tempt you? Be as specific as possible whether it's a particular super steel or whatever.

A large Scottish dirk is on my list and maybe a couple fancy bowies.
Are you forging damascus or just high carbon? One of my best sellers are either carbon or stainless EDC with about a 3.5 inch blade. They are a good value nad come with a sheath that I make. Very affordable.

Then you have the hunter model with a 5 to 5.5 inch blade. Bolsters or no bolsters as well as all kinds of scales. A little more but it's something you're going to use and then show your buddies at camp. Standard tooled sheath included. If you want crazy inlays, costs more but looks cool.

Pocket knives are fun to make but 12 bills to make a basic flipper. If you want custom damascus, mammoth usually 18 to 24 hundie. Add gold engraving and sky is the limit.

Swords, cleavers and the like are money losers as they take too much time to make.
I've done both Dan but won't be making Damascus right now. I'm just interested din what trips anyone's trigger
, whether it be Damascus or exotic handle material, or whatever. I won't be making any swords but large bowies, choppers, parangs and such might be a possibility. I like making them more than small hunters or EDC knives and they usually take less time for me. I do mostly hidden tang smaller knives though.
I have no desire or use for a big knife. 3” or so fixed blades. Like an Ingram B&T are where I’ve spent way too much money in the past and would continue buying. Just took delivery on an Olt #6 drop point a few weeks ago.

Exactly what you don’t like to make.
same here.....
A 3-3.5” drop point.

3/32” (.90”). Tapered tang ( Rick M style).

1/2” handle synthetic ( micarta / g10) handle.
Have you ever forged a Kukri?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Maybe something like the above, Vg-10 steel (or forger's preference)?, exhibition grade desert Ironwood or Cocobolo scales, Stainless furniture (guard, pins, thong tube, cap)

Thinking full tang would be best if hard use was in mind, but could be integral.

Hammer marks left on the blade, Convex grind.

Might be fun?

Quien Sabe,

GWB
Posted By: TimZ Re: What new knife would you buy? - 07/09/23
Just took delivery of a 5” boner from Tim Olt, green camel bone scales, S30V. At this stage I am interested in knives I can use, not look at.
A smaller cowboy type bowie would be interesting.
Originally Posted by Lslite
A smaller cowboy type bowie would be interesting.

I would be interested in something along these lines, say a 5 inch D2 blade, full tang etc.
For me, that would be a daily carry/use.
Jeff
I also have a 5” boner and a snub nose coming from Tim. Can’t wait
I just bought a collaboration knife. Ingram, Winston and Honeycutt…
Originally Posted by Springcove

Great snag!
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Springcove

Great snag!

I am pretty excited about it. It’s a good looking knife and sheath.
Loveless style, 3-4 inches, lanyard hole, brass guard, high carbon steel.
Originally Posted by pacecars

I had at least a 6" boner last I measured.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure you will love your knives.
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by pacecars

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure you will love your knives.

I still have the “potty” sense of humor and I giggle every time. I have a hard time (see what I did there?) writing about a “boner”
Need a blade that is no less than 4 and no longer than 6. Thin, hollow grind, and micarta or synthetic scales. Gut, skin, debone.
If I carry a knife every day it'll be an old buck trapper.
from above

Often egos and reality have little in common.

Build what you like first (unless you have firm orders) then adjust fire from there.

My 2 cents.
I would love to try a flat grind blade, similar in shape to the Canadian Belt Knife, made with one of the newer, "good" steels. I need just enough of a point to get the tip under the hide for starting skinning and like a knife with some belly to it.
https://titan-international-knive.myshopify.com/?shpxid=cf07ecac-3cb9-405a-b348-b90d1c2adbbe
Posted By: Joaa Re: What new knife would you buy? - 07/26/23
Cool piece
I'm looking for a small bird and trout now. I like that CRKT Biwa with the kydex sheath. Be perfect for trout, prairie chickens, and Quail this fall.
Just bought another Ingram. Semi skinner with Jade Micarta handle. It’s my new favorite…
one of mine would be nice lol
Originally Posted by Dan308
one of mine would be nice lol

Your knives are works of art.
To my knowledge Dale is not taking orders, and this one is not mine.

Dale Howe put these two up on FaceBook and there is a story behind them. Perhaps he may tell it if he comes on this thread.

I do believe it is 154 CM and weatherd elk w/red liners.

Anywho,

This pattern with weathered elk scales, MagnaCut steel and one of Dale's indutrial grade sheaths would certainly trip my trigger.

IMHO, it pops!

Ya!
Hoping to somehow get my hands on one made by Phil Wilson.
Originally Posted by geedubya

Dale Howe put these two up on FaceBook and there is a story behind them. Perhaps he may tell it if he comes on this thread.

Anywho,

This pattern with weathered elk scales, MagnaCut steel and one of Dale's indutrial grade sheaths would certainly trip my trigger.

IMHO, it pops!

Ya!

Damn.
Thanks Geedubya,

You’re right, that pair are Weathered elk with red liners and 154. A longtime pard’s birthday is coming up and one of the fellows in his crew asked me to make a matching pair. He brought me a set of horns from a raghorn that one of their high school friends had killed years ago. The friend passed away and this set was from one of their last hunts. Figured it was a damned fine tribute.

Dale
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I have no desire or use for a big knife. 3” or so fixed blades. Like an Ingram B&T are where I’ve spent way too much money in the past and would continue buying. Just took delivery on an Olt #6 drop point a few weeks ago.

Exactly what you don’t like to make.

Tim Olt's knives are beautiful and darn near indestructible. Between him, Hank Hammonds and Rick Menefee, I really don't need to venture any further for incredible knives.

JMHO.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by geedubya

Anywho,

IMHO, it pops!

Ya!

Damn.

+1

Very nice.
A new one (new to me). I did buy here on the "fire'

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...9047/re-arno-bernard-marabu#Post18629047

and I could not be happier.......

just came in today.

ya!

GWB
I like that one
i've always wanted something with the rough dimensions of a K-bar. A 7-ish inch blade, but thicker and maybe a bit wider, with a drop point. a bit beefier hand guard than a k bar but roughly the same overall size and a stacked leather handle
Posted By: EdM Re: What new knife would you buy? - 08/10/23
I have not carried a knife in years given my employer not allowing it. I recently decided to carry a pocket knife and this Buck seemed to be ideal for me. It is an auto and sits in the pocket without notice.

I have to say I am a neophyte when it comes to knives, especially custom made. There are so many great knife makers, many of them here. Same with folks who are always willing to help you learn, for which I am greatful: Geedubya if I may name one.

Dan Thornburg’s folders are out of this world (and a bit above my budget), but it’s only a matter of time before I grab one of his fixed blades which are of his unique and field tested designs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This guys knives - Night Watch Knives - have intrigued me. Appears he is a LEO and so his naming conventions reflect such. What I really like is his “war wash” on the blades. Might be silly, but it’s rather unique and that always catches my eye.

I think I am all but through buying knives. Now I am figuring out how to unload a bunch.
Now I am figuring out how to unload a bunch.

Yeah, I have a bunch of accumulated table stock that I am going to have to find
a relatively easy way to unload. Slowing down a bit.
My pics are not the best and tending to them on the computer is a bit of a pain.
Tim
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I think I am all but through buying knives. Now I am figuring out how to unload a bunch.

Let me know Sam!
© 24hourcampfire