Home
I just received a small liner locking folder from my cousin for Christmas. It's made by Browning and on the package it says: 7Cr Stainless Steel.

Just wondering how good that steel is. The knife is a frickin razor out of the package, easily shaving a large patch of hair on my arm. Looked up my Steel FAQ page and didn't see 7Cr on it anywhere (or overlooked it lol, it is 1am smile ).

Anyone with experience or knowledge of what its comparable to let me know. I know it probably wasn't an expensive knife, but I'd like to know the steel quality that Browning is using in their knives.

Thanks!
try Fe-26Mn-6Si-7Cr-1Cu alloy
well....lol....i googled that string of letters/numbers and more than 1/2 of the responses were in asian. The one response that was in english wasn't anything that I could understand hahaha.
Craig,

The full designation is 7Cr17MoV. That's basically .7 Carbon, 17Chromium and a hint of Moly and Vanadium. In other words (generally speaking) 440A with Vanadium added, or AUS-8 with more Chromium minus the Nickel.
Cool, thanks for that smile I looked up 440A and Aus-8 on my knife steel FAQ and I suppose, for a $20 gift knife, it's going to be a decent piece. Thanks again for the help!
© 24hourcampfire