Home
I am looking for a really high quality stockman style pocket knife and wonder what you guys recommend these days. I am currently carrying a Moor Maker but I have decided I want stainless blades because of the humid Kentucky climate. The handle should be stag and the workmanship and operation flawless.
Any suggestions?
Schatt and Morgan with ATS-34 blades...
Case still makes an excellent stainless/stag Stockman. Queen City has some great knives in D2, which is very rust resistant.

BTW, I am a fan of Moore Maker knives. I carry a Trapper pattern.
MOore maker knives-made in Matador TX? Ya'll speak well of these?

Dave
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
MOore maker knives-made in Matador TX? Ya'll speak well of these?

Dave

Yes, they are excellent working knives. Good, honest quality in sensible patterns.
Really-I know the guy who helps make these and he is as dishonest as they come. I have been given 2 of these knives and it took about 2 weeks for the blades to turn colors...I'd go with a buck or a case long before I'd ever carry a Moore maker-

Just my personal experience-

Dave
Check out this guy. He makes some very nice folders.

http://www.tadscustomknives.com/
I've also been very happy with Schatt & Morgan, particularly the limited-edition "File and Wire" series. Workmanship has been superb and they take/hold an edge very well. I was a die-hard Case
fan for most of my life (wouldn't own one made 1980 or later...) but the Schatts have won me over. Do some searching on the net and you may find something you really like, for not a huge amount of money! As mentioned above, they offer ATS-34 and D2 tool steel blades, not just generic "whatever" steel.
John
Originally Posted by bcolorado

+1 Darn nice looking knives.
Originally Posted by bcolorado

He offers a knife for sale every so often over on Bladeforums.com and they last about 5 minutes.
Very nice knifes from what I`ve seen and heard.
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Really-I know the guy who helps make these and he is as dishonest as they come. I have been given 2 of these knives and it took about 2 weeks for the blades to turn colors...I'd go with a buck or a case long before I'd ever carry a Moore maker-

Just my personal experience-

Dave

Thats funny, I've actually carried and used mine for a long time and that hasn't happened. Just my personal experience.

BTW, the knives aren't made in Texas or by Moore Maker. A large knife company makes them to specification for M/M.
Moore Maker knives are made by Queen Cutlery.

Fred
I have four Moore Maker pocket knives. Very good knives hold a good edge. They are made by Queen using 1095 steel. Also have three Queen pocket knives in D2 steel. These are also very good knives.
I had a spyderco that really impressed me. It was just a wal mart clip on special for 40 dollars but it came razor sharp right out of the box, was made out of stainless steel, and was light as a feather.
A relative new maker is Mike Alsdorf from Missouri. He makes a great knife with incredible workmanship. His knife prices are great now, prices have increased dramatically the lasst couple of years. I purchased two last year at the $170.00 range and currently the same models are selling for $100.00 higher. He was named by blade magazine as the "best value folder maker" recently. Check out his website, currently he has a few available. I have never met Mike nor do I represent him, he makes a great knife that is flawless and I have 5 in my collection. Another great folder maker is Ray Cover, his son Ray jr cover makes folders, fixed blade knives and does some engraving. Ray jr's quality is fine but not up to the quality as his father. The two knife folder makers listed above make incredible folders that will not break the bank and will increase in value due to the quality of workmanship by these two fine makers. At their current price values they can even used and I carry an Alsdorf 440C folder that does a great job and in the past I have not been a great fan of 440C. Mike's 440C knives cut and hold an edge.

http://alsdorfcustomcutlery.com/home/
I buy Schatt & Morgan, Queen, or Case when looking for a traditional pocket knife now. Been eyeing up a Custom, but I just can't justify that kind of money
Originally Posted by azrancher
Moore Maker knives are made by Queen Cutlery.

Fred

The yellow handled ones used to be made by Camillus. Queen must be making those knives now too, since I see they're still available on the Moore Maker website. Or they had a huge stockpile.

Thanks for all of the input. I can't personally justify more than $100 for an everyday pocket knife so will look hard at the Queen Stockman of D2 steel. Would really like a Schatt & Morgan STOCKMAN of ATS-134 but none seem to be available.

How do you guys feel about the Schatt & Morgan 420 HC stainless steel blades?

I know that D2 isn't completely stainless but I know it's edge holding qualities and I know it is more stainless than Moore Maker's carbon steel. I am a fan of the Moore Maker and would buy another if stainless were available. Tired of nursing carbon in this day and age.
D2 is so close to stainless it may as well be. I`ve a few D2 blades and have not had a bit of trouble with them, although I do try to keep them clean and dry.
Another "factory" made knife I haven`t seen mentioned that in my opinion are very high quality is the Benchmade. You can get a Mini-Grip from Cabelas with D2 for ~$75 as I recall and the axis lock on them is one of, if not the best, in the industry. They`ve other models at various price points but beware the blue box are USA made and the Red are overseas.
I believe that 420 HC is the the same stainless steel that Buck Knives uses. It is a good blade steel. You certainly won't go wrong with the Queen City Stockman in D2.

I'm really high on the Queen Amber Stag Bone line with
D-2 which is about my favorite steel for a working knife. A few strokes on the sharpening steel for touch up and and occasional lick with the fine diamond will keep you working for a long time. Good rust resistance and a rich handle material--very classic!

They make a stockman or two, but also check out the lock blade designs: Mountain Man, Teardrop and Mini Hunter. Street prices are super for this quality. Queen also makes Schatt and Morgan, a more expensive line, but for the money almost nothing beats the current Queen line.

Nothing wrong with a good old Case either, if you stay with the stockman pattern.
In my relatively narrow experience with slipjoints it's easily Tony Bose and Ray Cover.

PM VinceM and you'll get a quick Masters Degree on the subject...
just for fun check out the new shrade nitro magic picked one up and was quite suprised it is pretty tough not a bad price and a whole lot of fun.

bob.
Been extremely impressed with the carbon steel that Great Eastern puts out. Fit/finish is excellent and the sharpened edge in the more recent knives has greatly improved.....they do offer stainless under the Great Eastern name, and carbon under the Tidioute and Northfield Banners.
All in all better than my recent Schatt and Morgan's and Queen knives.....much, much better and at a very reasonable price.
Only complaint is some of the patterns are a tad large.
For the money ill stick with case!
IMO, Case. Always has and always will. Thanks...Bill.
Queen Knives any good? A Trapper or Stockman in D2 would be great!

http://www.knivesplus.com/queenknifetrapper-qn-19bem.html

http://www.knivesplus.com/queenknifestockman-qn-9bem.html
Originally Posted by aktoklat

Interesting that he wont sell to anyone under 21. Whats up with that? confused
Nice thread here.
Bear makes a good knife 440c steel in good ole Alabama Usa fair price also
this is Bearandsoncutlery.com check it out
bose
Originally Posted by tkinak

Queen knives are excellent knives. Queen makes knives for a lot of companies like Schatt & Morgan, Moore Maker, ect.
Pics of Bear stag stockman 547

* [Linked Image]

* [Linked Image]
If you are still looking KywindageII. I have a Klein tools stockman that is quite simply the best knife I have ever owned. I have had several schrades (made in usa of course), westerns, bucks, and brownings. The current Klein stockman I use has held its edge for a year now. Quite honestly I am a little worried about the day that I may have to sharpen it because I don't know if I am up to it. It is currently sharper than I have ever been able to sharpen a knife.

I am not 100% but I think I paid $50 for mine.
Your Klein was made by Kutmaster a fine old knife Co
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Your Klein was made by Kutmaster a fine old knife Co
Good to know.
check out Al Warren on search engine
KyWindageII got me interested in Moore Maker pocket knives with his original post. I have been using the 5200 for a couple months. It is about as large as I like to carry in my pocket, but still can do the job. I have been using Ren wax on it (it works). I will attempt to post picture (hope it works).

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire