Home
I need some help selecting blades on some Benchmade knives I am looking at. What are the pros and cons between the Tanto and Drop-Point styles of blades. Which is better for general use? How about defense use?

I am looking at the Griptilian and Mini-Griptilian line of products.

Thanks,
Mark in GA
Tanto's are designed more as fighting knives. The chisel tip is designed to punch through items, so if you need a knife to stab through things, thats the route to go.

Drop points are better knives for cutting, and the tip is still going to penetrate. About the only benefit I can see in a tanto blade is if you plan to use it as a prybar, but nobody should be using a knife as a pry bar.
good points 458 Lott. I love a good Tanto, but it is not a camp knife style, its a fighter.
I believe the design we see in America now, is not a true Japanese style blade.
If I recall, the original was designed to punch through the lacquered armor of the samurai.
tanto is a fighter only. took me 20 minutes to skin a squirrel with a good tanto folder as an experiment. shoulda been a 5-minute job - max. and the tanto was sharp ...
You're gonna have fun tryin to sharpen that tanto if it's a user........

I have only 'one' Tanto blade knife, (Cold Steel), and I'm glad I do.

I only wished I would have had it with me late one night (when I locked my keys in the vehicle out along a remote lake shoreline) - but I didn't.

If I was putting my money into a Benchmade Knife and planning to use it for camping, hunting, or defense ... I'd buy the Drop Point blade. They are of a thick durable steel and can stand up to anything.

The drop point blade is popular as a hunting or tactical knife.

It will serve well for skinning or 'jabbing'.
Sounds like the concensus is pretty strong on the drop-point. I think I'll go that route.

Thanks,
Mark in GA
© 24hourcampfire