Home

Times almost up for me, mine will be done in May 2010.

So I'm currently down for a Bird & Trout, and a #7
What other blades & config's should I look at.
The #4 or one of its similar sized variants screams "Ingram" IMO...
Posted By: joes Re: best ingram configurations ? - 12/26/09
No 7 is my choice.
Mine is a #2 Drop Point Mosaic in Desert Ironwood. It's Sweet.
Pictures wouldn't hurt smile
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Times almost up for me, mine will be done in May 2010.

So I'm currently down for a Bird & Trout, and a #7
What other blades & config's should I look at.

What will the primary use be?
deer & elk
I'm sure these have seen at least 35 deer, half dozen bears and a few other critters.

[Linked Image]
And by the looks,never used on them whistle
Originally Posted by UKdave
And by the looks,never used on them whistle

I'd make a WAG that is the delivery photo from the maker.
No kidding...
Posted By: Whip Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/03/10
I've used a lot of blades for dressing game, and none has come as close to perfection as Gene's Litehunter IMO.
My favorite pattern by Gene is the Semi, either # 1 or # 2.
I know that "best" is subjective, especially when it comes to guns, kvives, and women.....but my favorite 2 Ingram designs would be the Slim paired with the #1 Semi. That's from having/using multiple Slims, the LiteHunter, #1 Bird and trout, small scaled down Drop Point, #30 Drop Point, #1 Semi, #2 Semi, and Lite SKinner.

I appreciate a good skinning knife. I've only used my Ingram skinners on coon, beaver, coyotes, deer, and bear....never played with an Elk. My favorite skinner is the #1 Semi, it just fits my hand like a glove. When I ordered my #2 Semi I thought it was going to be even more better, but it didn't fit my hand like I wanted and it wasn't for me. My next skinner was the LiteSkinner version. While that's another good one that does work for me, I still prefer the fit of the little #1 Semi to the liteskinner.

The Slim/Bird and Trout/Lite Hunter all work pretty good for me when it comes to breaking down meat. I do end up using the Slim more than any of the others though.

My next big Ingram order is due up this summer. One type of skinner I'm going to have him whip up is going to be the #1 Semi's handle with the blade stretched to about 3". I think that just might be where it's at.....at least for me and my tastes.

If I was only limited to a general utility, and skinner, it would hands down be a Slim/#1Semi combo. Ironically those were the first 2 I ordered and I keep ordering more trying to find something I like better and it just hasn't happened yet. I'll keep trying though.
Posted By: Boise Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/04/10
Brad, it's individuals like you that keep Gene's leadtimes soooo very long - keep up the good work!

I started with a pair of Gene's knives in a #2 and a matching #4 but gave these both to a friend. I have since move on to a #7 that I like a tad better. My later pair of #4s with 3 inch blades have turned into safe queens due to my excessive inventory and the fact they appear a tad bit small.

I had Gene build my # 2 with the 3" blade and it just flat out gets the job done better than any other knife i've used in the past. I did a sheep and a moose last fall and it made short work out of it.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm sure these have seen at least 35 deer, half dozen bears and a few other critters.

[Linked Image]

I'll happily give ya what ya paid when you get tired of 'em. That is by far my favorite.
Posted By: fshaw Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/07/10
Is this set the pocket combo or light combo, or a set you picked? Beautiful knives
I'm probably going to place an order this week. Does anyone who owns and uses Ingram knives find the handle size on any of the models to be a bit short for their taste? I have a Bark river Highland and like the handle shape and size pretty well. The Ingrams may fit the hand better because they're a bit slimmer.

I've never handled an Ingram, but they sure look like beautiful knives. I may only order 1 knife from a custom maker in my lifetime, so want to get it right.

Thanks in Advance.

Frank Shaw
Originally Posted by fshaw
Is this set the pocket combo or light combo, or a set you picked? Beautiful knives

I'm not sure which models Scott has pictured there, but the blades look too long to be the knives from the pocket combo.

I ordered these 2 at different times, but they are the exact 2 knives that are in the pocket combo, a scaled down drop point and a #1 Semi. Both have around 2 5/8"ish blades.

[Linked Image]

The dropped lightcombo come with different knives too. That comes with a LiteSkinner and a LiteHunter. Here's 2 of those, same as above I ordered them at different times.

[Linked Image]

HEre's a pic showing the size difference between the little #1 Semi and that LiteSkinner.

[Linked Image]
Thanks very much for the pictures. It puts the knives in good perspective. I'm leaning toward a #1 or 2 semi and have also looked closely at the light skinner.

I guide in the Adirondacks of NY for hunting, fishing, camping, etc., and am pretty avid about hunting whitetails. Given a single knife purchase, do you have a clear preference for all round use between any of the models, especially between the #1 Semi or Light Skinner? I understand tastes are personal, but given the knives you've purchased, our are probably similar. Thanks again for the pictures. They're very helpful.

Frank Shaw
Frank, if "I" had to choose between the #1Semi and the LiteSkinner it would be the #1Semi.

The #2 Semi is a good one too. My gripe was with the handle shape. It has a finger groove in the handle that didn't fit my hands with how I use a skinner. When I use a skinner I tend to choke up on it. My middle finger rests behind the blade and my index finger usually rests on top of the spine guiding the tip of the knife. I find that the tip of my index finger lands almost at the tip on the shorter bladed skinners and that just works for me.

In this pic the #2Semi is on the bottom with the #1 right above it. You can see the handle differences.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JeffP Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/08/10
[Linked Image]

The lite hunter is a great knife.If all you were getting was
one.But you won't buy just one.....

I have a #2 B&T that is awesome for whitetails.

Brad what is that handle on the second from top?
Jeff, that is Buffalo Horn. My #1Semi is also Buffalo Horn. The figure just showed up in the slabs that were put on the Slim.
Posted By: fshaw Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/08/10
Jeff,

What are the two knives in your photo?
Posted By: JeffP Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/08/10
They are the lite hunter dropped combo in micarta.
I have two others in wood for eye candy...
I have 4 more on order,for gifts.
Well maybe one is for me.....
The lite skinner and semi are two of my favorites--but his Spey pattern I think is hands down my all around knife. I will admit, folks talk about skinning multiple moose etc. without ever sharpening them, but I cannot. Maybe I just hit too much hair. Regardless, his S30V holds an edge longer than my Doziers.

Here are a few favorites--although several have found new homes to other campfire members.

Will
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are you CRAZY? You use those things? <GRIN>

Nice photos and great knives.
The above double whammer pair are for when critters are down, the below pair get LOTS of daily use. I hardly ever see anyone with the second knife, but I have 2 of those bastards and get lots of service from them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Steelhead

What model is the knife with the Kydex sheath?
[Linked Image] K16m yukon modified pro skinner
I have no idea on models, that particular one is the first neck knife that I know of that Gene did. We discussed and I told him what I was wanting the knife to do and that's what he made.
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
[Linked Image] K16m yukon modified pro skinner

Now this is a knife I could see me using if I didn� have my own.
Very good shape

Von Gruff.
Thanks I should have paid more attention, this my dozier....whoops
OK

i`ll work something out
Posted By: elim Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/10/10
Steelhead what is this combo called?What is it made up of?

Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elim Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/10/10
Bradarnett I hate to ask but can you take these same pics with a different back ground?I am having a heck of a time seeing them.I am in the throws of figuring out what combo I want.I am thinking a pocket combo?

Originally Posted by BradArnett
Originally Posted by fshaw

I'm not sure which models Scott has pictured there, but the blades look too long to be the knives from the pocket combo.

I ordered these 2 at different times, but they are the exact 2 knives that are in the pocket combo, a scaled down drop point and a #1 Semi. Both have around 2 5/8"ish blades.

[Linked Image]

The dropped lightcombo come with different knives too. That comes with a LiteSkinner and a LiteHunter. Here's 2 of those, same as above I ordered them at different times.

[Linked Image]

HEre's a pic showing the size difference between the little #1 Semi and that LiteSkinner.

[Linked Image]
The lite something or other I think, not sure.

D2 steel and elk horn scales.
elim, I can get you some different pics of those if you'd like. The little drop point is in Oklahoma right now, I shippped it out with my rifle last week. You'll have to wait until I get back from there for new pics of that one, but the others are here.
Posted By: fshaw Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/12/10
Hey guys,

I'd like to thank you all for sharing pictures and information on Mr. Ingram's knives. Before about a month ago I didn't know about Ingram knives. I now have a #2 semi on order in white micarta with a 3 inch blade. I spoke with him when placing the order and you couldn't talk to a nicer man. Delivery in Sept. 2012. Quite a statement as to the quality of the knives. I'll keep my eyes open on the internet for an available knife that will compliment the semi.

Thanks again for all the info and pictures of beautiful knives.

Frank Shaw
Posted By: elim Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/12/10
Bradarnett sure I think I have time.Can you have it done by Sep. 2012?
I really like the #7.
Here you go elim, lets try blaze orange.

LiteHunter/LiteSkinner

[Linked Image]

#1Semi/LiteSkinner

[Linked Image]

Heres a pair of Slims and a Bird and Trout.

[Linked Image]

I'll get you some better ones with the little Drop Point later on.
Posted By: elim Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/13/10
What is the pocket combo made up with?
The Pocket Combo is the little Drop Point, and the #1 Semi.
Posted By: JeffP Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/13/10
Brad
the top combo is my favorite.
I think the lite hunter is about perfection.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Is that the Chuker in the stump?
anybody use the no 1 semi on elk ? was wondering if I could do a whole elk , skin , bone out with just that knife ?
Posted By: Boise Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/21/10
I've used a #7 to complete an entire elk bone out by myself, the elk shown in the picture, an average size bull for my hunt area. I didn't cape out the head. I touched up the blade after the job although I'm sure many hunters start the season with a much duller knife.

Keeping a knife sharp throughout an entire boning job is as much skill as it is the quality of the blade. Banging the edge against bone is going to dull the edge but exersizing too much care is going to extend the time to complete the job. I carry two knives, an EDC and generally a #7. Using the EDC for the hide cuts allows me to go afield without a sharpener.

Sort of corny picture, I share pictures of animals I take with Mr. Ingram with one of his knives resting in the ear.
[Linked Image]
I used a # 2 semi to butcher a dall ram and a decent sized bull moose. Moose hide can be rough on a knife but Gene's knives hold up well. I didn't bone my moose as I was able to get him out on 4 wheelers and back to camp to hang.
Posted By: Boise Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
...I was able to get him out on 4 wheelers and back to camp to hang.

Most definitely the preferred method!!!
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Is that the Chuker in the stump?

Slim
The Chukar and the Slim are similar, and Gene changes his sizes/dimensions every now and then. My earlier Slims are quite a bit slimmer than current ones.
Better call Gene.....!
Originally Posted by jwill350
The Chukar and the Slim are similar, and Gene changes his sizes/dimensions every now and then. My earlier Slims are quite a bit slimmer than current ones.

That is true. These are all Slims on the right, Superseals is included in this pic since I ordered it for him and it came to me. The 3rd and 4th from the top (antique micarta and buffalo horn) are the older smaller ones and I prefer them to the bigger Slims.

[Linked Image]
Yep, I prefer the smaller ones too.
Posted By: elim Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/22/10
supersea is this a pocket combo?what steel?

Originally Posted by SuperSeal110
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
elim, that one is a pocket combo and it's D2 steel.
Posted By: JeffP Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/22/10
Hoarders....
Posted By: elim Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/23/10
Brad if you are ordering knives I want a #1 semi and a older smaller slim in S30v and stag in a pocket combo please...

Originally Posted by BradArnett
Originally Posted by jwill350

That is true. These are all Slims on the right, Superseals is included in this pic since I ordered it for him and it came to me. The 3rd and 4th from the top (antique micarta and buffalo horn) are the older smaller ones and I prefer them to the bigger Slims.

[Linked Image]
have Gene grind them from some real thin stock and drill the handles. I like a nice light knife.thank you sir
LOL....no problem buddy. It seems like we have a lot of knives on order, and we do. I think I have 4 more coming up in July and the same amount next January. But we have had to wait just like everyone else, we just started ordering them a few years back and just kept ordering a few more every few months. Once you get through that first initial wait time you're golden. What does suck is that the first knives we ordered only took like 5 months or so to be finished up and its just gotten longer from there.
Posted By: Boise Re: best ingram configurations ? - 01/23/10
Brad and elim, I would like to try one of Gene's B&Ts. If you ever let one of your's go please consider sending me message. smile
Brad you are awesome.What spot do you want to give up July or Jan.? LOL!!!!!!!!
Brad, what handle material is the top right knife? Thanks.
pa, The top right knife, in the pic with the blue background, has Desert Ironwood scales.

Thanks. I think a B & T with those scales may be in order. Those scales you have pictured really stand out a lot more than the pictures on Genes website.
Originally Posted by pablackbear
Thanks. I think a B & T with those scales may be in order. Those scales you have pictured really stand out a lot more than the pictures on Genes website.

My picture taking ability isn't great, but the top is a B&T with Desert Ironwood scales. In person the grain 'pops' a lot better.

[Linked Image]
Another slim. Somehow I lost/misplaced my other slim. frown
S30V
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire